CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:
Question This is BS

I started SS two weeks ago and have been doing a 25 block meal for about a month. I'm trying to be 180 with about 10% of it being BF by next year. Right now I"m 160 and have been for the last month! I don't understand I was due for a 17 block program and enthusiastically jumped all the way to the 25 'athlete block' and still do not see even a lb gained. I'm going to slowly go down to a 20 block meal (4-4-4-4-4) by friday because all this cycle is doing is eating up my money. Maybe thinking about gaining weight is keeping me from gaining weight since my mind has to think about its opposite, being skinny (law of attraction idk lol)?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Charlie A Nilsson

Profile:
Re: This is BS

Drinking the Gallon of milk?? Doing anything else thatnSS??

stick with your prescribed blocks for youre size.. 16-17blocks and add a gallon of milk... do the SS program and NO metcon..

a gallon of milk is about 2400calories of nice protein and carb blocks, with some fat aswell.

You need the calories, and going strictly on 25blocks doesn't give you that much excess calories to gain alot of weight.
28/5.6/~150# DL: 419# BS: 330# Press: 155# "Mary" 16+2 "Angie" 15:29 "Murph" 34:15 "Fran" 3:42

Last edited by Charlie A Nilsson; 06-03-2008 at 02:43 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Sleep

Enjoyment of life

Management of Stress

Training regimen

Nutrition

By the way I simply don't believe you.

You are either:

Not eating as you are saying
Not lifting heavy enough
Not following or covering the previous points in my post

Let us know.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Don't Zone while on SS. Just eat... a lot. If you must Zone, then don't count your gallon of milk.

If you are doing any Metcon, don't. If you are sleeping 8 hours/night... sleep 9. If you are stressed, start meditating or doing yoga to reduce cortisol levels.

And take your fish oil... lots of it.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Rajib, depending on your age, 25 blocks may not be near enough for what you need on SS. Skinny teens should be up over 3K calories to gain on SS. Drink a gallon per day as others have said (even try cholocate milk post workout) and eat as cleanly as possible given your goals.

Above all, don't doubt the program. Remember that Rip has seen a few thousand beginners squat, deadlift, and press in his life and that this program works without a doubt if you do it right. What are your numbers now compared to when you started?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:

All I have to say is that I'm on SS now, and my legs are always sore! I started a week ago and have put on a few lbs. and I'm just drinking a half-gallon a day. Eat a lot and lift heavy, sleep and be lazy for the most part.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

You made no mention of your weight progression. You are adding 10 - 15 lbs. to your squat every session? Similarly, you are adding weight to every lift every session? The linear progression is very important.

Are you doing the cleans? You have to do the cleans or the whole program won't work!! I'm kidding lot's of people don't do the cleans, and if you don't, then you don't get to complain about lack of progress.

I can imagine if you started well below your actual 5RM, you might not be getting much growth in the first two weeks. Keep at it, and do the cleans!!!

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Start sweating, as your not even close yet. 2 weeks, and you expect to be packing on weight? your going to shed for a bit then you strength comes....strength is no bulging muscles.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

I seen some good points. Well first off I think the gallon of milk idea works but I just am no where near that desperate to gain weight, I'll be blowing *** all day and probably get kicked out the house for it lol. I'm 6'1 160. My Back Squat is around 180 (5 sets of 5) my deadlift is 210, bench press 165, shoulder press 115( i use to do 135 on crossfit heavy days but as you know how much weight starts coming off when you do right form) and I missed my first power clean workout on monday because I was scratching up my shins much more than deadlifts, i could of prevented it by moving the bar farther away but thats not correct ,and just couldnt get the transition, more practice is needed. I've got about a month of kungfu membership left and they jacked the price so my metcon, flexibility, strength and endurance will come from the one and only crossfit after my SS is done. Maybe the kungfu is getting in the way? I do about 1 1/2 about 3 days a week and on saturday stayed for 2 classes which was 3 hrs.I'm increasing the weights on SS about 5 lbs for the squats, 10 for deads, and about 2 1/2 for shoulder presses and bench and I would raise it less if i knew where to buy smaller weights. since SS is 3 days a week and then the following week 3 days but of the other workouts I added weighted dips and weighted pullups on those restdays.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #10
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

You have provided your own answers. Your not quite doing the whole program, and you are doing more metcon style work outside the program.

Rest is essential to gaining mass and it doesn't sound like you are getting any down time. Try SS for a month doing the program, the whole program and nothing but the program. After a month add extra work outside of SS if you are recovering well enough to keep up the linear progression.