CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Fat Consumption

Hey everyone, I just want to know how much fat you guys consume in a normal day. I'm asking this because recently I've discovered that I eat alot of fat, like a ton. I do paleo, so I don't have a set amount of food that I can eat each day. I have been paying some attention to how much protein and carbs I consume, but I just didn't really pay attention to fat. For instance, my fat intake today consisted of six servings of nuts (walnuts and pecans) and 4 slices of bacon. One serving of nuts is 20 grams of fat and I am not sure about the bacon, but I think it's like 5 grams of fat per slice. So that totals to 140 grams of fat. My protein conumption was around the same amount and my carb intake was a little less. Is this too much fat to eat in one day? because I know the zone prescribes 1.5 grams of fat per block and normal zoners eat alot less fat than I do. If this helps, I am 147lbs and have a solid four pack and visible six pack, but I am just curious if this will negatively affect me overtime.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Fat Consumption

Joe;

Are you Zoning, if so, you know the amounts. Are you upping fat blocks?? Everybody ups fat blocks differently.

There are no RULES, what works for you, might not work for others.

Are you Paleo eating, then again, leaning toward lower carbs most up your fat intake, as Protein is pegged at about .8 - 1.5 G per LBM, so Fat is up to you, along with Carbs.

If you received 20 different replies to your question, would they change your eating habits???? As each of those 20 people have different training goals along with different body types.

Just curious why your asking about Fat intake in such a subjective way??

Sounds like your "ABS" are visible, which must be important to you, so it sounds like your eating right.....
Old 05-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Joe, I take in a lot of fat as well, however, I am zoning and I bust my a** in my workouts. I usually eat a handful or two of mixed nuts in the morning and put three or four TBSP's of olive oil on my salad along with some crumbled blue cheese each day for lunch (as far as fat goes). My snack is usually an apple with probably another 4-6 TBPS's of almond butter or peanut butter on it. Dinner usually consists of the least amount of fat.

Honestly, I do not measure my food and only utilize the "eyeball" method and have been doing it for quite some time with great results (though I do plan to measure eventally to get an exact figure of what I'm taking in). Even with all the fat that I take in my body fat is ridiculously low but my energy level and performance is very good. Try not to judge on how your "six pack" looks but rather on your energy and performance level. Those are better indicators.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Jay- I do paleo and upped my fat intake so that I would not be hungry all the time. I am wondering about my fat intake because I wanted to know if eating as much fat as I as eating could affect my body negatively and cause some disease or something...idk im just concerned that's all. Good point about the rules thing, I should have realized it before asking this question. I

Steve- I have been doing the eyeball method too, even though I paleo. Yea I have been paying more attention to my abs then my energy and performance levels, which is kind of pathetic now that I think about it. My energy and performance have been varying, but I think it's because I got like no sleep at college. I am home now so I'll see how my energy and performance levels are when I get enough sleep and if need be, fool around with fat and carb intake if I think I can feel better.

thanks for the help, I really appreciate it because this was driving me crazy.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Joe;

You never stated your fat intake, i.e. % of Calories, or Grams??

I try(not that it matters or relevant for you) for at least 50-60% Fat, 30% Protein, balance Carbs. If I wasn't presently drinking Milk, I'm easily 60/30/10.

So, are you above 60%, which is not bad, along with your protein and few carbs from veggies, you're good to go.

Keep tweaking, it only gets better.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Well I only tracked my fat intake for one day because I just realized that I was eating alot of fat and I do paleo so I don't know my fat intake because it is not a requirement like it is in the zone. I normally have either a serving of nuts or 1 tbs of olive oil as my fat for every meal and I usually eat 5 times a day. My fat intake varies because I golf so most of my meals are on the go, but I think it's right around 40-50% for most days. I'm not 100% sure about my protein and carb intake, but ballparking it, I think protein is around 30-40% and carb is 20-30% because I know I eat more fat>protein>carbs. I'm stoked that it's summer because now I can finally give the zone a shot (while eating paleo foods) and mess around with my intake to see what combination works best for me.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Suggest Fitday every so often.
Seems like you have it dialed pretty good.

Chow On