CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
David Osorio

Profile:
FitDay is a website that works as a food log to track your caloric/nutrient intake. It also tracks energy expenditure vs. intake.

If anyone else has used it and has input on its validity, please comment.

Anyway, i was thinking about using it to get a better idea of how im really eating. Sometimes i'm not sure of the CHO/PRO/FT raitos i'm actually consuming work out the way i want them to. Perhaps it can help some other people trying to figure out their nutrition?

Safe Link:
www.fitday.com
Old 12-16-2006, 03:27 AM   #2
Paul Williams

Profile:
I've started wearing a HRM all day, from waking to sleeping. I do this every few weeks, to see how many calories i'm burning on an average day.

I do this both rest and training days.

Keeps me more in-tune with my calorific expenditure.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Yes, I use FitDay. Seems to work pretty well. I can't vouch for its accuracy but it seems fine. If you're on a special diet, it helps you make sure you get all the essential macronutrients and vitamins/minerals, etc.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
It was recommended to me to use fitday or calorieking once a week or so to check how I am doing, which has been a good idea so far. Between family/work/church/workout responsibilities I just can't plug in everything I eat every day.

BTW: I just used it to calculate the nutrition information per serving on a cake. I entered each ingredient separately and it added it all together, then divided by number of servings. We're not a zone family but I would think that feature would work well for dishes that aren't listed in the zone books.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Cassi:

It has a commonly eaten foods list which are the 30 or so things you've eaten in the recent past. You just select a food and it logs it. Honestly, it takes me about 5 minutes per day to keep track of stuff. Unless you are very uniform in your eating habits, once per week is not going to tell you very much.

Also, it's much more than a calorie counter. If you're doing Paleo or Zone, it allows you to see where you stand. For instance, I didn't start eating today until noon. Now I'm going to plug in what I ate and see where I stand. I would then adjust what I eat for the rest of the day. I think you'll find that there are big benefits.

By the way, plugging in the individual ingredients in most cases is not necessary. Just get close enough. So search for, "cake chocolate" and you'll get an existing entry. Then use the dropdown to choose the portion size. Often it will have multiple sizing: "small slice", "8 oz", etc.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
Weird, but I have to plug in food almost every time I use fitday. They didn't have plain Greek yogurt, for example, and this cake: http://www.scharffenberger.com/re0201.asp undoubtedly has different nutrition information than a cake from a mix.

But, I agree it is a useful tool.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
As a trainer, i have my clients input there food intake for a week, and then have them email me there log to look over...really helps me understand what there eating and such....i think its a great tool
Old 12-19-2006, 04:48 AM   #8
Jodi Bainbridge

Profile:
Yes, fitday is a great tool. It's a pain to get started but once you get the hang of it, it takes only minutes per day. It's important though to input the nutritional information off all packaged foods that you eat by creating a custom food. This is much more accurate then using the generic information found on the site (although it has its purposes).

I use it to track what I am eating and verify that I am meeting my nutritional requirements. I'm not sure how accurate it is when it comes to calories burned...my guess though, is not very.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:05 AM   #9
Janine Daigle

Profile:
So do you guys use the free online account? or do you have to buy the software to have full usage?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
David Osorio

Profile:
The free account works very well, i'm not sure how many bells and whistles the paid program has but i would imagine it's provides more information that you don't really need. I basically just use it for my nutrient ratios.