CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Michael Alan Jones

Profile:
1 piece of equipment you cannot live without?

We will be opening our doors in the next few months. We have put together a list of standard equipment for a start-up.

My question is, What piece of equipment can you not live without that you did not even imagine having before opening your affiliate?

I may have some room in the budget for something other than "needs" and I would love to hear what experienced owners have to say.

Many thanks,

Mike
Old 09-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:
Re: 1 piece of equipment you cannot live without?

NO bells & whistles Buddy, just basic gear!

It might get tricky if you teach your members, from the day one, to have access to all the gear in the world..

If you start to think about all the cool stuff that would be nice to have, it will easily blow your budget
Old 09-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Sean Smith

Profile:

There is no "extra" in your budget when you are opening an affiliate. You will need that money in a few months. Save it. Don't buy rowers, expensive plates, or heavy KB's. Stick to basics and save your "extra" in the budget.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I am not an affiliate owner, but I agree with the opinions already expressed.

However, if you are convinced that you really have extra cash, I think that one of the things that I would want as an extra would be a Rogue yoke.

I have a Rogue Y-2 yoke and love it for its versatility; yoke, squat rack, sled, fat bar pullups, ring hanger, stone loading bar, base for add-ons such as Rogue Matador, etc....

- Mark
Old 09-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Clint Harris

Profile:

I am not an affiliate owner either, just a customer of a few gyms.
I would suggest spending any extra money you have on a leaf blower and mop. So you can clean the floors. Then spend any extra on a proper cleaning service (that also wipes the rig) - cleaning trades never work and are more likely to be sub par if is the only source of cleaning. (Augment pro service, sure, but not a replacement).
Accessible cleaning supplies with plenty of towels for wiping **** down (a clean pile and dirty pile that magically turns into a clean pile).
A supply of spray bottles with different cleaners too. Spraying bleach on a wall ball to clean it is stupid, as-is trying to use window cleaner on blood. Train your members to use it.

If you have all that covered. Then a couple of sleds.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Victor Robles

Profile:

Just out of curiosity...what is your current list if equipment that you will be opening your affiliate with, and how big of a space is your box? How many members are you opening with or expect to open with? I'm not an affiliate but perhaps sometime down the road I may wish to affiliate.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #7
Boris Wartenberg

Profile:

I am a new affiliate, so heres my list:

- barbells
- some really longlasting bumper plates
- boxes for Boxjumps
- Squatstands with a bar on top for Pull ups
- a small Rigsystem
- med balls
- jumpropes
- Kettlebells (mainly 16 Kilo, 20 and 24)
- rubber floor (as I started in my garage)
- strengthbands for mobility and pull up support

There you go

I have now bought a used Concept II Rower ... a second will follow, perhaps up to 5 pieces....

Cheers
Boris
Old 09-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
Michael Alan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
I am not an affiliate owner either, just a customer of a few gyms.
I would suggest spending any extra money you have on a leaf blower and mop. So you can clean the floors. Then spend any extra on a proper cleaning service (that also wipes the rig) - cleaning trades never work and are more likely to be sub par if is the only source of cleaning. (Augment pro service, sure, but not a replacement).
Accessible cleaning supplies with plenty of towels for wiping **** down (a clean pile and dirty pile that magically turns into a clean pile).
A supply of spray bottles with different cleaners too. Spraying bleach on a wall ball to clean it is stupid, as-is trying to use window cleaner on blood. Train your members to use it.

If you have all that covered. Then a couple of sleds.
Clint, I have that covered my man. Clean digs is my #1 priority with respect to facilities. And yes, I need to add a sled to list....eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I am not an affiliate owner, but I agree with the opinions already expressed.

However, if you are convinced that you really have extra cash, I think that one of the things that I would want as an extra would be a Rogue yoke.

I have a Rogue Y-2 yoke and love it for its versatility; yoke, squat rack, sled, fat bar pullups, ring hanger, stone loading bar, base for add-ons such as Rogue Matador, etc....

- Mark
Mark, Great suggestion. They will be in my second wave of equipment because I will need the extra squat racks along with the competition training options that a yoke can offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Smith View Post
There is no "extra" in your budget when you are opening an affiliate. You will need that money in a few months. Save it. Don't buy rowers, expensive plates, or heavy KB's. Stick to basics and save your "extra" in the budget.
I agree that there is never actually a surplus in the budget when opening but I did want to see what the creative minds that run CrossFit affiliates came up with. I should have been prepared for meat and potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Robles View Post
Just out of curiosity...what is your current list if equipment that you will be opening your affiliate with, and how big of a space is your box? How many members are you opening with or expect to open with? I'm not an affiliate but perhaps sometime down the road I may wish to affiliate.
Victor,

We haven't made the push for initial members yet. We are covering all of the legal basis before hitting the marketing trail. We are going to aim for 30 to 50 but we are excited just to get 1 person in and start the growing process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Wartenberg View Post
I am a new affiliate, so heres my list:

- barbells
- some really longlasting bumper plates
- boxes for Boxjumps
- Squatstands with a bar on top for Pull ups
- a small Rigsystem
- med balls
- jumpropes
- Kettlebells (mainly 16 Kilo, 20 and 24)
- rubber floor (as I started in my garage)
- strengthbands for mobility and pull up support

There you go

I have now bought a used Concept II Rower ... a second will follow, perhaps up to 5 pieces....

Cheers
Boris
Boris, Solid list. Our lists are very similar. I have a few extra pieces of equipment for the competitive CrossFitter but nothing extravagant.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
Chris Jones

Profile:

as far as something you "cant live without" i would think a barbell, bumpers and rig would top my list. All the other things like rings, boxes and KBs are nice to have but starts ups are hard enough on the wallet and you can always add them later. That being said, just "fun" stuff to have would be the rowers and GHDs for me. They just add a couple interesting things you can now have in workouts.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

If I start or buy another gym I will follow a minimalist approach to equipment.

Barbells (quality, enough both 20kg, 15kg and a couple of 10kg & 5kg)
Bumper plates
Pullup structure (Wall mounted to preserve open floor space)
Squat stands (might be part of pull up structure)
Boxes
Kettlebells
Wall balls
Jump rope
Ab-mats
Rowers
GHD machines
Benches

Then focus on running great classes. Coaching is the key.

Big rigs look cool but the folks who bought my gym disassemble the big rig and converted it to wall mounted. It opened up a lot of floor space. It was an excellent move on their part. Wish I had thought of it 18 months earlier.