CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-29-2004, 08:29 PM   #11
Roy

Profile:

I just got my NHE book today, and I skipped ahead and read about athletic performance on NHE, particularly about intramuscular triglycerides being superior to glycogen stores. Any thoughts on that?

David, could you point me to a website that goes in depth about eskimos? Im interested.

Cheers

Roy
Old 04-29-2004, 11:02 PM   #12
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Intramuscular triglycerides are favoured to glycogen stores for the most part of our bodies' activities. Most derived mainly by the number of activitites, not the effort of these activities per se. (Although you would find that calorically, we usually expend more energy in these activities as well).

For intense exercise, for long exercise, carbohydrate is the preffered fuel source for the body. There is no doubt about that. The whole trick, is to provide your body with enough for this kind of activity while trying to help utilize fat stores as fuel for the rest of its functions.

On a sedentary lifestyle you could go on with NO carbs forever IMO, and still feel good. Apart from the dangers associated with the lack of exercise however, you will not be getting many of the added benefits of carbohydrate sources such as fiber, vitamins and minerals.

And besides survival how interesting would such a life be?!

(Funny-I said survival and i remember one of the guys on the Greek version of Survivor willfully withdrawing because there weren't as many fish in the island as he had thought, and he refused to eat any of the plants, roots etc because they contained carboydrates! That too is seriously estranged IMO from the whole Crossfit philosophy.)
Old 04-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #13
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Wondering a little about the opposite end of the spectrum. I've read that the Tarahumara Indians--among the best runners in the world--live on little more than corn and beans most of the time. I'm not arguing that either all-carbs or no-carbs is better than the other; it just seems like our species is remarkably adaptable. Both the Eskimos and the Tarahumara were fairly isolated subgroups who adapted to local conditions over a long period. Beats me. There's so much involved: The brain runs on glucose and takes up something like 25 percent of the calories we eat; protein has to be processed by the kidneys and the excess is mostly excreted; vegetarians may be more prone to osteoporosis while the Atkins crowd might be flirting with scurvy and kidney stones. Seems the best bet for CrossFitters is to eat a wide variety of colorful in-season foods and to keep looking for that elusive personal balance point. I agree with the majority opinion here, though, that highly refined carbs--sugar, white flour, etc.--are more problematic than most other food categories. They just ain't natural.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:31 AM   #14
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Alex - I made a previous post about 'fast fats' intramuscular triglycerides.... see if you can find it...I'm in a rush so may be able to expand later.

Mark - protein is predominantly processed by the liver, and credible arguments have been made to support cerebral preference for ketones over glucose as fuel.... but it is more a case of proportion rather than being exclusively one or the other.