CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Sean Farrell

Profile:
Starting on my own

I saw the Crossfit games on ESPN last week and I can't wait to give it a shot. I have some questions regarding how to get started. I am an above average athlete and in above average shape. I was in the gym pretty much every day before this. I was thinking about running through all of the "girl" WOD's to get my feet wet. Can anyone recommend whether they think this would be a good idea or do you think I should follow the WOD's on the main Crossfit website to get started? Today was my first day in the gym and I started with Angie. I did it in 40 min 22 sec. Can somebody give me an idea of how good/bad that time might be? Thanks, Sean.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Adam Fisk

Profile:
Re: Starting on my own

Welcome, Sean. It sounds like you are definitely going to enjoy doing CrossFit.

I certainly would not start out by tackling all the girl wods. Some of which include olympic lifts and you never stated whether you are familiar with these movements. I strongly advise that if you have not had expereince with these to avoid them for a later time.

It is a common misconception that people think the girl/hero wods are to be done with regularity. In my opinion, Fran is not something to be done once a week or even a month for that matter. The girl/hero wods are simply benchmarks that test you ability as a CrossFitter. You want to train outside of those wods to become better as whole and thus improving your performance for those workouts.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
John C Corona

Profile:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=45306

This link (wfs) will have a spreadsheet for named wod standards...and a 40 min Angie is well in the beginner realm. More than likely, the pull ups (without kipping) take the most time, then the pushups.

I started in a globo gym, picking and choosing wods, according to what was available, what I knew I could do without injury. I watched the exercise_and_demo videos A LOT, OVER AND OVER!! When I started the oly lifts, is when I knew I needed bumpers and a coach. I think I semi-crossfitted for about 3 months, but nothing should stop you from going more or less. Just know how important your form is, and video yourself, and get some critique on this message board if you want...its wise.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Sean Farrell

Profile:

I am familiar with the olympic lifts. The majority of my Angie workout was eaten up by the pullups(19:30). So you think I should follow the main site WOD's.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Farrell View Post
I am familiar with the olympic lifts. The majority of my Angie workout was eaten up by the pullups(19:30). So you think I should follow the main site WOD's.
I started on my own too. That being said, I've spent a few years in CF gyms as well.... and from this perspective... I'd highly recommend spending some time in a QUALITY CF gym (make sure they are big on oly lifting, gymnastic, read: technical skills) to further your skills and make you are doing things not only safely but efficiently to improve your fitness in a faster way. After you do that, drop $500 on a solid setup and never have to pay for a membership.

Why do you want to start on your own?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

What are your goals? Without that, it's impossible to give you an educated opinion as to where you should start.