CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-11-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
so i was in a coffee shop in jersey city this morning at the beginning of my BLS shift. they have this bookshelf with free books. i found this book titled "the prevention method for better health" by J. I. Rodale, published in 1960. i was really shocked when i began reading it, and had to chuckle when i read this in the foreward:

"As far as foods are concerned, the editor of Prevention has worked out a simple rule. He dosen't eat foods that are made or processed in a factory. This means no bread, cereals, milk, ice cream, sugar, canned goods, packaged goods and so forth. What does this leave? Meat, fish, eggs, fruit, nuts, seeds and vegetables. The one exception he makes is vitamin and mineral supplements. They are made and processed in factories. But you will see, in this book, that the supplements recommended by the Prevention System are indeed wholly natural substances, quite different from sunthetic vitamin capsules."

has anyone else heard of this book or author? needless to say i took the book, but haven't had a chance to really go through the book, but think it's pretty amazing so far. keep in mind it was published in 1960!

scott
Old 04-11-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
Roy

Profile:

Scott,

Dan John pointed out to me during a conversation we had about cyclic dieting that the NHE principle has been around for decades. Faigin just "brought it up" he didnt discover it. What you found in that book is common sense for the most part, but it sounds like a good read.

However, I will NEVER give up my canned tuna!

Cheers

Roy
Old 04-12-2004, 08:42 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Scott:

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh.

Youth re-discovers older wisdom, time and time again. (I'm no longer young, but I'm no exception to that rule, by the way.)

J. I. Rodale was one of the true pioneers, truly great men in American nutrition. He founded the Rodale Institute (research into organic farming and nutrition), the Rodale Press (publisher of books about same), "Prevention" magazine, etc.

His ideas have been around since the '60's (as you discovered), or even before. In general, his advice was then, and still is now, golden.

Go to Google, and so some hunting . . . this guy was a true giant (and, like many great men, a bit of a crank). You might also run into the name "Adelle Davis" . . . another pioneer of nutrition.

Amusingly, the Rodale press managed to morph into something larger and more profitable after the old man died . . . they now publish "Men's Health" (the "largest selling men's magazine in the world", according to them).

Their editorial offices are still in Emmaus, PA (a very tiny burg west of Allentown), but the magazine, of course, has a NY sensibility to it.

I also laugh because for all the wisdom shown by J.I., the magazine his company publishes is still about 5 years behind CrossFit. In the last few years I've watched it slowly, grudgingly, start to acknowledge the truth of the principles that CrossFit puts out there every day, for free.

(I think Rodale Press also publishes Runner's World . . . it will be a long time before we see CrossFit principles there).

Dave
Old 04-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
Dave,

I, too, have noticed that MH is slowly embracing CrossFit-like principles. Although to say they're all the way there would be a huge overstatement.

Mike
Old 04-13-2004, 05:37 AM   #5
Bob Long

Profile:
If you are ever in the area, stop and visit the Rodale Institute in Emmaus. I live about 1 hour from there and frequently visit during the summer growing season for organic gardening ideas, etc. Great place with knowledgeable and helpful people.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:55 AM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Bob:

I agree about visiting Rodale, but I'm not sure they encourage casual drop-in visitors anymore?

Rodale used to throw an open house every spring; it was an absolute gas (my wife is a maniac gardener, for her a visit there is like going to Disneyland for an eight-year-old). Also, the food samples were always awesome . . . *really* good baked goods, enough to go off paleo for the day.

Dave
Old 04-13-2004, 10:45 AM   #7
Bob Long

Profile:
http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/about/where_set.html

Try this link. I've always been welcome.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:54 PM   #8
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
The french have a saying; plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. basically, nothing new under the sun.