CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #1
Rick Ihrie

Profile:
I've seen some posts on contrast baths. Does anyone have any practical advice on how long to stay under the hot v. cold H20 in a shower (not the immersion method) I have been trying about 2 minutes each cycle and going, hot, cold x 3 and that seems pretty good, but if anyone has had success using other protocols I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!!
Old 10-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
Rob McBee

Profile:
Hey Rick,

What I've read is about what you're already doing. Something like 4-5 min. at each extreme and alternate 4-5 times. Experiment and see how it affects your recovery.

Immersion is probably the most effective but a huge challenge mentally. I read an article on former NFL lineman/psycho Bill Romanowski and he was a big believer in cold immersion. He said if he soaked in something crazy like 50 degree water for 15 min. the day after a game, all his bruises and pain would be completely gone. I would hope so after such a torture test but it makes sense in the ice vs. inflammation context.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
Sean Harrison

Profile:
i tried going in water that was apparently 7 degress ( in a hotel in Taiwan) and I could only put my legs in up to just below the you-know-what.
It felt like my skin that was immersed shrunk and started squeezing me in a rippling effect. weird. i'll not try again
Old 10-10-2005, 03:25 AM   #5
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I've done cold bath at home. Not sure of the temperature. First 30 seconds are a killer but your body appears to warmup afterward. You get out feeling great. I recommend getting in as quickly as possible as well.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Try contrasting showers to begin with. You can start with three minutes hot as you can take w/o burning or turning red, then 1 min as cold as your water goes, then 2 min hot, then 1 min. cold, then 2 hot, then finish with 1 min. cold or you can go another round or two.

Have done this after a very taxing w/o when the DOMS was starting up, and afterward I was loose and relaxed and had no soreness at all. Usually I would have been sore for 2-3 days.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I usually go with 30s cold and 1-2 minutes hot, for about 4-5 rounds, ending on cold.

30s is enough for me to get used to the cold, and usually by the end of the shower the last cold shot doesn't feel cold at all.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
After especially hard days, I'll do a contrast shower like Jeremy describes. 1-2 minutes as hot as I can stand, 30 seconds as cold as I can stand for 4 or 5 rounds. Issue 29 of the CFJ has some talk of recovery.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:19 AM   #9
John Vernon

Profile:
I turned my water heater down to the most energy saving setting and am able to go from as hot as it will go to as cold as it will go with a full twist of the shower handle, no need to constantly mess with the temp. Works perfect, usually 3min hot, 1min cold - 3 rounds. I sleep like a baby after one of those, hard days or not I love these suckers!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:56 AM   #10
Rick Ihrie

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Contrast baths are a real hidden gem!! It is pretty tough climbing under that cold H20, but I guess that fits right into the overall C-Fit mindset...