CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Eric Lester

Profile:
Abdominal injury from GHD Situps?

Last Tuesday I did the recent WOD of cleans and GHD situps. I learned the GHD situps at my Level 1 a while back, but this was the first time I've done them in a workout.

I managed to do all 150 and did not feel that wiped from it. The next day my abs were so sore I could not stand up straight. In fact, it took 4 days before I could stand erect. My back got sore from constantly hunching over. I had to sleep on my side almost in a fetal position. My abs were sore almost up to my pecs (is that even abs up there?).

It is now 8 days since that workout. I have not hit the gym since. My abs still feel intensely fatigued. They only feel sore if I arch my back, like I was doing in the GHD situp movement. I tried doing some handstands last night and could barely stabilize myself. I am chomping at the bit and going to see how I handle a workout today.

ANYWAY. My question is should I be concerned about this? I have never had anything stay this sore after 8 days of inactivity.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Abdominal injury from GHD Situps?

You had borderline rhabdo. GHD situps are a killer for the uninitiated, and are not to be taken lightly. There are multiple stories like yours on these boards from people who did too many that first workout. You're lucky you didn't have major swelling or a hernia or anything.

Try some regular situps to help the DOMS go away, then low volume GHD situps when the soreness is gone. You will be weaker from the rhabdo but will get the strength back quickly. Add them to your warmup, otherwise they will crush you every time they come up in a WOD.

HTH
Old 06-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Eric Lester

Profile:

Thanks, Ben. I considered Rhabdo when my urine looked a bit dark the next couple days. I just figured it couldn't happen to me after Crossfitting for so long. Craziness.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Brett Dartt

Profile:

uggh anytime i do more than abou 20 of those i hurt for a week. literally. almost unable to move the next day. and what you described is exactly how i felt the first time. i did fifty.

i am in not very good shape though
Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Drink more water.

Avoid any activity for as long as it takes for the swelling and pain to go down. Maybe very very very very very light work. After that, it will take a fair bit to bring them back up to strength. Do NO high intensity workouts to do so.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I have no idea how some people who are obviously fitter and stronger than me can have this happening to them. I don't have the GHD machine but I sit on a bench, anchor my feet with the power rack, and do them.. I am sore of course but not like you're describing. Maybe it's easier doing them like I do? Makes me wonder. I did 50 the other day (first workout in about 10 days) and was sore for the next 4 days but not hunched or anything. These stories make me afraid of doing them.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

I don't have a GHD so when I was at an affiliate this past weekend I jumped at the chance to use it. I did about 100 total and the next day EVERY ab muscle was tore up! They were unbelievably sore for the next 4 days, having finally allowed me to do some burpees yesterday. Until that I could not hold a planche portion of a push up! Not as bad as your experience, but still not fun. The GHD situp is no joke.

Arturo - what you describe seems very different. If you are using a bench, I would guess that the pivot point would be different and you certainly will not be able to get the same range of motion as the GHD. Check this wfs video out:http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...unSitupWOD.wmv
40 seconds in he starts the situps...hope that helps!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 06-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Eric Lester

Profile:

Thanks for your replies everyone. I am taking the advice and waiting to go back to the gym and will start with some light things.

-EDITED for elementary grammar mistake.-
Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Joshua: I'm downloading that video... however, lemme just clarify something: The bench is perpendicular to my body, and under my butt. So when I lean back, my body can go lower than horizontal, actually to the point of touching my head to the floor. The bench must be about 20 inches tall (a guess, but must be a close guess). So it's similar to what I've seen in videos of GH sit-ups, I'd say.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Let's see... why does GHD cause more rhabdo?

1. huge ROM which abs are not used to = more microtearing and muscle desctruction
2. long eccentric stopping = more microtearing and muscle destruction
3. generally high reps.... = more microtearing and muscle desctruction

I think that about covers it. Even if your conditioning is good this is an exercise that can literally rape you.