CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I think it depends on what type of fat you replaced the carbs with. If it was olive oil, or the fat from nuts/seeds than yeah, you'd probably see a drop in performance. However, I think if you replaced the carbs with mostly animal fat and coconut oil than your performance would be fine. Just don't drop carbs TOO low. There's still important stuff we need to get from veggies. Try to stay in the 100 g/day range, possibly a bit lower if you could tolerate it. After reading Life Without Bread, and from my experiences, I am convinced that as long as adequate levels of animal fats are consumed that carbohydrates are not required for any type of activity. For the fruit, I definitely don't doubt that fruit could cause diabetes if eaten excessively. I was eating a lot of fruit the past month, and I can tell you that it HASN'T had a positive effect on my health. At first I felt great, but then I started to get small bouts of depression (as a result of blood sugar fluctuations)and really felt agitated all the time. I think good fruits to stick with are watermelon and honeydew, but I still try to be moderate. Things like bananas, grapes, and berries cause an immediate sugar rush for me; not a good sign. I think it's good to always tinker and find what works and what doesn't. What I've really found to be no-no's are most fruits and excessive fibrous vegetables (and obviously all non-paleo foods). I think animal fats are essential as long as you get them from the flesh of the animal, not from butter and cream, like I once did. Right now my diet is mostly meat and it's fat (flesh fat), generous amounts of nut butters, a small portion of green vegetables, and I was including tubers but eliminated them for the same reasons as I did the fruit. Right now I feel as though a meat, nuts and veggies approach is ideal. Carbs have been significantly lower the past week and I've been feeling better.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
Marie Lohan

Profile:
hey Greg,
do you try to get things in the zone ratios or do you find that with your diet you don't need to. I've been eating paleo for some time now but thought in order to improve peformance and hopefully put on muscle and lose some fat that I might tweek my diet towards the zone ratios. However, since making a few changes in that direction, ie less animal fats etc, I've noticed I've become very weery, not feeling wanting to do my workouts, etc, (I don't know if the fact that I've started drinking coffee again after having not done so for years may have had an effect??). I'm also interested, though quite nervous about, IF. I tend to eat my last meal quite early, 5.30/6.00. When would I next be able to eat then. Do people find they can exercise for time first thing in the morning without breaking the IF fast beforehand? Sorry, lots of questions I know.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:51 AM   #13
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Marie-

This summer I have been eating my last meal anywhere from 3-7pm. Next meal doesn't come until 9am-noon the next day. I workout in the morning coming off the fast and have no issues with it. Might take an adjustment period, as I've been doing this for close to a year.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #14
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Marie, I don't use Zone ratios and doubt that I ever will. I think the Zone is a good approach that emphasizes healthy food choices (for the most part) but I think the Zone is too time consuming and overly meticulous for most people. Plus, I personally feel that the carbohydrate level(40% of calories) on the Zone diet is far too high. I do, however, adhere strictly to Paleo parameters (fresh meat, nuts/seeds, veggies) and never avoid animal fat, EVER (flesh fat that is). There's no wonder why your performance has suffered with a reduction/elimination of animals fats. The fats found in animals are the fats that humans have evolved mostly to eat and therefore our bodies are much more efficient at metabolizing these fats at a fast pace. Fats founds in oils such as olive oil, canola oil, flax oil, and all nut oils are of the longer chain variety(which we are not particularly adapted to eat much of) and therefore are metabolized at a much slower and inefficient pace. Not to mention the importance of saturated fat on the absorption of vits/mins and there bone-sparing effect, appetie supressing effect, and palatability. Don't avoid fatty meat and give up that coffee habit. As for IF, most CFers use 15 hours as the minimum time for IF, so if you stop eating at 6:00pm then you wouldn't eat again until 9:00am the next morning. That's not the only approach though. I think it depends on when you workout. I generally workout at around 5:00pm, so I usually don't eat anything all day, workout at 5:00pm and then eat my first meal at 6:00pm (sometimes my only meal) and then have an eating window from 6:00pm to 10:00pm where I eat as much as my appetite desires, I just stick to paleo foods. So I fast for a total of 20 hours and eat for only 4 hours, everyday. I love IF and it feels great. It really depends on your workout schedule and you should build IF around your workouts. Don't be nervous about IF, just work into it slowly. You might want to start off by doing maybe only 2 or 3 days a week where you do IF and then add an extra day each week until you're doing it 7 days a week. Or you could start doing it everyday but only start out with a very short fast, like maybe 8 hours, and then add 1 hour or a half hour everyday until you've reached 15 hours (or whatever your desired fasting time is). Hope this helped.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #15
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
After reading Life Without Bread, and from my experiences, I am convinced that as long as adequate levels of animal fats are consumed that carbohydrates are not required for any type of activity.

It would be great if that were true. Sadly it is not.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #16
Marie Lohan

Profile:
Thanks guys. I think I'll try introducing IF ro 1 -2 days a week. I generally work out in the morning at the moment so I presume I would eat my first meal after that. On another subject, I think its a great shame that Antony Colpos websight is no more, I think the reason he never mentioned IF is that he maybe thought it was a root not many people would take, though I believe he only ate 2 times a day himself.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #17
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Charlie, do you have anything else to add? Perhaps you'd like to inform us of something that helps? What is true?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #18
Marie Lohan

Profile:
Hey Greg, is your eating 'routine' the same thing as the 'warrior diet'?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #19
Randy Roper

Profile:
Greg,
After reading an article on the subject I switched to a diet of about 45% protein, 50 % fat and 5% carbs (about 60 gr per day). I've been dropping body fat and maintaining my strength and energy during workouts, so I'm on board with your nutrition philosophy, at least it's worked for the past month for me. I find that the Zone carbs are too much for me and I feel lethargic. I may tweak a bit after reading your posts because I do consume a fair amount of fat from olive oil, butter and nuts.