CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Joseph Woods

Profile:
Wall Ball question

I just filled my cheapo basketball with sand. Weighed it, and it's 20lb. It's got some space left in it. Is that ok? Will it bust pretty easily? I am assuming 20lbs is the right weight. I haven't taped it yet, so I can still add or subtract. I cut about a 2 inch slit in it. I didn't have a small enough funnel, but I'm assuming with enough tape it oughta hold.

Also, I just made my first set of rings! I'm pumped. Used the Poor Man's ring recipe and it worked very well. Just gotta hang 'em and start in on my MU's.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Joseph Woods

Profile:
Re: Wall Ball question

Ok, I'm an idiot. I did a 'better' job of searching and I think I cut my hole too big. I found one post with the same question, imagine that. Oh well, if it blows up, then I have about 50 more lbs. of sand, time, and another 4.50 for a b-ball. I wondered why everyone else said it took them an hour and a half and it only took me about 10 minutes! Sorry for the repeated question.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Joseph Woods

Profile:

I think I may have fixed my problem. I filled the rest of the space in the ball with old socks. Kind of ashamed to say that, but I think it worked. I taped it up and threw it in the air! Seems pretty solid. We'll see. Not much of a slam ball, but it'll work for a wall ball.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Michael Whities

Profile:

haha 3 posts and all yours.. I'll break it up a little.

I just bought sand last night for my ball. I'm going to try to make it tonight. I just need to stop and pick up some duct tape and a tire plug set. I bought a new bottle of 3-n1 oil, but I'm going to give that to my brother-in-law for his almost empty one.

I'm kinda playing on the idea of adding a handle to it some how. (Being I only have one-arm.) So I wouldn't have to struggle with it as much. Not like a KB, but something that I can grip onto and then reset into my hand to throw it up. I'll post whatever I work out.

Michael
Old 04-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

a wall ball with a handle is not really a wallball and I think misses whatever the point of throwing a wallball is.

You can plug that hole easy with gorilla glue and/or inner tube patch. Duct tape stinks, use gorilla tape if anything.

Kinda funny that OP was talking to himself for 45 minutes, lol.
Whities, not sure what 3-1 oil has to do with anything. Odd thread.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
Michael Whities

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
a wall ball with a handle is not really a wallball and I think misses whatever the point of throwing a wallball is.

You can plug that hole easy with gorilla glue and/or inner tube patch. Duct tape stinks, use gorilla tape if anything.

Kinda funny that OP was talking to himself for 45 minutes, lol.
Whities, not sure what 3-1 oil has to do with anything. Odd thread.
Being I have one-arm, the handle will allow me to pick it up easier and faster.

I'll look into gorilla tape. I think the tire plug is all that will really be needed.

I'll cut the bottom off the 3-n-1 oil, clean it out and use the tip of it to poke through where the plug is on the ball. Then start filling the ball with sand. One of the HOWTOs here on the board explains it.

Michael
Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Jae Chung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Whities View Post
Being I have one-arm, the handle will allow me to pick it up easier and faster.

I'll look into gorilla tape. I think the tire plug is all that will really be needed.

I'll cut the bottom off the 3-n-1 oil, clean it out and use the tip of it to poke through where the plug is on the ball. Then start filling the ball with sand. One of the HOWTOs here on the board explains it.

Michael
Thanks for the explanation of the 3-n-1. I was wondering what that was about.

For the wall balls, am I right in thinking that you let the ball fall to the ground for every rep, instead of catching it on the way down and exposing yourself to potential injury?

I think a handle that is set into the ball, rather than one that sticks out of it, would be best, but I have no idea how you would accomplish that on a homemade ball.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Michael Whities

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Chung View Post
Thanks for the explanation of the 3-n-1. I was wondering what that was about.

For the wall balls, am I right in thinking that you let the ball fall to the ground for every rep, instead of catching it on the way down and exposing yourself to potential injury?

I think a handle that is set into the ball, rather than one that sticks out of it, would be best, but I have no idea how you would accomplish that on a homemade ball.
No problem. Like I said, there is a HOWTO somewhere that explains it and everything.

I plan to try to catch it on the way down, but I may not always catch it right. So instead of taking for ever to try to get it back up, I'll add a small handle somewhere and use it to get back to throwing it.

I guess I should wait till I finish it and just try it. See how it works without it first.

Michael
Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Marco Pineda

Profile:

Made one last year from an old basketball I found in my backyard, probably left over from the former occupants.

Based on some recipes on the site I cut about a 2 in slit opposite the air valve. I was too impatient to let the sand dry (another reason I went the slit route) so I shoveled it in damp. quite a mess. Liberal use of Shoe Goo which I had lying around, duct tape directly on top of the hole, then duct tape all around the ball in two layers. I tried to get slick and didn't tape over the valve in case I wanted to inflate it. I can inflate it, but it leaks and will only hold the air for a a few minutes.

I have primarily used it as a slam ball. I have probably used it 5 times or so. Granted I'm not as strong as most here, but I haven't seen any problem with the ball so far.

I don't use it as a wall ball. I am more comfortable with the Dynamax at the local Y even though their light (10lbs). I tend to eat the ball quite a bit during wall ball and my home made seems like it would be harder on my face.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
Lou Cabales

Profile:

i m on my second home made ball

my second one is obviously better but still wont hold air too long. i can get 30 or so slams before it needs more air. with air there is adequate bounce for slams.

any one else's hold air

or any idea how i could reseal the sand entry hole. which is plugged, gorilla glued then rubber patched, then a few passes of gaffers tape to hold patch tillk set.