CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 AM   #31
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Suggestion for beginner footwear.

Im thinkingnof getting some Nanos. The problem is I have to order online. But im not sure about the size. Shall I just get the same size as my running shoes, that have a bit of space left or nanos should be tighter?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #32
Boris Wartenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Im thinkingnof getting some Nanos. The problem is I have to order online. But im not sure about the size. Shall I just get the same size as my running shoes, that have a bit of space left or nanos should be tighter?
You can not buy two different sizes and send back the ones wich do not fit and only pay one pair?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #33
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:

Narrow foot = Inov8s
FAT foot = Nano's

I swear to my Inov's 195
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #34
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
Okay- dumb question that's probably off-topic: Are there any actual Olympic shoes? Aren't there just "lifting" shoes? I use my Reebok lifters for pretty much all lifting other than deadlifts. Am I doing it wrong?
Yeah, they're just lifting shoes.

I just think of them as Olympic lifting shoes on account of all that I ever do in them is clean (& jerk) and snatch (and, well, front squat, but to me that's just a component of the clean). I don't deadlift, back squat, or (well) bench in them ever. That's what my Chucks are for.

- Mark
Old 01-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #35
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Yeah, they're just lifting shoes.

I just think of them as Olympic lifting shoes on account of all that I ever do in them is clean (& jerk) and snatch (and, well, front squat, but to me that's just a component of the clean). I don't deadlift, back squat, or (well) bench in them ever. That's what my Chucks are for.

- Mark
Thanks for the reply.

So you don't squat in your Oly shoes? That question itself is probably worthy of many debate threads...
Old 01-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #36
Frank Ngo

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

So you don't squat in your Oly shoes? That question itself is probably worthy of many debate threads...
Front squat = Yes, shoes allow you to stay in optimal positioning (upright torso) much easier.

OHS = Definitely helps if you have ankle mobility issues - Olympic shoes will help you feel much more stable (a substitute many use is placing your heels on 10 lb plates when OHS, if it helps, its possibly your ankles lack of range of motion)

BS = you can or you can't. Your personal preference.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #37
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Front squat - yes.
Back squat - no.

I already tend to rock forward when I back squat, which of course I shouldn't do. The raised heel of my lifting shoes is counterproductive against my attempts to stay back in my heels.

And, yes, I should be staying back in my heels as well on front squats, but since the front squat is (at least in my mind) a component of the clean, and I always try to wear my lifting shoes when I'm working on cleans, I let myself wear my lifting shoes when front squatting. I don't *always* do this though. I probably wear my Chucks at least 70% of the time when I am working on front squats.

- Mark
Old 01-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #38
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

To the OP-

Much to consider when buying shoes - type of workout, shape/anatomy/volume of foot, prior injuries/deformities, build of the last, flexibility of user (especially calves), etc.

I'm finding myself wearing Inov-8 Fastlifts for nearly everything...but that's me and the type of WOD's I am encountering. As one CF Coach recently said, "We are all unique snowflakes."

I worked in the footwear industry as a manufacturer rep for several years. I am happy to help point you in the right direction, but only you can determine what works for you through experimentation. You are the lab and the scientist.

I will say this - I firmly believe choice of footwear to be #1 on the list of priorities when purchasing equipment. You will get what you pay for. Before I'd splurge on the fancy printed wrist wrap, I would put that money in my footwear. Your feet are your foundation (aside from core). If the foundation is compromised, weakened, or unstable, the building will crack, fail, and eventually crumble.

Feel free to message me if I can help.

Joshua
Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #39
Saul Garcia

Profile:

I am a Nike guy, been that way all my life. I was a Nike employee for half a decade (nothing special, just retail), when the Nike Free dropped, that was my go to shoe. Loved it, loved the versatility of it when it came from going to running outdoors to weight training.

However, when I started doing Crossfit, I just didn't feel the stability. I caved and got some Nano (U-Form) 2.0's on sale and never looked back. The New Balance Minimus is also great, but hated running in them.

I'm a big shoe guy, and I love Nike, but they have not ventured into CF (Due to Reeboks exclusive deal). I will stick to Nano's, love them, just bought the 3.0's and can't wait to bust them out.

Looking at Romaleos or AdiPowers for weight lifting.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #40
Price Goosby

Profile:

I go with pair of "One" trainers and they seem to work just as effectively as a pair of 2.0s, plus they're a ton cheaper (I was able to get them for around $40 at a reebok outlet) . I've thought about investing in some 3.0s, but the toe just feels too roomy and since they were redesigned with rope climbs in mind and I don't have access to ropes it kind of seems pointless.