CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
I've seen a couple of people who have joined CF after reading the NYT article and/or the Men's Journal.

I'm interested to know your thoughts of the program now that you've been doing it for a bit.

Also, perhaps let us know how the practice of CF compares with your expectations arising out of the article/s.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Kendall Frederick

Profile:  
I've been doing the WOD for about 2 weeks now, after seeing a link to the NYT article on www.slowtwitch.com (triathlon forum). I read the article, found the crossfit site, and thought that the workouts might be exactly what I'm after for my "weight" training workouts (strength/power, injury proofing). It's very timely as I am recuperating from pulling a calf muscle while running Christmas day. :happy:

It's kind of funny; I've been a lifter for years, and a triathlete for a year. I've dropped significant weight the past year, completed a half Ironman race, and feel like I'm in the best shape of many years. I'm still struggling to get the last few pounds of fat off of my abs, though.

Now with crossfit I am realizing that I have LOTS of room to improve my overall fitness! I've been doing the WODs for about 2 weeks so far, and I'm enjoying the variety and the short times. The pullups have been especially hard. I've been plagued by shoulder problems for years, and I am hoping that the intensive bodyweight work will help me fix some of these issues.

Kendall Frederick
Orange Park, FL
Old 01-12-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Kendall, check out the nutrition part of the forum if you haven't already. Many people there seem to have cracked the code to rippling abs, though I've concluded that it comes down to measuring your food, which, for someone who eats away from home so much, is pretty hard to do.

Anyway, welcome. :happy:

(Message edited by matt_townsend on January 12, 2006)
Old 01-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Rod Pettiford

Profile:
I became aware of Crossfit by reading the NY Times article. I guess I'm one of the few people who didn't consider the article to be negative. Of course, I read the article as an outsider, so I had no "invested feelings" at stake.

Anyway, so far I'm impressed with many aspects of the site, fitness theories and members. It's still probably a little early for me to give a bottom line assessment, though. I'm still recovering from some hamstring and lower back flexibility issues that have kept me from jumping in with both feet, so to speak. As a result of these issues, I decided to continue training with bodyweight exercises (no weights) until more improvement is made. I have, however, adopted the 3 on/1 off Crossfit training schedule and recently began supersetting my exercises without resting between sets (well, sort of).

Give me a few more weeks. By then, I should have recovered sufficiently to go full bore with the WOD's.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
Rod,

You may want to go through the monthly archives. You'll find lots of bodyweight-only WOD's to keep you busy until your LB issues are resolved.

Good luck!