CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
Jennifer L Beh

Profile:
Not really sure what to do. Should I just start off with the WOD and try to do them as best as possible without over doing it to start? I am starting the zone diet also and wonder if there is any sub I can eat instead of cottage cheese. My info is 26 yrs old Female 127 and would love to be back at 100. I have three kids and would love to be back in shape before I got pregnant. I have 3 months before my husband comes home and would love to shock him. Any one have any ideas or would like to help a clueless person.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
There's a ton of stuff you can eat instead of cottage cheese. Any protein source.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Here are some ultra simple guidelines http://www.simplefit.org/nutrition.html
Old 04-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Luke Hope

Profile:
I sub an extra-light Philadelphia cheese blend for cottage cheese. It's 85% cottage cheese 15% cream cheese. Has a little more protein and about 1/3 more calories, and is about 10x nicer. :-)
Old 04-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Jennifer L Beh

Profile:
Ok but do I do just the WOD and that is it or do I need to do other things. I am seriously clueless. Sorry
Old 04-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Jennifer,

If you're just starting out (not already really fit), start with just the WOD's, scaled as appropriate. Have you read the FAQ and Getting Started links on the CF Main Page menu? They'll answer a lot of your questions. When it comes to scaling, you can use your own judgement, or try Brand X Martial Arts web-site, which scales the WOD to a level that covers a wide range of fitness. Don't forget the CF Warm-up, which you'll also find on the FAQ. Do it before the WOD. Welcome to CrossFit! Don't worry about results initially, just get used to the program, the movements, and your new diet. The results will come. Three months is a pretty short window, so don't get discouraged. Your starting on a life-long journey.

My wife started the WOD last July at the age of 48. She's lost about 8 lbs, but has gained a lot of muscle. She's probably fitter than she's been for at least 15 years. She's been uncommonly diligent about the WOD and she does not do the zone diet, but she's good about eating a generally healthy diet and moderating the calories.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Jennifer,
Here is the link to our forum. We scale the workout from the front page everyday and are happy to answer any questions beginners have.

http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
Old 04-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Chris Buonamia

Profile:
Jennifer,

I second Scott and Jeff--do the Brand X scaled WOD. It's an excellent resource for beginners (like me) and will keep you from inadvertantly destroying yourself so much so you can't keep working out. Also, use the CrossFit main site to review exercises and form for the movements. Take some time, over several days, to explore the main site and read just about everything. Read the FAQ's twice.

And the WOD, properly scaled, should be plenty. You could add some moderate cardio after that, if you want to rev up the fat burning.

But don't go on a super-restrictive diet or else you'll throw the whole process off. Slabs of extra firm tofu are easy for protein--just lightly oil your pan and brown on each side.

Good luck and best wishes on your husband's safe return. My brother is in Iraq till October. What a f*%^ing mess.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #9
William Peart

Profile:
New member here. What a supportive group of people! Glad I found this site!

I also learned I'm a 'Buttercup'! Cool!