CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Nick VanPatten

Profile:
Wall ball question

I know the wall ball standard is 20 lb ball and a ten foot target, but shouldn't the target height be adjusted to the person's height? How much harder is it for a 5 foot crossfitter to throw the ball up than a 6 foot crossfitter? Should this move be scaled depending on your height? Any thoughts?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Kevin Trangone

Profile:
Re: Wall ball question

not necessarily. the distance variation narrows because of the squat at the beginning of the throw (transitioning from the previous catch). At that point, because the ball is the same weight and it travels the same distance, the workload becomes the same (or very close).
Old 08-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

As Kevin said, the taller person will have to squat farther down to break parallel, and the the shorter person will have to throw the ball higher.

However, there is nothing wrong with exercises favoring athletes of certain sizes. Bodyweight exercises favor small athletes, both because they have less weight to move and because they have less distance to move it (shorter arms, etc.). On the other hand, a lift at any fixed weight (i.e. not calculated based on bodyweight, like in "Linda") will favor the heavier athlete. Ditto for rowing, extra height and weight gives you an advantage.

In the end, CF is constantly varied, so it all evens out.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Jason Peacock

Profile:

What Jacob said

All movements have an optimal body size, attempting to scale everything to make it perfectly fair is futile - the goal isn't fairness, it's fitness. Getting a wallball to 10ft will make you fit, regardless of your height.

Yeah, it's easier for some people and harder for others, but the next movement will be different (burpess, running, box jumps, rowing, pullups, deadlift, etc).

Comparing yourself to others is good motivation, but you should look at your own performance over time to see improvement, not others.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
Eddie Watts

Profile:

different question
the sub for wall ball is noted as thrusters using double the weight as you're not throwing the weight.
anyone tried karen with double the weight thrusters?

i just did this and it was significantly harder i thought, although overall my time was not much slower.
i'm thinking this is more related to the fact that high rep thrusters are less frequent than high rep wall balls.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
Mac Oneill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Watts View Post
different question
the sub for wall ball is noted as thrusters using double the weight as you're not throwing the weight.
anyone tried karen with double the weight thrusters?

i just did this and it was significantly harder i thought, although overall my time was not much slower.
i'm thinking this is more related to the fact that high rep thrusters are less frequent than high rep wall balls.
I had to sub 45lb bar thrusters for a long time. Now that I can use a wall ball I find that it is much more difficult. This mostly because to be quick you need to be tight and ride the falling weight down into the squat, where as with the bar its not falling down to you...so you can kinda have you way with it.