CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-29-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
Alex Kus

Profile:
Here are links to who ESPN thinks are the best all-time athletes and what are the hardest sports. It's interesting food for thought.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...aroundathletes

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

ALeX
Old 04-29-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Alex,

Some interesting stuff there. Thanks for the link. The fact that the 'experts' scored 4s and under (on a scale of 10) in speed, agility, flexiblity and nerve for weightlifting makes me wonder just how much exposure they've had to the sport. Perhaps they thought weightlifting = powerlifting. They ranked weightlifting 44th overall, with baseball taking 9th place. According to those results our next WOD should look like this:

3 rounds of:

10 minutes batting practice
10 minutes fielding/throwing
5 minutes sitting on bench chewing tobacco

Post number of hits, error percentage, amount of tobacco chewed and spitting distance to comments.:happy:

Just my two cents,

Ryan
Old 04-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
On a more positive note, at least they had gymnastics in the top 10.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I think that gymnastics should have been number one, followed closely by olympic lifting and sprinting.

...Of course, I could be a little biased.

... naaah.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I think that boxing is a great choice for hardest sports. I think that wrestling is a close second. There is something quite challenging about a sport in which your mistakes result in getting pounded in the face.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:38 PM   #6
Roy

Profile:

I've played a lot of sports: baseball, soccer, sprinting, wrestling, some boxing, a little kickboxing, trampoline gymnastics(tumbling). Jiu-jitsu, skateboarding, snowboarding, skiiing, etc....even mountainboarding:

Not a one of these even compares to the difficulty, physical agility and taxations, and especially mental game to that of Olympic TaeKwonDo sparring. This sport is gradually becoming more and more recognized. Watch for it this summer during the olympics. Those who get into it will be absolutely humbled.
Cheers

Roy
Old 04-29-2004, 10:03 PM   #7
Paul M

Profile:

At the very least, these lists are at least an improvement over the typical endurance sports bias, which often crown Ironman athletes as the world's best, without regard to the other aspects of fitness than aerobic endurance.

These lists are almost always flawed and everyone has a different opinion. There are numerous inconsistencies that could be pointed out, as well as problems with their definitions. Also, they left sports out: while track and field events show up, there's no "decathlete" category. They also left out other measures. Gymnastics, for example, might not score as high on hand-eye coordination, but requires a full-body coordination and body control (not ranked) that many sports do not.

But, at least they're trying, I guess.

-Paul

PS Personally, I think Jim Thorpe should've beat out Jim Brown. Read their descriptions and tell me that winning Olympic Gold in the decathlon and pentathlon, being the greatest football player of your day (his statue greets you at the NFL Hall of Fame as you walk in the door) and a major league baseball player isn't better than being one of the greatest football players of your day, doing well in a _national_ decathlon, and excelling at high school sports.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:47 AM   #8
Graham Hayes

Profile:
It's official, if you are flexible enough to play golf, agile enough to row a boat, fast enough to dive into water and have the sheer brass balls to play water polo. Then you're in good stead to be a champion weightlifter!:biggrin:
Old 04-30-2004, 09:40 AM   #9
Larry Cook

Profile:
I love golf ... I try and rationalize playing it as some sort of "active recovery" ... 50th on the list seems about right, but right above it is horse racing ... I've never done that but it would seem much more difficult overall than golf (just that whole possibility of getting thrown/trampled).

These list things are always fun ... right up there with reality shows.

My 2 cents ... lacrosse is one tough all-around sport. Check out the galleries at major league lacrosse.

http://majorleaguelacrosse.com/0,5911,1_454_0_11004,00.html
Old 04-30-2004, 12:46 PM   #10
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I think it's important to distinguish between the abilities that a sport requires, and the abilities that a sport enhances. This list looks at the skills necessary to excel at a sport. Power will help an athlete excel in baseball, but playing baseball will not do much to increase an athlete's power.

Aside: How in the hell did billiards only get a 5.25 in hand / eye coordination?