CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Tim Farestad

Profile:
Childcare at an Affiliate?

Quick question. Curious if someone has seen an affiliate that offers child care while their parents are working out? One of the biggest issues for me and my fiancee when looking for a gym was what to do with the little guy while we were working out. We settled on the Y.

Me and my friend are looking into opening a small affiliate and were wondering about the idea of incorporating a daycare for parents that also wanted to join. We have the place picked out, 3300 sqft should be plenty to have a small childcare and still accommodate 5-10 person classes at the beginning. Obviously we are far from opening, as we still have a lot of work to get done before that happens. , but this idea would change the building location if it's just going to be a flop.

For those with younger kids, would this even be an appealing option?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Childcare at an Affiliate?

I've been a member at two different boxes that offered childcare: Mad City CrossFit and Back Country Crossfit.

Mad City's child care is in a room with a door that closes. They have windows in the wall at child height, so the kids can see their parents working out. The separate room keeps the parents from being distracted by the kids during the WOD. The owners had parents volunteer to watch the kids in child care in exchange for a discount on their membership. Eventually their child care attracted enough parents with older kids too, so this developed into a CrossFit kids program. They did after-school WODs for the kids, then gave them study time to do their homework. The kid's room had a desk running along one wall for study time.

Back Country CrossFit has an area fenced off with toys and a TV. Parents are free to set up a video for their kids and get them settled before the WOD. They can see each other during WODs. As a parent, it was occasionally distracting to work out and wonder if my boys were behaving, but it was never truly a problem to have them there - more of a distracting excuse like the chalk bucket or the water bottle.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Childcare at an Affiliate?

Is there a separate room? Or just an "area".

I would also check with your liability insurance for the cost.