CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-27-2004, 05:22 AM   #1
Paul Kayley

Profile:
After being tipped off by Brian, I've been looking into The Ultimate Diet 2.0 and found this interesting read by the same author...

http://www.trygve.com/mfwalylediet.html

I am considering buying The Metabolic Diet, Bodyopus, and the above... anybody got comments on these?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:15 AM   #2
bill fox

Profile:

Body Opus, Meatabolic and Anabolic, and for that matter NHE, are all based, on "controlling" insulin to take advantage of the good while avoiding the bad.

I have 2 problems with this. Controlling Insulin outside a lab - the way these diets advocate, I'm not so sure. The Athlete's zone is one thing - you're just trying to keep it flat as possible, while not choking out carbs totally. To "manipulate it" - I doubt it.

Second, any variation of this i tried lead to carb binging. I was not alone in this, but I'm sure some more disciplined people don't have that problem.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Good article.

As far as it goes with me, it seems to be more a matter of personal preference. I'm pretty lean already, good insulin sensitivity. The only problem is that I tend to be a hyuuuuuuge carb addict. >:P

-Kevin
Old 04-27-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Kevin-
I am overall very disapointed with the results ofthe CLC plans. It seemed like 'the answer" but not in my experience. Even the metabolic diet they tweak up the daily carb feedings for serious athletes...it starts looking a lot like the Athletes Zone.

It is a little sad for me because I really love nutritional biochem but there is not much left to tinker with here! One can invest an inordinant amount of time tinkering and get no better results than the basic "Eat meat, vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar..."

If we are talking serious endurance athletes we need to consider some glycogen replacement and event nutrition. No rocket science here.

A little protien before training appears to be good.

I really think intermittent fasting might do something interesting with the hormonal system.

IMO the rest is largely smoke and mirrors.

Keep tinkering though! Hopefully someone will find something new in all of this.
Robb
Old 04-27-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Rob -

Did anyone really "discover" it if we've been doing it since the dawn of man? ;)
Old 04-27-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Paul, I think eventually you will settle on a Zone/paleo diet, with customizations made to suit your lifestyle and training.

I tried CKDs but first I really believed all those people when I read them saying "carb-ups make me feel like crap"! When I was reading I though it was some kind of trend to announce your feeling "like crap" after a carb-up. Not so...Apart from stuffing myself during that day, I would feel dizzy, lethargic and irritated the day after.

Besides, I don't like having such a strict and regimented dietplan. Find a maintanance diet, stick with it, go a little around it when you need to, and every now and then, try small new things.

It all comes down to Coach's advice.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:50 AM   #7
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Thanks Alex, the system I am using at the moment is showing great promise.... too soon to be completely conclusive, but you are right it is very close to a Zone approach, with carbohydrate fluctuations in line with glycogen depletion and exercise induced insulin sensitivity

Old 04-28-2004, 05:17 AM   #8
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Well i must have been dazed when I wrote that post too-:happy:

Due to the dynamics our bodies possess it is impossible and futile to apply calculus to how we eat. So it gets down to basic truisms, common sense, and experience.

1. Go Paleo. That pretty much guarantees that your food selections are ALL "good".

2. Go Zone. That pretty much guarantess your macronutrient ratios are the right shares.

All the rest, is tinkering, extras. Bonuses-if you will-that help. Little truisms that if followed, could provide an added benefit to your efforts. Of course, in our community where elite athleticism is the ultimate goal, they are all important and are all usually being put to the test.

My personal experience tells me this. Throughout the past months, I have experimented with various different schemes, while keeping to a Paleo/Zone core.

-I have reduced/upped carbs
-I have reduced carbs drastically (ketogenic)
-I have cycled carbs (both CKD and TKD)
-I have increased and reduced calories
-I have increased and decreased meal frequency and volume
-I have fasted and I have feasted

I am not saying none of the above had an effect, but I ended up eating paleo, with modified Zone ratios (more protein/less carbs/more calories).

I was either constipated or carb-craving, energized or wiped out, too hungry or too full, lethargic, irritated...it goes on.

As long as I have this Paleo pool of food that I can choose from, I know I can't go wrong. The good thing I took out of all those experiments is that I now know to a very good degree what food is what and how much (macros and cals). So now, I can instinctively stay within Zone parameters without worrying too much and I can adapt nutritional "rules" to my lifestyle. Weekdays maybe fairly programmed with regard to what I eat, but a Sunday afternoon lunch at a tavern with friends for example, might be a great oppurtunity for a feast. Likewise, a beautiful day at the beach may be spent wind-surfing, and fasting...

(Of course, don't make me mention how Friday and Saturday nights affect me nutritionally...:biggrin:...Though even with alcohol I stay paleo:happy:)
Old 04-28-2004, 06:34 AM   #9
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Alex, you seem to have it nailed for yourself. Ultimately as you say the ideal is to become instinctively aware of what to eat and when in relation to each days events, and in line with the body's current fuel stores status.

I am getting close to this level of awareness, but would like to increase my wider knowledge so that I can help advise others who are less able to study and experiment in the ways I have.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:05 AM   #10
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I definately don't consider myself "there" yet. Both in terms of knowledge, and of "nutrional mastery" (i.e. knowing the optimal ways of feeding my body).

But it is through this journey of questioning, experimenting and measuring, and through the Crossfit lifstyle that I feel we have the most chances of really learning something valuable.

As far as advising other people, fortunately or unfortunately, that's entirely up to them. Sometimes, I find it hard even dispelling the "eat what you want, as long as you don't combine protein with carbs"-myth.

Your endurance-based questioning is a fresh new POV over here that I welcome and enjoy seeing.