CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #251
Chad Skola

Profile:
Re: Breyers every night (seriously), explain this

I like the theory of not eating enough on the zone. I eat between 15-17 blocks and have icecream fairly often. Not lately because I keep forgetting to pick some up. But I have lost significant BF, but have not make much of a gain in muscle, strength yes, but actual size, No.

I think I will go back to getting a few hundred extra calories(or how ever much is in a 5th of a box, sometimes more. mmmm....) and see if I can make some gains that way. I may just try uping my blocks by 1 or 2 blocks a meal for a few weeks and see what happens.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #252
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
Well, I suppose the natural test is to try eating warm ice cream for a couple weeks and see how it compares to cold ice cream.

Yummy. :P Any volunteers?
I think they're saying if it's cooked, it breaks back down, but when it gets cold (or frozen?) it becomes "resistant".
Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #253
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
At some point can we just acknowledge that people weren't eating enough on the Zone?
There's no way I wasn't eating enough myself, I was at like 21 blocks during this time, 160 lbs at the time (since gone back up during a few months of starting strength). Plus I had extra fat blocks in there usually.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #254
Jason Lin

Profile:

Another possible explanation could be the old 80/20 pareto principle.

Assuming that you only eat ice cream once a day (as your last meal) and you eat healthy food 4-5 times through out the rest of your day, at the end of week you would have eaten 28 to 35 clean meals "good" meals and 7 "bad" meals. So that means ice cream only accounts for 20% or less of your weekly eating. I'm pretty sure if you start eating ice cream two or three times a day, your result is going to go south in a hurry.

I don't buy the argument that there is anything special in ice cream (it's just cream and sugar). Try feeding it to an average american (if he is not already doing that himself) and see what happens. This whole "ice cream phenomenon" can be attributed to (1) most of us on this board eat cleanly 70 to 80% of the time (2) some of us might be under-eating a bit, and most importantly, (3) we exercise our butts off on a regular basis.

Last edited by Jason Lin; 06-24-2008 at 08:13 AM..
Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #255
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Maybe not EVERYONE, Matt, but the damned thing is known as a restricted calorie diet; it's cool that people can see good performance with relatively low intakes but I don't see why it's baffling that they see even better results with more reasonable ones.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #256
Brian Rosol

Profile:

Ok so i just read this entire thread and i kinda feel a little like it is x-mas. I love ice cream and am very excited about the prospect of being able to eat it once more. i have a couple qustions though, please bear with me as i am new to this whole thing...Does it matter what kind you eat? also how much have people been eating a night? I am deff. going to give this a try and it would be awesome if it worked, wont lie a little nervas though...
Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #257
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Well most people eat whatever ice cream they want, but if you are concerned (which it seems that you are) just eat Breyer's Vanilla. It has five ingredients, the least amount that I have seen on an ice crea nutrition label. When you start getting into cookie dough and stuff like that, the list becomes huge....but it tastes really good . I've read most of it and it seems that there are varying intakes of ice cream. Some just eat a cup or two (which requires insane control) while others eat a bowl full, or like a 4th or 5th of a box. It's up to you, play around with it and see what works.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #258
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:

When I was in high school (2 years ago) and surfed a lot, I would always go to McDonald's afterwards for a double cheeseburger with Big Mac sauce and fries.

We would surf for probably 4 or 5 hours and I also had a weightlifting class right before that summer. Needless to say, I looked pretty good. My metabolism is still like that though, and plus I bus tables at a restaurant sweating all night long. I'm sure I could get away with extra food, this Zone stuff is starving me
Old 06-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #259
Susanne Moskalski

Profile:  

I used to read a bodybuilding forum before I got fed up with the appearance focus and switched to crossfit.

There were many many posts in the womens section about how someone got over her fear of increasing her caloric intake and lost fat as a result.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #260
Tina Dobson

Profile:

I have heard repeatedly that most women who try to lose weight don't eat enough, and that is why they don't lose weight. I know that now that I have gone back to eating more (clean but more) I have started to see remarkable changes.