CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
Matthew Potak

Profile:
2014 Games Season Thoughts?

Any thoughts on next years games season? Will the open stay? Will we go back to sectionals? Weight Classes? More endurance events at Regionals?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: 2014 Games Season Thoughts?

The Open i$n't going anywhere.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
The Open i$n't going anywhere.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

And I'm almost certain there will not be weight classes. The concept of "fitness" is irrespective of one's size.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Matthew Potak

Profile:

I wonder if the Open will have a similar format or if they change it up. Maybe they add a few new movements.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Michael Cook

Profile:

I would like to see Wildcard entries to the Games so that the top finishers from Regionals who were not in the top 3 could get invited to the games.

I would also like to see Regionals for Masters. Maybe not all the age groups, but at least the 40-44 and 45-59 age groups. Maybe not a full, 5-wod program for Masters Regionals, but maybe something like a short and long wod one day, and a medium one the next day. Let the top 20 masters in each region go to regionals so you could have 2 heats of 10 athletes.

If they are going to do legless rope climbs, I think they need to make it a little safer for athletes. Allow them to use legs on the way down, and put a crash pad underneath the rope. I did not like seeing athletes slide down the rope holding on with their hands or falling from the top of the rope onto a hard surface.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

My one wish, is that after the Open people have a week (or some time frame) to declare individual or team. And if they go individual, their scores are removed from the teams and they reseed based on those new scores. I went to regionals and the bottom teams weren't competitive. My gym finished 37th and our top 6 would've done significantly better than those bottom teams there, it was frustrating to watch.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Dan Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
My one wish, is that after the Open people have a week (or some time frame) to declare individual or team. And if they go individual, their scores are removed from the teams and they reseed based on those new scores. I went to regionals and the bottom teams weren't competitive. My gym finished 37th and our top 6 would've done significantly better than those bottom teams there, it was frustrating to watch.
Great idea
Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Eric Konieczny

Profile:

I enjoyed the Games WOD's, a nice variation that encompassed many skills, movements, endurance, and strength.

Now, HQ needs to find a way to represent that in the Open and Regionals.

as with 2013 Open and Regionals, you could be really strong in the lifting and gymnastics, and place really well, and then falter in the Games, like many did.

I think it was a wake up call for some of the elites to become more well rounded.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Charles Golden

Profile:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Masters group get an overhaul, maybe something like only three divisions (40-49, 50-59, and 60+) but them also going to Regionals.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Konieczny View Post
I enjoyed the Games WOD's, a nice variation that encompassed many skills, movements, endurance, and strength.

Now, HQ needs to find a way to represent that in the Open and Regionals.

as with 2013 Open and Regionals, you could be really strong in the lifting and gymnastics, and place really well, and then falter in the Games, like many did.

I think it was a wake up call for some of the elites to become more well rounded.
I don't think it really changes anything if they did find a way to do what you're talking about. There may be a hand full of guys that would have fared better at the games but I think that has way more to do with the way the regional competition is setup. As long as they are taking the top 3 from all regions you will always have guys at the games that probably shouldn't be there. Nick Fory would have won almost ever region in the world but because he was in the Central East he got to watch the games from home.