CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Miles Roberts

Profile:
Suggestion for beginner footwear.

Get some nanos. Or something similar. I've been going almost 3 months now. I've been wearing my Nike Free 5.0s. I felt they were fine, and didn't have much reason to shop for anything else. I've always been a believer that the best gear doesn't make for the best athletes, and that a lot of it is hype. I've found the exception here. I noticed the tips of the toes of my running shoes were starting to wear. Probably from burpees and pushups. I finally talked myself into getting some nano 3.0s. I've only done a few workouts with them, but there is a night and day difference for me.

I was worried about the lack of cushioning compared to running shoes. They're fine. I've done box jumps, jump rope, lateral over-the-bar jumps, jumping jacks, burpees - all movements where some cushioning is nice, and they were fine. The huge advantage is during heavy stuff. I feel 100% more planted and balanced than I did in my running shoes. Yesterday's WOD had a ton of cleans. They, and I'm not joking, felt incredibly easy compared to even a week ago.

Your mileage may vary, but I was so impressed, I had to share.

And maybe this should have gone in the 'equipment' forum, but I wanted beginners to see this.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Mark Fowler

Profile:
Re: Suggestion for beginner footwear.

Totally agree on this. While competing in Strongman I was constantly being told to get some better shoes - I competed in skate shoes, and being tight when it comes to spending money on footwear I decided mine were more than suitable.
When I transferred to Crossfit, it just happened to coincide with some extra funds being available. So I treated myself to Nano 3.0s and some oly shoes. I now realise people telling me to change my shoes were actually trying to help and not just mocking my ropey old skate shoes!!
The stability improvement aspect is noticable straight away. You are right about feeling planted when pressing etc.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Reuben Bakker

Profile:

Thanks for posting, I think this has pushed me over the edge. $ has been a factor for me too - I have some Saucony Prestige running shoes that I've been using, but they have a ton of cushioning that really doesn't help with any kind of weight lifting. A while back I found some Fila Skele-Toes, which are sort of a knock off of the Vibram 5 fingers. I snagged them for just $20 at a discount store, so I've been using them quite a bit at crossfit as well. The minimalist soles feel a bit better for most movements, but they definitely aren't a stable platform either.

I've been eyeballing the Nanos, I think I'll take the plunge.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben Bakker View Post
Thanks for posting, I think this has pushed me over the edge. $ has been a factor for me too - I have some Saucony Prestige running shoes that I've been using, but they have a ton of cushioning that really doesn't help with any kind of weight lifting. A while back I found some Fila Skele-Toes, which are sort of a knock off of the Vibram 5 fingers. I snagged them for just $20 at a discount store, so I've been using them quite a bit at crossfit as well. The minimalist soles feel a bit better for most movements, but they definitely aren't a stable platform either.

I've been eyeballing the Nanos, I think I'll take the plunge.
Reuben I urge you to do it the difference is amazing!! If you can find a few extra $$ weighlifting shoes are some next level **** too haha
Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

I have purchased some Nano 2s, but they were a tad small so I gave them to my son and ended up with a pair of Nano 3s and as stated, they are the bomb. If you do a search on the forum for shoes, there are endless comments...
Old 01-18-2014, 01:08 AM   #6
Koa Meador-Levy

Profile:

Inov8s, I won't support reebok with there sub par clothing. Inov8 has been here for CrossFit long before reebok hopped on the bandwagon. Now I see reebok wants to make a "power lifting shoe" lol what a way to scam idiots out of $$$
Old 01-18-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Of all the things to complain about, you choose the powerlifting shoes that were actually developed by a noted powerlifter?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa Meador-Levy View Post
Inov8s, I won't support reebok with there sub par clothing. Inov8 has been here for CrossFit long before reebok hopped on the bandwagon. Now I see reebok wants to make a "power lifting shoe" lol what a way to scam idiots out of $$$
Seems like a mutually beneficial relationship if you ask me. CF needed a big time national sponsor and Reebok stepped up. I'm sure Reebok has made some money in the process, that's what every company is trying to do, but I don't think The Games are where they are right now if it was the Inov8 Crossfit Games.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
Koa Meador-Levy

Profile:

Writing "CrossFit" on a shoe "developed" by a powerlifter is comical. They made a leather chuck and call it "developed"

Sorry I am just not one to support companies that who're themselves out to CrossFit people, progenex reebok and the like overcharge because CrossFit people are used to wasting huge cash every month on classes so what's 80.00 for 30 servings of protein whey and 90.00 for some leather converse that labeled as "powerlifting shoes"

But speaking on Nano's I just prefer inov8 because they are actually more comfortable to deadlift, front squat, and do box jumps because they have less materials and give a better feel with the ground.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Never mind. Not worth arguing about.

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 01-18-2014 at 01:22 PM.