CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #31
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Fractional Plates worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carver View Post
I'm a scientist and I still can't get my head around using kilos in the weight room. 225 lbs just sounds more right than 100 kilos. Blame my football coaches.
Consider it done!

In the 1960s were were told that the U.S. was going to convert to metric. Then the U.S. government became inhabited by a bunch of pussies and they backed out. I've been metric-ready since 5th grade...

Drug dealers can handle metric weights. Think about it. They're stoners. They wouldn't have switched to metric if it was harder.

Besides, it's too funny when people say they refuse to use metric weights as they slap a pair of 20 kilo plates onto a 20 kilo barbell and call it 225 lbs. The 45 lb. plate and 45 lb. barbell are metric inventions.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 02-03-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #32
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Consider it done!

In the 1960s were were told that the U.S. was going to convert to metric. Then the U.S. government became inhabited by a bunch of pussies and they backed out. I've been metric-ready since 5th grade...

Drug dealers can handle metric weights. Think about it. They're stoners. They wouldn't have switched to metric if it was harder.

Besides, it's too funny when people say they refuse to use metric weights as they slap a pair of 20 kilo plates onto a 20 kilo barbell and call it 225 lbs. The 45 lb. plate and 45 lb. barbell are metric inventions.
Yea the US said that they would, and things are still inching along. Pun intended. Every piece of pipe in this country is in inches. Most screws, nuts, bolts, etc., are in inches. All the mile markers and signs and all that are in miles.

A recent news story about how retarded the feds are with their regulations told that New York city had to redo all their freeway signs (they were written with caps and non caps, and had to be ALL caps- very important stuff apparently) and that it would cost billions, or maybe it was tens of billions of dollars. Just for NYC.

How much would it cost for the entire US to do it? what drug dealers do, Europeans too, my taxes are high enough.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #33
David Thornton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post

A recent news story about how retarded the feds are with their regulations told that New York city had to redo all their freeway signs (they were written with caps and non caps, and had to be ALL caps- very important stuff apparently) and that it would cost billions, or maybe it was tens of billions of dollars. Just for NYC.

How much would it cost for the entire US to do it? what drug dealers do, Europeans too, my taxes are high enough.

Mostly not true:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/mixedcase.asp
Old 02-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #34
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carver View Post
I'm a scientist and I still can't get my head around using kilos in the weight room. 225 lbs just sounds more right than 100 kilos. Blame my football coaches.
That, plus suddenly having all your PRs cut in half is kind of a downer. Bigger numbers, yay!

Katherine
Old 02-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #35
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
That, plus suddenly having all your PRs cut in half is kind of a downer. Bigger numbers, yay!

Katherine
Just like when you hear that it's 34 degrees celsius and you think, big deal, is that warm or something?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #36
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thornton View Post
Guess I can't rust ABC anymore. Come to think of it, why did I ever?

Anyway, it WOULD cost money up the wazoo to convert to metric regardless. Even if someone smart came up with a simple way to avoid costing money in doing so, the morons in charge will trump logic and uncommon sense any day of the week and bloat the budget, that I can promise.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #37
David Thornton

Profile:

Wholeheartedly agree about that last bit.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #38
Edward Guzman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
I'm small 5'0" 110lb. Sure fractional plates can be are helpful, but are not really necessary. Being able to break mental barriers would be more helpful.
The more I do the Olympic Lifts, the more I rely on the mental and will to overcome the weights. I have to say I agree. Yet I would still like to have the fractional plates since I don't always have 1:30 min. to work through this stuff.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #39
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
what drug dealers do, Europeans too, my taxes are high enough.
The Europeans have standardized currency and the metric system. We can whine about the cost of switching to metric but the problem is Europe is going to eat our lunch because they're running more efficiently. Plus we're half-metric and half-English system anyway. Like I said, 45 lb. plates on a 20 kilo barbell... The U.S. military seems to be handling metric just fine. They shoot 9mm pistols, 105mm howitzers, and any 18-year old boot with a GRE can tell you how far away 3 clicks is. Pay now and get it over with or pay up later and prolong the pain.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #40
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
The Europeans have standardized currency and the metric system. We can whine about the cost of switching to metric but the problem is Europe is going to eat our lunch because they're running more efficiently. Plus we're half-metric and half-English system anyway. Like I said, 45 lb. plates on a 20 kilo barbell... The U.S. military seems to be handling metric just fine. They shoot 9mm pistols, 105mm howitzers, and any 18-year old boot with a GRE can tell you how far away 3 clicks is. Pay now and get it over with or pay up later and prolong the pain.
Alright, real question:

I've just about convinced myself to convert to metric weights (I was an engineer and grew up in Canada... totally get it). Problem is, I can't for the life of me find affordable metric metal plates, and don't want to shell out for a whole bunch of bumpers. having a mis-matched home gym is not an option.

Can you point me toward a source of iron metric plates that's the same price (or at least close to the same price) as in lbs? If you can, I'm sold.