CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-24-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
Jason Lin

Profile:
Calorie per dollar ...

I'm in the 2nd month of doing Rippetoe's SS program and I feel compelled to eat all the time. However, considering that everything costs an arm and a leg nowaday, I would feel pretty stupid if I should accidentally eat myself and my cat into bankruptcy and straight to the poor house!

So in the interest in (1) continuing to squat heavier AND (2) not going homeless, I started thinking about what food would give me the most calories for my dollar ...

[A little background here: I eat mostly paleo but I'm not militant about it. Also, I am somewhat lactose intolerant (show me an asian who isn't! ) I can drink some milk - just not a gallon a day ...]

So far my stable of "heavy but reasonably cost friendly" food has been: nuts, nut butter (not that cheap, but very calorically dense), coconut milk, olive oil (by far the best calorie per dollar food I found), some milk, ice cream ...

Since I'm always looking to add more variety to my diet, any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciate!

Thanks ...
Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:
Re: Calorie per dollar ...

Are you eating Paleo? I ate Quinoya for a while. It's technically a fruit seed, but dried to look like Couscus. I'm really not sure how it reacts in the body. I posed the question a while back and most considered it a grain. I stopped eating it; however, it's packed full of calories and has the same amino acid profile as milk. I think a cup cooked gives you like 14 grams of protein.

Just a thought. I was actually thinking about bringing it back into my diet because of food prices. I'm eating more tubers now to cut back on the amount of veggies and fruit. Peanut Butter (I know not Paleo) and milk is how I add cals cheaply.

Patrick
Old 06-24-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lin View Post
I eat mostly paleo but I'm not militant about it. Also, I am somewhat lactose intolerant (show me an asian who isn't! ) I can drink some milk - just not a gallon a day ...]

Ok, sorry. It's early. But I'd still consider my suggestions.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Kurt A Gross

Profile:

Quinoa isn't cheap, at least not here. A stick of butter is 810 calories. 4 tbsp of olive oil is 560 cals. I would think fats would be cheaper cals/dollar. How about a tub of lard?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

if you are willing to re-introduce a grain, you can't go wrong with oatmeal for price. I have seen it for 59c/lb
Old 06-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Even Rip talks about foregoing the obvious health detriment of downing a gallon of whole milk a day, but thats because of your specific goal.

Oatmeal is excellent for what you are trying to achieve.

Paleo is great, but you don't have to do it all the time. The problem with most people is that they are eating too much, and thats why they are overweight, not always about what they are eating.

Me personally, I'm not militant about the fruit seeds (though I am very militant about cereal grains, I just completely steer clear), and I will eat quinoa and buckwheat, and use them often in recipes.

Chickpeas can be another option if you like them.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

What is the obvious detriment to drinking whole milk? Even a gallon if your calories match your output.

I would suggest getting a membership at a wharehouse store (Sam's club, Costco, etc). You'll save some cash if you're eating big.

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki; 06-24-2008 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: Forgot to answer the original question
Old 06-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

If you have access to Grass Fed Beef, see what the price is for the Organ meats. Most people do not take the Heart, Tongue, Liver, hence you could get at a lower price.

My beef guy sells most meats in the $3-5 buck per lb, but lets the Organs go for 1.00 a lb.

While you might not find organ meats appealing, I suggest trying some first.

Tongue and Heart both come out tasting like Brisket. I've given many samples to friends and they loved the taste, but were grossed out by the thoughts of what they were eating.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
Jason Lin

Profile:

I actually bought a stick of unsalted butter the other day because of its calories (talk about calorie-envy!). But because it has been so long since I used butter in anything I was actually at a loss as to what to do with it. Last night I fried some eggs in it but the combination of yolk and butter kind of grossed me out!

Jay, I'm going to get a freezer this weekend and start getting my meat from local sources (I do live in TX after all so that shouldn't be too hard). Good idea on organ meats. Is there any particular way you have to prepare them? Any recipes?

Btw, on milk: what's everyone's opinion on non-organic milk? Drink it or stay the hell away from it? A gallon of milk (a day) is cheap if you drink the regular kind but not so much if you buy organic.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:

When I was on SS (a week ago haha) I drank organic milk. It was about $1 more a gallon over regular milk here. My main reason for this was because regular whole milk made me break out like no other. Also, I didn't like the idea of a lot of added estrogen going into my body.