CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Jack Yee

Profile:
100 burpees

Was the best way to do 100 burpees for time? Long and steady or short and fast sets?

Thanks
J
Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: 100 burpees

It would be smart to build up to it, in the same way you'd build your way up to anything else. Start with 3x20 as fast as possible a few times a week, then bump it to 3x25, and 3x30, and so on.

I've never done more than 50 for time, but the few times I've done that many I've tried to get a bunch done pretty quickly then just hold on to my pace and keep moving. I'd take a few breaths when I needed to, but limited rest as much as possible.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Alex Carey

Profile:

Completing 100 burpess for time is a test of mental fortitude. You need to really want to get through it. I've done it once. There's solace in knowing that once you get your chest on the ground, all you have to do is get back up, and after you jump, all you have to do is drop to the floor. You just need to gut through it. I'd say pick a pace that's comfortable for your fitness level and try to maintain it, no matter how badly you want to stop. If there's no way that's in the cards for you, break it up into 5 sets of 20, or whatever is reasonable for you. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

if they are for time then you should steadily be moving fast for the whole 100... it's very doable with a little bit of training... start doing 50 a day as a "buy in", it's a great warm up and won't take more than a couple minutes. when you can do 50 in 2 minutes then you can do 100 in 5 pretty easy.... anything over 10 minutes for 100 burpees is pitiful. 100 burpees sure isn't fun, but it certainly shouldn't be considered a hard workout by crossfit standards, it should be fairly simple.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Joshua Straiton

Profile:

Long and steady is the way to go. I got really comfortable with burpees at one point in my training last year, and I attmpted this workout. My suggestion is just don't stop, or you will be forced to deal with more pain than if you had kept going. My time was 3:18.
Give it a go and see how if feels. One of the most painful wods I've ever done.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
Aidan Carr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
if they are for time then you should steadily be moving fast for the whole 100... it's very doable with a little bit of training... start doing 50 a day as a "buy in", it's a great warm up and won't take more than a couple minutes. when you can do 50 in 2 minutes then you can do 100 in 5 pretty easy.... anything over 10 minutes for 100 burpees is pitiful. 100 burpees sure isn't fun, but it certainly shouldn't be considered a hard workout by crossfit standards, it should be fairly simple.
This isn't a helpful attitude. "anything over 10 minutes for 100 burpees is pitiful" lacks any regard for context. Jack, if you do 100 burpees in 23 minutes but you are on the floor breathing for your life at the end, more power to you.

Perspective, guys. No workout, especially something as taxing as 100 burpees, is ever pitiful. You can argue about different metabolic pathways or whatever, but hating on somebody because they couldn't quite do 100 burpees fast enough to meet your arbitrary benchmark is insecure at best.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
Jack Yee

Profile:

Thanks everybody! Has anybody ever tried the descending strategy? 18...16...14...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
Individual fitness levels define "hard workouts" ... not CrossFit. For all you know you could be telling a 70 year old grandfather that 100 burpees is easy and if he takes longer than 10 minutes, he sucks. WTF!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
Individual fitness levels define "hard workouts" ... not CrossFit. For all you know you could be telling a 70 year old grandfather that 100 burpees is easy and if he takes longer than 10 minutes, he sucks. WTF!
this is very true. i didn't think of possible age or other limitations. i assumed and as usual assuming was not wise. i stand corrected.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Carr View Post
This isn't a helpful attitude. "anything over 10 minutes for 100 burpees is pitiful" lacks any regard for context. Jack, if you do 100 burpees in 23 minutes but you are on the floor breathing for your life at the end, more power to you.

Perspective, guys. No workout, especially something as taxing as 100 burpees, is ever pitiful. You can argue about different metabolic pathways or whatever, but hating on somebody because they couldn't quite do 100 burpees fast enough to meet your arbitrary benchmark is insecure at best.
agreed. if a person pushes as hard as possible then it can be a good workout. the term pitiful was a poor word choice. i was not referring to the workout nor the person as pitiful. i was referring to the time. perhaps i should have said "more than 10 minutes for 100 burpees is too long to need to worry about doing 100 burpees for time. instead perhaps do 20 for time until you can do all 20 without stopping. or, try doing as many as you can in 5 minutes"

i apologize that my first comment was poorly worded and unclear. i always strive to encourage and applaud all those that choose to make improvements and progress