CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Shawn Hiller

Profile:
Business telephone question!

So as I'm preparing to open an affiliate, and trying to cover all the bases, I awoke at 3am thinking about the telephone. My situation is I live in Texas, and I'm a California transplant. In the day of the cellphone, I found that it was unnecessary for me to change my Cali phone number when I moved. It just works. Fast forward 7 years (I know, I know) and now that I'm going to own a business, I'm afraid that it'll confuse folks having a California phone number on a Texas Affiliate website. I'd like to assume that people would figure this out, but, I have had instances where people ignored my call(s) or didn't call because they thought it was SPAM or someone trying to swindle them (ie: Cragislist responses).

So, how have you all worked out the phone situation? I REALLY don't want to have two cellphones. How much telephone traffic do you guys actually get?

I will still have a regular 9-5 job, so Where I have access to the computer pretty much all day, and can respond to emails, answering the phone all day isn't going to work out too well. I'm curious as to the call volume as well as different options you folks utilize to make this work for you. I DO know that Samsung offers a dual SIM card phone, but I'm a pretty big Apple user, and don't want to switch phones.

Appreciate any help!

Shawn...
Old 12-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
David Patton

Profile:
Re: Business telephone question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Hiller View Post
So as I'm preparing to open an affiliate, and trying to cover all the bases, I awoke at 3am thinking about the telephone. My situation is I live in Texas, and I'm a California transplant. In the day of the cellphone, I found that it was unnecessary for me to change my Cali phone number when I moved. It just works. Fast forward 7 years (I know, I know) and now that I'm going to own a business, I'm afraid that it'll confuse folks having a California phone number on a Texas Affiliate website. I'd like to assume that people would figure this out, but, I have had instances where people ignored my call(s) or didn't call because they thought it was SPAM or someone trying to swindle them (ie: Cragislist responses).

So, how have you all worked out the phone situation? I REALLY don't want to have two cellphones. How much telephone traffic do you guys actually get?

I will still have a regular 9-5 job, so Where I have access to the computer pretty much all day, and can respond to emails, answering the phone all day isn't going to work out too well. I'm curious as to the call volume as well as different options you folks utilize to make this work for you. I DO know that Samsung offers a dual SIM card phone, but I'm a pretty big Apple user, and don't want to switch phones.

Appreciate any help!

Shawn...
Get a Google Voice number, you get to chose the area code and town. I have multiple google voice numbers, and they ring directly to my IPhone . Best part is google voice is free...
Old 12-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Patton View Post
Get a Google Voice number, you get to chose the area code and town. I have multiple google voice numbers, and they ring directly to my IPhone . Best part is google voice is free...
Great idea. Do you know that the call is coming the google voice. I'll probably so this a well.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Shawn Hiller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Great idea. Do you know that the call is coming the google voice. I'll probably so this a well.
X2. I'd like to know if they differ...
Old 12-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Shawn Hiller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Patton View Post

Just set it up! Works great, and it's my favorite flavor....FREE! Thanks a ton!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

I have no idea how that technology works. We have an actual dedicated phone line, with rollover, and voicemail.

If this is a hobby that you don't really care about the perception of the public, and possibly some members; stick with your cell phone and change nothing.
^Not recommended.

You can get a phone line with vm for pretty cheap. $40/mon maybe? People are paying you a premium for a service, you want to play the part. If someone is asking me for 5-10x the price of the average gym in your area; I'd hope they can spend a few bucks for a phone line.

If the options mentioned go through your cell phone, my only question would be is how do you know when an incoming call is for your CrossFit, or for you; personally. You should be answering when people call you for CrossFit with a different response than when someone is calling you personally.

Also, if you do use the cell phone; do NOT answer it when your blasting music in your car, or out with your family, etc. That's what voicemail is for! It's one thing to call them back from your cell phone; I do that so I can talk to people when I'm in the car, or not in the office; but only when I know it's going to be quiet; and I have paper and a pen handy.

Again, IMO; if you're running a business, look like it.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Shawn Hiller

Profile:

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
I have no idea how that technology works. We have an actual dedicated phone line, with rollover, and voicemail.

If this is a hobby that you don't really care about the perception of the public, and possibly some members; stick with your cell phone and change nothing.
^Not recommended.
Not the case, and thusly, why I posed the question.

Quote:
You can get a phone line with vm for pretty cheap. $40/mon maybe? People are paying you a premium for a service, you want to play the part. If someone is asking me for 5-10x the price of the average gym in your area; I'd hope they can spend a few bucks for a phone line.
Agreed, money isn't the main issue, it's my availability to the members. A dedicated line in the age of cell phones is unnecessary (with the exception of emergencies when there's no service). As well, the area I live in is "small town" and the majority of major providers aren't available to us unfortunately. In fact, to obtain internet for the business, it is lookin like I have to go with a satellite company (whole different can of worms) to have some sort of service.

Quote:
If the options mentioned go through your cell phone, my only question would be is how do you know when an incoming call is for your CrossFit, or for you; personally. You should be answering when people call you for CrossFit with a different response than when someone is calling you personally.
That is what I spent the last 2 hours figuring out (thanks to David's response), and I'm pleased with the results. I found that I can elect to have the calls that are coming in from that number say "CrossFit," thus, I'm able to differentiate between personal and business calls. As well, that number has an entirely different voicemail as well!

Quote:
Also, if you do use the cell phone; do NOT answer it when your blasting music in your car, or out with your family, etc. That's what voicemail is for! It's one thing to call them back from your cell phone; I do that so I can talk to people when I'm in the car, or not in the office; but only when I know it's going to be quiet; and I have paper and a pen handy.
Yep, I've got that figured out already.... My 10 years in Law Enforcement has equipped me with some pretty serious note taking / people skills....

Quote:
Again, IMO; if you're running a business, look like it.
^^ Of course... Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Shawn Hiller : 12-08-2013 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Figuring out this quote thing...
Old 12-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

Agreed, money isn't the main issue, it's my availability to the members. A dedicated line in the age of cell phones is unnecessary (with the exception of emergencies when there's no service). As well, the area I live in is "small town" and the majority of major providers aren't available to us unfortunately. In fact, to obtain internet for the business, it is lookin like I have to go with a satellite company (whole different can of worms) to have some sort of service.

That is what I spent the last 2 hours figuring out (thanks to David's response), and I'm pleased with the results. I found that I can elect to have the calls that are coming in from that number say "CrossFit," thus, I'm able to differentiate between personal and business calls. As well, that number has an entirely different voicemail as well!

Yep, I've got that figured out already.... My 10 years in Law Enforcement has equipped me with some pretty serious note taking / people skills....

^^ Of course... Thanks for the reply.[/quote]

If that's the case, then I don't see a reason why you shouldn't use your cell phone!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Mike Doehla

Profile:

^^ Of course... Thanks for the reply.[/quote]

So we can use a google voice number and make it say it's a CrossFit call?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Shawn Hiller

Profile:

[/quote]So we can use a google voice number and make it say it's a CrossFit call?[/quote]

Yep. Just register for a google voice number in your area, then go into the settings menu (online) to make all the necessary adjustments. I saved the new number in my phone as my business name, and when I experimented, and when called by an outside line, it identified correctly. When I ignored the call, it went straight to my google voice voicemail like a normal call. I then received an email and text message with the number that called, a written transcript of what the voice message said, and the option to hear the actual message! Worked like a charm. At this point in time, I see no reason why this wouldn't work.