CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-10-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:
Muscle-ups

Hey guys, I've read so many of the posts on how to do muscle ups and everything but I really haven't been able to get a single one. It's so frustrating, can anyone advise me on progressions, technique and strength to get a muscle up. If anyone's got a routine or something I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:
Re: Muscle-ups

By the way I've already looked at the definitive muscle up guide
Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Boris Wartenberg

Profile:

Hi Matthew,

for me Youtube works very well....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6YPB5e6Ws8 (wfs)

There are so many tutorial videos, the one above is one of the best I found.

All the best
Boris
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Something that I saw that I don't hear too many people refer to, is just doing assisted muscle ups, by placing your feet on something (the video I saw, guy used a stepladder). I was actually thinking of a modification, though, from what I saw. What if you sat on the ground, with the rings at full arm's length above you, but with a med ball under, say, your calves. From there, basically do a muscle-up, using your legs to assist, and the ball will roll accordingly, unlike a fixed object.

Another comment I have, based on two people at my box currently trying to learn, is that I think there's a tendency to get your palms facing away too early, and too high: both of these people get stuck at the "window sill hang," I call it. I think a critical step is to think of it first as a very strong chin-up, palms facing in/toward you, and pull as low as possible. Imagine the point under your shoulders at which you are too deep to be able to ring dip. You have to get your hands below that point in the chin-up phase. Then, with your hands essentially staying at a fixed point in space, you're doing a very hard sit-up, flipping your hands out, then ring-dipping it up.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
John Holcombe

Profile:

While we are on the subject.. anybody here have ring muscle ups down but can't get a bar muscle up? It's not that big of a deal to me and I admit I don't practice either too much but I have done a set of 5 ring muscle ups before and I have never been even remotely close to doing 1 bar muscle up. Chest to bar pullups are no problem and I can do a set of 25 (kipping) or 10+ strict pullups
Old 11-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:

I managed to do my first one today, on a bar (I can't do rings) but I had to use a resistance band. What are your opinions on using resistance bands as progressions? I'll start using thinner bands eventually, is this a good progression or not really?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:

Thanks for the tips and that YouTube link guys, I found them quite helpful, still can't do one though, only with a band
Old 11-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
Something that I saw that I don't hear too many people refer to, is just doing assisted muscle ups, by placing your feet on something (the video I saw, guy used a stepladder). I was actually thinking of a modification, though, from what I saw. What if you sat on the ground, with the rings at full arm's length above you, but with a med ball under, say, your calves. From there, basically do a muscle-up, using your legs to assist, and the ball will roll accordingly, unlike a fixed object.

Another comment I have, based on two people at my box currently trying to learn, is that I think there's a tendency to get your palms facing away too early, and too high: both of these people get stuck at the "window sill hang," I call it. I think a critical step is to think of it first as a very strong chin-up, palms facing in/toward you, and pull as low as possible. Imagine the point under your shoulders at which you are too deep to be able to ring dip. You have to get your hands below that point in the chin-up phase. Then, with your hands essentially staying at a fixed point in space, you're doing a very hard sit-up, flipping your hands out, then ring-dipping it up.
Very useful, thanks
Old 11-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
Michael Cook

Profile:

I am decent at muscle ups. I've never tested how many I can do in a row, but I know I can do at least 9 because I did the Amanda workout and did all the MU unbroken.

Here is how I do muscle ups:

Swing with tight body.

From the bottom, pull down on the rings with straight arms, and simultaneously kick into a hollow position, and maintain a hollow position until you can see your toes.

When you can see your toes, violently thrust your hips upwards towards your hands, while continually pulling the rings down towards your hips and keeping your arms as straight as possible.

When your hips are at or near ring height, bring your chest and shoulders forward, and bend at the waist and knees, while keeping as much pressure on the rings as possible. There should be very little or no slack in the straps.

Catch yourself in support with no more than 90 degree arm bend. Ideally, you will be able to straighten your arms while your momentum is still doing up.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
I am decent at muscle ups. I've never tested how many I can do in a row, but I know I can do at least 9 because I did the Amanda workout and did all the MU unbroken.

Here is how I do muscle ups:

Swing with tight body.

From the bottom, pull down on the rings with straight arms, and simultaneously kick into a hollow position, and maintain a hollow position until you can see your toes.

When you can see your toes, violently thrust your hips upwards towards your hands, while continually pulling the rings down towards your hips and keeping your arms as straight as possible.

When your hips are at or near ring height, bring your chest and shoulders forward, and bend at the waist and knees, while keeping as much pressure on the rings as possible. There should be very little or no slack in the straps.

Catch yourself in support with no more than 90 degree arm bend. Ideally, you will be able to straighten your arms while your momentum is still doing up.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Thanks Michael! Will try this tomorrow