CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
David Osorio

Profile:
The Benefits of Open Gym Sessions at CrossFit Affiliates

Amigos,

I recently wrote an article about how we run our biweekly "Open Gym" classes at our affiliate. From our perspective it's solved a lot of issues regarding members wanting to do independent programming in an environment that doesn't disrupt your normal operations and still allows you to COACH these folks.

Please let me know what you think!

The Benefits of Open Gym Sessions at CrossFit Affiliates (WFS)
Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Re: The Benefits of Open Gym Sessions at CrossFit Affiliates

You've written an article on your personal definition of an open gym. I've learned during the past 8 1/2 years that there have evolved many definitions of open gym. Ours was the first gym to create the business model that others began calling open gym back in 2005. Our business model does not allow members to come in and follow their own programming, nor do they do "what they want to do".
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #3
Boris Wartenberg

Profile:

Well, I would appreciate an "Open Gym" where I can spend some time on skills I want to improve....
We do have kind of OG where you practice olympic lifting for example... But if I just want to improve my Toes to bar, kipping pull ups, double unders I do have to do them on my own.... OK, no problem with DUs, but TTB is difficult without a bar at home....

Open Gym with a coach showing up is great I think....
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Chase View Post
You've written an article on your personal definition of an open gym. I've learned during the past 8 1/2 years that there have evolved many definitions of open gym. Ours was the first gym to create the business model that others began calling open gym back in 2005. Our business model does not allow members to come in and follow their own programming, nor do they do "what they want to do".
So is your open gym "do what we program but if you come at 6pm or 6:37pm you'll be doing the same thing just a few minutes behind" ?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
David Osorio

Profile:

Skip,

I'm a little confused by your comment and unclear on the tone.

Yes, in the blog post I'm talking about a class type at our affiliate we call "Open Gym" and then describe how we run it and the benefits we've since experienced. I think the semantics issue is probably the least important component of the whole piece. If you do things differently and think it works just as well or better you should write about it for the benefit of anyone listening. The whole point of Inside the Affiliate is to open source the lesson's we've learned over the past 6 years. If people like what we do, (and we've gotten a lot of great feedback from affiliates so far) then great! It's free! Steal it and make it better for your situation. If you think it's bogus, let me know why.

There seems to be a pejorative tone when you say, your members don't do "what they want to do". Am I off on that? As described in the article, our open gym is staffed so that everyone gets some attention and we filter in people based on experience and the ability to train intelligently outside of a class setting. We've had plenty of members for 4+ years, I would hope they've been taught movement and training philosophy well enough by now to come in, warm-up, deadlift, do a short wod and then call it a day.

Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Eric Konieczny

Profile:

I think Open Gym is ideal and a must for any serious Box and athlete.

There are times and days I can't make the planned WOD. So I miss out on planned WOD of Thrusters and Double unders.

Having an Open gym time once during the week and once on the weekend gives members the freedom to make up missed WODs or work on weaknesses.

my Thruster is good, so I would work on Double Unders in open gym vs doing the WOD above.

Everyone has weaknesses, me personally...most things gymnastics. I spend twice the amount of time on HSPU and Muscle Ups vs rowing/ running. Everyone is different.

I am not likely going to get 5 Muscle Ups in a WOD with other things, if I can't do them alone.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Osorio View Post
Skip,

I'm a little confused by your comment and unclear on the tone.

Yes, in the blog post I'm talking about a class type at our affiliate we call "Open Gym" and then describe how we run it and the benefits we've since experienced. I think the semantics issue is probably the least important component of the whole piece. If you do things differently and think it works just as well or better you should write about it for the benefit of anyone listening. The whole point of Inside the Affiliate is to open source the lesson's we've learned over the past 6 years. If people like what we do, (and we've gotten a lot of great feedback from affiliates so far) then great! It's free! Steal it and make it better for your situation. If you think it's bogus, let me know why.

There seems to be a pejorative tone when you say, your members don't do "what they want to do". Am I off on that? As described in the article, our open gym is staffed so that everyone gets some attention and we filter in people based on experience and the ability to train intelligently outside of a class setting. We've had plenty of members for 4+ years, I would hope they've been taught movement and training philosophy well enough by now to come in, warm-up, deadlift, do a short wod and then call it a day.

Thoughts?
I love it. Keep pumping them out. I'm a brand new affiliate and do open gym where people can work on things while I'm there. I'm not sure if skip thought you were pushing for an open gym like a golds but I didn't take it that way. I wouldn't want people in there without me. I just know it takes a lot more work than a few wods a week to master a lot of these movements.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

I love open gym time almost as much as classes. People come in, some have specific things in mind to practice, some are making up a WOD, some doing some mobility work, others looking for a partner in crime ("ok.......50 slam balls for time......who's in??!!). The more I think of it, I don't know how you could NOT have open gym time. People aren't going to acquire new skills, or improve on glaring weaknesses, during a class, and if they don't have equipment at home, how else would they work on them?

I should probably add, there's always a coach at open gym, or two, or three. Sometimes maybe they're working out, too. If they're actually doing a timed WOD, no one would bother them, but if they're just working on things like the rest of us, they're still available to assist, educate, coach, etc... I can blink and lose two hours at open gym!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

We offer open gym hours M-F at 10a, M/W at 7p, and Sundays from 10-12p.

It consists of having a trainer or 2 there to work with anyone that asks. Many work on skills, or strength, and some make up a missed WOD during the week.

I think it allows some variety into the training, and allows some freedom to their training.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
Brian Diez

Profile:

Awesome post, David. Thanks for the share.