CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Timothy Spradling

Profile:
Starting the zone

about a month ago i decided that i wanted to do the zone. unfortunately, i have discovered i'm not quite sure how. I've read these boards, i've read the zone book, and i don't know. i can't seem to make up any meals, i simply dont know how to start. any advice?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Sharon Miller

Profile:
Re: Starting the zone

I just began strict zone last week—I have been dabbling for a while. My advice for the first week…plan ahead. Crossfit Journal #21 has some great menus and recipes.

Sit down and plan all of your meals and snacks for the first week. Keep it simple. Pick a couple of meals and snacks that sound appealing and easy and alternate them everday. From that make a shopping list get everything you need. Prepare as much food in advance as you can. The fewer excuses you have to stray the better you will do.

Most importantly measure everything! Good Luck!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Maria Yegorova

Profile:

what is the easiest way to measure food, what kinda of tools to you all use to measure protein, carbs, and fat??
Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
John S Park

Profile:

food scale

measuring cups (big ones help for large amounts of veggies)

tablespoons, teaspoon measures

then download crossfit journal #21.. it has all of the measurements per block on there. there is also a chart for determining your zone block requirements
Old 05-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Spradling View Post
about a month ago i decided that i wanted to do the zone. unfortunately, i have discovered i'm not quite sure how. I've read these boards, i've read the zone book, and i don't know. i can't seem to make up any meals, i simply dont know how to start. any advice?
I was just like you. Read for over a month everything I could about the zone. I just could not make sense of it. So 11 days ago I went to the store bought fruit (apples oranges pineapple and grapes), Frozen Fruit, Frozen Veggies ( broc, green beans, and some kinda mix), Fresh Veggies ( mushrooms, celery, onion, tomato) Some nuts mostly just cashews, A bunch of canned tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey. Olive Oil!!! Some low fat cottage cheese. Frozen Chicken breasts, and some light mayo. Whey Protien Powder. Oh and Oat meal!

After that the last 11 days I have just been trying things and see what I like and what makes me feel and look better. I have a lot more energy and my WODs go really well.

I'm a m/25/260lbs and I have not seen a weight loss in the last 11 days but I have felt my gut going down and more energy. Its hard to eat all the veggies and most days I probably have too much fruit.

Sorry for the long post but my advice to you is to just jump in and keep trying things. For me I plan my meals every morning - Timing is key! Oh and don't miss that last snack! When it comes to the Zone and Crossfit you have to see what works for you. Black Box the Zone and see what the results are after 2 weeks. Then Change it to make it work for you!

Good Luck - Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i printed out the blocks for everything and put them on my fridge. and i keep it simple. 4 whole eggs is four blocks add three teaspoons of light mayo and a tablespoon of avacodo for fat blocks and i have some bomb.com egg salad. put in a tortilla and have an apple and its a four block lunch. 4 ounces of chicken and a ****load of broccoli and its dinner. the more i get used to it the more i add stuff and change it up.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Timothy Spradling

Profile:

thanks all - i'll give crossfit 21 a go...
Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
Caleb Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Spradling View Post
thanks all - i'll give crossfit 21 a go...
Yeah, #21 helped me so much. I was pretty confused before reading it.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
Rich Knipping

Profile:

first thing is figure out how many blocks you have to eat a day. i'm an 18 block a day. i break that up into 5 meals. a 5 block breakfast, a 5 block lunch, a 2 block snack before my WOD, a 5 block dinner and a 1 block snack before bed.

use the lists of foods in the back of the zone book, mine is always open on the counter. i have a cheap food scale and some measuring cups.

example:
weigh out 5 oz. of chicken, there's my 5 protein blocks.
measure 1/2 cup of chick peas, 1 whole tomato, 1/2 cup pineapple and 1 cup of strawberries for "dessert". there's my 5 carb blocks
count 5 macadamia nuts and there's my 5 fat blocks.

that makes up a "5 block" dinner. count your protein blocks only as your required blocks for the day and balance them with carbs and fats.

it's confusing at first, i'm starting my second month and it make a lot more sense and is a lot easier.

good luck, it's worth it!!!

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ue21_May04.pdf
Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:

I have a quick question about the Zone and didn't want to create another thread. In CFJ #21 a lot of the prescribed meals include a tortilla, or slice of bread, etc. I thought a lot of people on the boards consumed hardly any bread products?

This is fine by me though because a slice of bread here and there wouldn't make me upset .