CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:
How many follow the WOD verbatim?

I was wondering how many mix up the WOD a little bit or just follow their own routine using variance and functional movements? Or how many follow the WOD exactly day-to-day?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: How many follow the WOD verbatim?

i follow exactly except when i scale it
Old 06-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Ian Carver

Profile:

I, for one, tend to program the majority of my WOD's. Due to my work and family schedule, this works out better for me. Additionally, I tend to integrate more strength movements into MetCon workouts to meet the needs I want to achieve/fulfill. I vary my pattern of on/off days and still mix strict ME days in between MetCon. In a 3 day cycle, I will often do a "heavy" MetCon, ME, "light or bodyweight" MetCon and then rest. Sometimes it's 4 or 5 days with appropriate rest in between. That being said, I still occasionally follow the main site WOD's for a period of time and/or do one that appears particularly up my alley for the current time.

In the end, I would think most people would tend to follow the main site WOD's, but a few may stray off to meet their own needs. It's the beauty of the Black Box concept - put something in and see what works. You will know real quickly if your own programmed workouts are doing what you want if you choose PR Attempts at Max Efforts or some of the benchmark WOD's from time to time. I do this every few months. If you are not making gains and going backwards in your fitness from your own programming, then follow the main site programming - you cannot go wrong there!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:

Me
Plus the PM WOD as well
its taken a while to learn how to manage it all.otherwise no problems
Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I follow them, but I scale via BrandX. Every once in awhile I may skip if I have an injury or life just gets in the way and I can't squeeze it in.
Last night I went to bed at 8:30, so I didn't do the WOD.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
Sean Ploskina

Profile:

I scale the weighted WODs since I am 150lbs. But since i am trying to be better with heavy weights often I just go with the WOD and accept my slower time. All the bodyweight/running/skill based WOD I do as rx'd
Old 06-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Follow 'em whenever possible.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
Justin Baum

Profile:

i follow it as closely as possible, scaling when necessary but i don't do anything other than the wod.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
Jake Galgon

Profile:

My current routine is to follow a CF style 3 on 1 off schedule, with one of those days being a recent WOD from the main site. I generally pick a metcon workout that is light on the knees and then follow it, scaled/subbed if necessary.

One of the other 'on' days is then a heavy lifting day, and for the third I'll hit the pool (easy on the knees) or possibly run middle distance or intervals (my family has a 1 mile race every Thanksgiving that I'm trying to finally win this year.)

Once I feel like my strength is where I want it I'll be following the WODs more closely.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
Ian Haya

Profile:

My current schedule I CF at my affiliate MWThSa. We follow the mainpage WOD with additional skill and strength work depending on the WOD. On HQ rest days, we either make up one that we missed or do one that Anthony and Jodi come up with (which may or may not involve flipping heavy tires!).

I also play 2 hours of Ultimate Disc on Tuesdays in a city league and try to fit in some tennis and golf the other days depending on the weather. As the weather gets nicer here (we really only get about 6-7 weeks of summer like weather here) I plan on getting in more outdoor activities on the weekends (swimming, hiking, paddling, biking).