CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
Philip Burch

Profile:
Progenex More Muscle and Recovery

What's the real difference in the two? Based on the label, I really dont see that much difference. It looks like just another protein supplement. I also take it Progenex doesnt follow the high glycemic carb load post-WOD.
I all for recovery post-WOD and great whey protein products, but help me understand why I should buy one or both of these products. Aside from each has Hydrolyzed Whey Protein.
I also noticed some folks touting great reviews on Atlarge products. They look to cost the same as Progenex.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: Progenex More Muscle and Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Burch View Post
What's the real difference in the two? Based on the label, I really dont see that much difference. It looks like just another protein supplement. I also take it Progenex doesnt follow the high glycemic carb load post-WOD.
I all for recovery post-WOD and great whey protein products, but help me understand why I should buy one or both of these products. Aside from each has Hydrolyzed Whey Protein.
I also noticed some folks touting great reviews on Atlarge products. They look to cost the same as Progenex.
Progenex is marketed towards CF athletes so of course they just gobble it up. AtLarge might be the same cost, but you get like 60-70 servings vs the 30 servings for Progenex.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Philip Burch

Profile:

Ya. They def hit the mark with being marketed toward CrossFit. I'm honestly not that impressed with it. AND there's not that much difference between the two. Why is one a recovery and the other a meal replacement? Also, I found some research stating one needs high-carb and protein following a workout and Recovery has maybe 8g of carbs. I'm guessing they're keeping the carbs low to be "paleo".
I'll look again but I think even Robb Wolf said in an article to carb up a bit after a WOD.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Burch View Post
Ya. They def hit the mark with being marketed toward CrossFit. I'm honestly not that impressed with it. AND there's not that much difference between the two. Why is one a recovery and the other a meal replacement? Also, I found some research stating one needs high-carb and protein following a workout and Recovery has maybe 8g of carbs. I'm guessing they're keeping the carbs low to be "paleo".
I'll look again but I think even Robb Wolf said in an article to carb up a bit after a WOD.
Correct. Fast acting carbs with protein are optimal post workout. I usually just add my own with some dextrose.

And more towards the original post, Progenex is completely overpriced and not worth the money. It is nothing special.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

What they said .
Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Super shady company. The product that made them very famous (before Crossfit) they no longer have the license to sell. That's all I will say.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Deyan View Post
Super shady company. The product that made them very famous (before Crossfit) they no longer have the license to sell. That's all I will say.
Whether or not all that stuff you read is true, its hard for me to believe it all since one of the owners is a member at my gym and is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lockhart View Post
Whether or not all that stuff you read is true, its hard for me to believe it all since one of the owners is a member at my gym and is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
Do you mind saying who it is? I've had plenty of good encounters with the people who ran Progenex at the time I was in contact with them. But I have read the court documents, it doesn't look good. I have no doubt some of the people running that show are nice. But I would like to see them working with the original manufacturer of Progenex to bring the original stuff back since it was the best. If I were a competitive athlete or just really hell bent on great recovery, I would prob just order the stuff from AU myself. I still might, just to even see if the stuff being sold really is the same as the original Progenex. It's really tough in the supplement industry and the protein market to really know what you're getting. Hydrolyzed protein is freakin' expensive, and it's super bitter. So when companies add all kinds of sweeteners to make it taste better, it's hard to really know what you're getting when some companies are charging $50 or so for 4 pounds which seems far too cheap to be 100% hydrolyzed, and other companies are charging far more. Any company willing to disclose 3rd party certificates would have my loyalty. It'd just be nice to know what ratio Progenex is using for their hydrolyzed stuff. And to clear the air of the Connelly mess as well. But even then, that online hacking thing will never go away.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
Alex Diaz

Profile:

Quote:
Do you mind saying who it is? I've had plenty of good encounters with the people who ran Progenex at the time I was in contact with them. But I have read the court documents, it doesn't look good. I have no doubt some of the people running that show are nice. But I would like to see them working with the original manufacturer of Progenex to bring the original stuff back since it was the best. If I were a competitive athlete or just really hell bent on great recovery, I would prob just order the stuff from AU myself. I still might, just to even see if the stuff being sold really is the same as the original Progenex. It's really tough in the supplement industry and the protein market to really know what you're getting. Hydrolyzed protein is freakin' expensive, and it's super bitter. So when companies add all kinds of sweeteners to make it taste better, it's hard to really know what you're getting when some companies are charging $50 or so for 4 pounds which seems far too cheap to be 100% hydrolyzed, and other companies are charging far more. Any company willing to disclose 3rd party certificates would have my loyalty. It'd just be nice to know what ratio Progenex is using for their hydrolyzed stuff. And to clear the air of the Connelly mess as well. But even then, that online hacking thing will never go away.
The hacking thing won't go away, no. In the beginning they were all over people's social media defending themselves and when the court documents began circulating they stopped even trying.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
David L Jones

Profile:

Quote:
What is th name of the AU company that sells the original formula? And is it really worth it?