CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #21
Boris Wartenberg

Profile:
Re: Business telephone question!

OK, Im not in the US, so I do not know if it works over there, but Im working for a telecommunication company in germany that is specialized in FreePhone and Shared Cost numbers.
What about a FreePhone number in US?? In germany it is quite popular and does not cost as much as a proper bumper plate....
Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
Bennie Dimas

Profile:

I quickly read through the conversation and didn't see anyone mention "Call Rail". 2 partners and I recently opened our box and are using it. We pay $30 per month, get a local number, that is automatically forwarded to all 3 of our cel phones. Whoever is available, or the 1st person available, can answer the call. When my phone rings and I look at it, it says "CrossFit Quake" calling.. Then when I answer the phone there is a call "whisper" that tells me "CrossFit Quake calling" and I know to answer it properly. This has worked well for us so far... Not free, but not too expensive, you get a local number, and again- works fine so far... We just opened 6 weeks ago.
Google-FREE is always good tho! Good luck! Ben
Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
David Patton

Profile:

I also use Silent Circle for a phone number on my iphone. Gives me a local number in the area code i chose. Is a paid service that works great. I know when my "silent Circle" numbers rings it is work, so answer appropriatly.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
Dustin Gyurina

Profile:

I use Google but I cannot differentiate between calls from Google number and calls to my cell number. I have iPhone 5. When I tried to forward to my friends Samsung note 2 you can easily see the call is from Google number. So right now unless I get a call that's from my contacts I just assume it's a business call. Same thing with voice mail, both numbers go to my carriers voice mail when sent to my iPhone, but not the case with my friends Samsung. This was really awkward when I still had my day job but not so much not that CrossFit is my life.

Has anyone got this to work with iPhone?
Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
Shawn Hiller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Gyurina View Post
I use Google but I cannot differentiate between calls from Google number and calls to my cell number. I have iPhone 5. When I tried to forward to my friends Samsung note 2 you can easily see the call is from Google number. So right now unless I get a call that's from my contacts I just assume it's a business call. Same thing with voice mail, both numbers go to my carriers voice mail when sent to my iPhone, but not the case with my friends Samsung. This was really awkward when I still had my day job but not so much not that CrossFit is my life.

Has anyone got this to work with iPhone?
Works just fine with my iPhone!?!? I entered the google phone number into my iPhone as our Affiliate name. When anyone calls that number, it rings to my iPhone, and comes up as the name of the Affiliate on my phone. If I choose not to answer it, it goes straight to my google voicemail set up for the Affiliate, NOT my personal one. Go into the settings portion in the web browser (google g-mail), to make adjust your settings.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
Melissa Leon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post

You can get a phone line with vm for pretty cheap. $40/mon maybe? People are paying you a premium for a service, you want to play the part. If someone is asking me for 5-10x the price of the average gym in your area; I'd hope they can spend a few bucks for a phone line.

If the options mentioned go through your cell phone, my only question would be is how do you know when an incoming call is for your CrossFit, or for you; personally. You should be answering when people call you for CrossFit with a different response than when someone is calling you personally.
Brian I'm with you on this.

Shawn - I seriously recommend getting a dedicated land line. We have two lines with an easy to remember number xxx-0000. They both get busy at times. People also call at bizarre hours to leave voice-mails. As a business owner you want to be able to leave work at work sometimes.

Each market is different but our members never call the gym anyways. Our land line usage is split 50/50 between prospects and B2B. The fitness market here is extremely competitive; an area code that doesn't match our location would be a huge red flag.

I use Google voice on my personal phone. It's a great service but there are business specific solutions out there. Google voice also doesn't own the exchanges. Verizon, here, however does and can get you any number you want.

Whatever system you choose just make sure your back-end is airtight from day 0. Insurance/merchant processing/book keeping/POS/attendance tracking/etc. Oversights from the start will cost you down the road when they become enough of a problem when you notice it.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #27
David Patton

Profile:

Look into 8x8 phones.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
Shawn Hiller

Profile:

[quote=Melissa Leon;1210857]Brian I'm with you on this.

Quote:
Shawn - I seriously recommend getting a dedicated land line. We have two lines with an easy to remember number xxx-0000. They both get busy at times. People also call at bizarre hours to leave voice-mails. As a business owner you want to be able to leave work at work sometimes.
Good point about leaving work at work...

Quote:
Each market is different but our members never call the gym anyways. Our land line usage is split 50/50 between prospects and B2B. The fitness market here is extremely competitive; an area code that doesn't match our location would be a huge red flag.
My Google # has a local number and area code, so far, it works fine.

Quote:
I use Google voice on my personal phone. It's a great service but there are business specific solutions out there. Google voice also doesn't own the exchanges. Verizon, here, however does and can get you any number you want.
I hear you on this, however, if google provides the same level of service as a paid one, I don't see the advantage to switching and paying unless I'm missing something.

Quote:
Whatever system you choose just make sure your back-end is airtight from day 0. Insurance/merchant processing/book keeping/POS/attendance tracking/etc. Oversights from the start will cost you down the road when they become enough of a problem when you notice it.
ABSOLUTELY agree with you on this one. We still have a few weeks before we open.