CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
Andy Gann

Profile:
Best Ways/Exercises to build strength and agility for kids

Hey - I have two children. Boy (11) and girl (9). The boy plays soccer and the girl plays basketball. Both of them have new seasons/tryouts coming up in 6 weeks and they are wanting to prepare.

Overall fitness really isn't a problem... meaning they both have enough gas in the tank to play - they stay pretty active. But they both have weaknesses or chinks in their armor and I'm wondering how to address them?

My son is very slow and can't jump very high. Last night we were sprinting up a hill and his younger sister beat him. He was upset after but wouldn't tell us why (even though we knew ....). He also can hardly do an air squat without his knees collapsing to the center.

My daughter is quick and fast but lacks upper body strength which limits her range in shooting. Anything from beyond a short free throw distance from the basket is difficult.

Also - neither one of them can do a pull up ...........

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on how to help them make progress in those areas over the next 6 weeks ... Any suggestions?
Old 01-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: Best Ways/Exercises to build strength and agility for kids

Well for upper body strength even a push-up program can do wonders.

My 10 year old struggled hard doing them. I gave him an app on his iPad to do 100 push-ups in a day (progressive building up). He is now at about 30-40 push-ups in a short period when doing 4-5 at a time was hard.

I would also add in pull-ups or even ring rows to have a pulling / pushing mix if you wanted to go purely body weight vs weight training.

For the squat I taught my boys how to do box body weight squats first when their air squats were terrible. After a few lessons their air squat improved big time.

I like to do broad jumps and prowler pushing with my boys for explosive stuff but we also do short sprints too. Box jumps are used, and I also use jumping over stuff in succession. 6 weeks is plenty of time to work skills. If you have easy access to that hill, then keep hill sprinting 1-2x a week. I ran a ton of hill sprints as a kid - collegiate track. Sure they sucked but they did wonders. Make sure to work on good driving form.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: Best Ways/Exercises to build strength and agility for kids

Thanks Shawn .. I really appreciate it. I'm going to give all of your suggestions a try.