CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Jesse Gray

Profile:
My Garage Gym

I've seen some other garage gym pics on here so I thought I'd share mine as well. Enjoy my work in progress!
I'm not sure how to make appropriate sized pics so I'll just provide links, all of which are WFS
Garage Gym 1 WFS
Garage Gym 2 WFS
Garage Gym 3 WFS
Garage Gym 4 WFS
Garage Gym 5 WFS
Rope Climb Detail WFS

192 SF of floor space, 16'X12'
8 - 4'X6' Stall Mats
2 4'X6' lifting platforms made from High Density Composite strand bamboo (left over from wooden flooring project) on top of 1/2" plywood sub floor
Body Solid Power Cage
Pull-Up & Rings Built into ceiling
White Board Wall
Rope Climb Circuit, I figured if I couldn't go up very high I could go horizontal
1-2poob kb
3-1.5 pood kb
3-1 pood kb
assorted dumbells
1 Ivanko 20kg O-Bar
1 P.O.S. Bar
1 York 15kg Women's Bar
140kg Ivanko Calibrated bumper plates (10-25kg X 2)
Assorted Ivanko iron plates and competition collars
230lbs Rogue Bumpers
1 Dynamax ball 20lbs
Paralettes
Ab-Mat
Cap Flat Bench
80 Tackling bag
Jump Ropes
Assorted PVC, empty, water filled, sand filled, shot filled
1 Inflatable Platypus.

Rower is next on my list followed by Prowler Sled, GHD and Reverse Hyper
Old 03-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Caleb Thomas

Profile:
Re: My Garage Gym

Looks great! Does that pullup bar move at all when you kip? I like that idea and it looks a little less expensive than the kits you can get.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Jesse Gray

Profile:

The pull-up bar is pretty stable. The key is to not make the down stems too long and to use a wrench to screw the pipe into the flanges and elbows all the way. Total cost was around $40
Old 03-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Nice Jesse, puts mine to shame.

Hey, what do you use the filled PVC pipes for, what are the lengths and how much do they weigh at the different lengths? Do you cap them with regular PVC caps and cement?

I would imagine you could use them for a lot of things where you might use an empty Oly Bar or lighter.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Jesse Gray

Profile:

My PVC pipes are 55" which when you subtract 1" off each side for the cap (yes, capped, primered and glued) works out to 53" which is almost exactly the distances between the sleeves on an Olympic bar.
The water filled PVC is about 6lbs, the sand fill is about 9lbs and the shot fill is about 24lbs.
The advantage of having PVC with a little bit of weight is a) you have really light bars you can use to scale for clients (well, in this case my 60 year old mom!) who need more weight than an empty PVC but less than even a very light bar. b) These are really cheap to make c) for teaching movements like the clean and front squat (to a lesser extent the snatch and OHS) having just a bit of weight in the bar gives the athlete a little bit more feed back and allows them to keep their elbows up in the case of FS/Clean.

Try it out, they're a piece of cake to make. I have one old PVC filled with water that I forgot to seal (just put the caps on to see what the weight would be like) and over a year later it still hasn't leaked a drop.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
My PVC pipes are 55" which when you subtract 1" off each side for the cap (yes, capped, primered and glued) works out to 53" which is almost exactly the distances between the sleeves on an Olympic bar.
The water filled PVC is about 6lbs, the sand fill is about 9lbs and the shot fill is about 24lbs.
The advantage of having PVC with a little bit of weight is a) you have really light bars you can use to scale for clients (well, in this case my 60 year old mom!) who need more weight than an empty PVC but less than even a very light bar. b) These are really cheap to make c) for teaching movements like the clean and front squat (to a lesser extent the snatch and OHS) having just a bit of weight in the bar gives the athlete a little bit more feed back and allows them to keep their elbows up in the case of FS/Clean.

Try it out, they're a piece of cake to make. I have one old PVC filled with water that I forgot to seal (just put the caps on to see what the weight would be like) and over a year later it still hasn't leaked a drop.
Thanks, Did you get the shot from a gunsmith?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Jesse Gray

Profile:

The first time I bought shot I got it from Cabela's but it was a bit pricey. I have since bought a 50lb bag from art of strength's website.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Evan Norman

Profile:

Jesse -

Hey do those eye bolts that you put into the ceiling to hang your rings support your weight when you are doing pullups/muscleups? I am looking to use my rings in my own garage, but am looking for a simple way to install them. Do they support your weight alright? Thanks.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
Jesse Gray

Profile:

They work quite well. I use 7/16" SS eye lags. Each one is rated to hold 300+ lbs so I feel pretty safe. I had a kid on a rugby team I train do dips on them and he weighs around 360lbs. They held up fine but I did get a little nervous that one time! He's a big boy! Just make sure you go right into the center of the stud and drill a pilot hole first so you don't crack the wood, the lags are pretty big. The biggest issue I had the first time I hung rings was the width from ring to ring. I just put them into two studs that were next to each other so they ended up only 16" apart which made muscle ups pretty tricky. I got around it the other times by going diagonal beam to beam.