CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:
strength question

I'm 6'0" and weigh 165 lbs. I'm what you would call lanky, but with a little definition. I could use some help in my shoulders/chest area. Should I begin SS or just do CF workouts with heavy weights(not as much running and etc.) I also have a question if I did SS. Are carbs such as potatoes looked down upon, or does that not really matter? I'm going to buy the book this week for further details.

Also, coming off of SS and into CF I would change my diet of course to shed off any extra weight, but would this compromise the muscle or mass that is built during SS?

I bring up this question because I know Mark Twight(specifically in the training for 300) used calorie restriction with metcon type workouts, and the actors dropped BF% and got a lot stronger in the time period. Would it be better for me to stick to these type of workouts and each a lot of meats/veggies etc., or to begin SS first? I want to have more muscle definition while staying lean and trim.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Travis Hall

Profile:

Re: strength question

For what it's worth the 'Captain' (The guy who loses his son- actor's actual name escapes me) in the movie 300 was on a 2000cal diet. It is noted somewhere on Twight's personal site or the actual Gym Jones site. Forget which- maybe it was listed in the video of him training in the vid section of Twight's site...

Anyway. On that note, if I remember correctly a lot of the actors ended up burning out pretty bad after the movie- whether from pushing to hard or the cal restriction or both... a lot also ended up with injuries... Just something to be aware of. Remember you are not a highly paid actor pursuing a role, so don't treat your health/fitness a such.

So....
If you simply want to build muscle while remaining lean stick to pure CF (including the recommended diet of meats, fruit, vegatables, nuts and seeds). Otherwise give SS a try. If you do SS correctly though, you will add fat with the muscle.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:

He was on a 1700 calorie diet, but that's because he needed to lose weight. I guess I'll just do CF doing movements mainly with weights (oly lifts, ball slams, kb swings, etc..) and eat a good amount of meat/veggies. I'm just thinking about it, and the Greeks and such were in great shape, and they didn't down a gallon a milk. They ate meats and veggies correct?

I guess this is the type of situation I can just black box everything.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:

I don't wish to look like anyone, but if I could give you a picture of what my ideal body image would be, it is around this:

http://www.gymjones.com/images/knowledge/know_35_7.jpg

I know that your body is a result of training, and that I am not training for the purpose to look good. I expect functional fitness first and foremost.

I point this out because everytime I think of SS, I think of me getting bulky, and that's not what I'm going for. I want functional, lean but defined, muscle.

With that said, and knowing my stats, would anyone recommend me staying on the CF path with good eating or the SS path first?

Last edited by Jonathan Edwards; 05-21-2008 at 05:23 PM..
Old 05-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Strict zone + metcon/hiit/tabata/etc. will do it for you after an SS cycle or two.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:40 AM   #6
Matthew Green

Profile:

That photo is of stephane of the fast-motion stunt crew, they trained with the '300' crew, they were amazingly fit BEFORE they started at Gym Jones, real fitness takes time and dedication.

http://www.fast-motion.tv/ W/F/S

check out the video of them larking around, it's ace!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:45 AM   #7
Matthew Green

Profile:

Just realised that was a bit of a crap reply...... apologies.

On a more constructive not, I personally dont give a crap what I look like, as with you i'm tall and quite 'lanky', but as long as it functions and I continue to make improvements everything else falls into place.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:

Ya the videos on that site are great. Thanks for the help guys I guess I'll start out with a cycle of SS and go from there. I went into Barnes and Noble today and they said SS isn't in print. I guess I'll get it from Amazon then.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Edwards View Post
Ya the videos on that site are great. Thanks for the help guys I guess I'll start out with a cycle of SS and go from there. I went into Barnes and Noble today and they said SS isn't in print. I guess I'll get it from Amazon then.
Why not buy it from Mark's company??

http://www.****************.com/

w/f/s
Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 AM   #10
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Green View Post
That photo is of stephane of the fast-motion stunt crew, they trained with the '300' crew, they were amazingly fit BEFORE they started at Gym Jones, real fitness takes time and dedication.

http://www.fast-motion.tv/ W/F/S

check out the video of them larking around, it's ace!
Very cool. Gonna look out for the DVD when it comes.

My opinion on your strength question Jonathan for what it's worth is get yourself a good coach to teach you proper lifting technique. Couple this with buying the SS book. Do the SS prog for a while until you plateau strength wise and then start into the WODs with maybe a bit of extra heavy lifting and get your zone dialed in. The milk is great for the extra cals needed for putting on some mass and I am doing it at the moment with success but I wouldn't do it long term. Eat clean asides from that and get plenty of rest.