CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hello folks,

I'm looking into yoga and trying to decide what to think of it. My skeptical part thinks there's too much new-age psycho-babble...but my more optimistic side thinks that minus all that, there is some good joint mobility and flexibility stuff there...and I need some of that for sure.

In briefly reading on the web I seem to be leaning towards Ashtanga and/or Bikram. For one, they seem "bounded", meaning a set group of postures (though Ashtanga seems to have a lot more than Bikram). Bikram is also done in a hot room...but can it be done at home also? Secondly, they seem to be more "athletic" so to speak. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it has been my initial impression.

What other comparisons can be made? Should I consider other forms also and if so, what/why?

Thanks from a total ignoramous on yoga...

howard
Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Howard;
Send me a PM, I'll give you my cell number, we can chat.
Been doing Yoga for about 12 years, which really isn't very long and I'm still very lame on alot of the asanas. Ex Runner!!
Jay
Old 06-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
You can also PM me for other thoughts on yoga. I did Bikram for 4 years nearly daily before tapering off to become a VInyasa yoga teacher. MY yoga journey has been 14+ years of various things--sometimes more serious than other times.

But ye, yoga is great for flexibility.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
Kurt Holm

Profile:
I've done both. I couldn't hang with Bikram because of the repitition. Ashtanga/Vinyasa was "easier" and more CF like in it's varied approach. In the end, I think it comes down to making a connection with your teacher. Find a person that you like and the style will fade away.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:29 AM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Kurt, I think what you said is so true. Its a lot abt the connection with the teacher. My current favorite teacher is now my CF coach!! His Tshirts inspired me to ask abt CF and the rest as they say is history....
Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I'd agree with Kurt. I've done both and would definitely lean towards Ashtanga/Vinyasa. Bikram always strikes me as the Starbucks of yoga, consistent but unexciting. The hot room certainly make you feel like your working hard but dubious about any other benefits.

Ashtanga is more varied and will have more carry over to other activities and is just more fun.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
PMs sent to both...thanks.

Any other insights are certainly welcome of course.

howard
Old 06-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
Mike Peiman

Profile:
I started with Bikram's yoga, and did that off and on for a couple of years (the studio morphed into a Moksha studio, very similar style). I've done a variety of other styles, but only occasionally.

Overall I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the physical challenges and benefits of any style, if you choose a quality studio/teacher. My own experiences with yoga have been excellent for flexibility, and a general sense of wellbeing and peace of mind.

Quick comment on "new-age psycho-babble" - you get millions of people diving into an ancient tradition, you get lots of different interpretations from different viewpoints and levels of awareness.

Remember it is an ancient and incredibly deep tradition. Assume it has great value and merit, and look beyond pop-culture interpretations, snap judgements, and superficial appearances. Notice that most of the time, we see what we're looking for.

Do yourself and our world a favor and be someone who inquires into things with an honest curiosity rather than dismissing the apparently strange or different out of hand.

I hope you don't take offense at my comments. I just care quite a bit for the world I live in, and think that understanding and respect of others' beliefs-values-worldviews is key to creating peace in the world.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hey Mike,

No offense taken. I was just laying out my initial biases...but if I wasn't open-minded I wouldn't be pursuing it in the first place.

I've run across similar stuff in martial arts...and I think lots of people use lots of hocus-pocus words without a clue what they really mean. That's not to say they don't mean anything and I often suspect much is lost in translation and the language fails us. So, my emhpasis is to find out physically what is going on first. If other things happen later and I learn how to let my chi flow...well, cool beans.

In my defense...I did admit to being an ignoramous. :biggrin:

howard
Old 06-14-2007, 11:59 PM   #10
Mike Peiman

Profile:
Thanks for that Howard, I appreciate your level response. And thanks for being open-minded as well - which was something I'd acknowledged in my original draft but seem to have left out of the posting!

I can relate to the martial arts comments as well, having practiced occasionally in a variety. I find the two very similar actually, yoga and martial arts. Both a practice with a strong physical component requiring a lifetime to master, and a corresponding inner dimension of which we can say the same. Much of the confusion I think comes when people ascribe their own feelings and meanings to the words, without necessarily understanding the original intent. And so it goes - one problem being there's not a clear science or understanding of the inner (experiential) world in common use.

But it's late and I could ramble on. Happy to read your pragmatic and open response. Enjoy the journey!