CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Kirksman Teo

Profile:
Running a strength biased Crossfit gym.

Hello all. I'm opening a Crossfit gym, but coming from the Olympic weightlifting/strength background, I'd like my clients to reap the benefits of strength and cross training.

Since we run 1 hour classes, I'm going to have my WOD's setup like this;

1. Warm-Ups. 10 minutes

- Explosive movements
- Static hip flexor, ankle, shoulder stretches
- Glute and hip activation exercises. Unilateral and bilateral.

2. Main Strength/Hypertrophy Workout. 20 minutes.

- Choose either the squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, push presses, pull-ups, etc.
- Work up to a 3-5RM.
- Depending on the phase of training, should it be hypertrophy day, make clients do 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps after working to 3-5RM

3. WOD that complements the main strength workout. 15 minutes.

- If it was deadlifts that was done as main strength/hypertrophy workout, will select back/hip/Plyo exercises

- Back - Pull-Ups (Increase muscular density/strength of back)
- Hip - Hang power cleans (Improve speed past knee)
- Plyo - Box Jumps (Improve explosiveness)

So WOD would be;

Kipping Pull-Ups (20 reps)
Hang Power Cleans (3 reps with a 5RM)
Box Jumps (10 reps)

AMRAP, 10 minutes

4. Stretch, roll and cooldown (5 minutes)

What do you guys think of this? I'm also running a daily no strength component WOD for those who are less interested in the strength aspect. It'll likely be the same WOD, but with an additional 2 rounds, or 5 minutes if it's an AMRAP workout. This will enable me to analyze the progression of the clients both with and without the strength program.

I'm actually quite confident that the ones doing the strength metcon, will improve in more aspects than those with only the WOD. Back when I was training in China with the university weightlifting team (Zhuhai), I asked them on the last day, to do Cindy with me. The ones that got suckered into it, was a 94KG that squats 290KG with a snatch of 180KG and CNJ of 200KG, a 69KG that snatches 145KG and jerks 180KG with a back squat of 250KG and their coach, who power cleaned 140KG at I think 50+ years old, without any warmup. I squat 210KG and snatch 125, CNJ, 155KG.

Every one of them hit 20 rounds and this was only because they realized after the first round, if they went all out, they'd be exhausted so they waited to do their sets to the minute. I did 17 rounds and called it a day.

Any thoughts from the more experienced Crossfitters?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Running a strength biased Crossfit gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirksman Teo View Post
I'd like my clients to reap the benefits of strength .
This really should have been posted in the Running a Crossfit Facility section, but since you posted the above quote, I'm in love with you.

Someone has already asked your question here http://talktomejohnnie.com/cf-footba...l-for-crossfit (wfs)

Have a read of John's answer, since he's the smartest guy in the world. Then come back with more questions here or email him directly.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
Kirksman Teo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Traeger View Post
This really should have been posted in the Running a Crossfit Facility section, but since you posted the above quote, I'm in love with you.

Someone has already asked your question here http://talktomejohnnie.com/cf-footba...l-for-crossfit (wfs)

Have a read of John's answer, since he's the smartest guy in the world. Then come back with more questions here or email him directly.
THANKS! I'll post it there instead. And read that Crossfit Football site

And nice to see you're from my favorite place in the entire world, Perth. I was there for over a month, training with Southern Crossfit at Willeton and chillin at Subi.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Malacca as in the small state in Malaysia right?

And yea, have a look through all the talktomejohnnie posts, and also the FAQ on the crossfit football site. There's a good dose of info there.

Open a box here instead in southern (or south eastern) suburbs of Perth, I'll join
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Richard Colon

Profile:

I like it. A lot..

For the strength portion, do you choose the exercise or do they?

If you choose, then my question is answered. If they choose, then do you program a metcon that compliments the strength chosen for each individual?

4 people do the 'Squat' based metcon, 3 people did Deadlifts so they do the metcon you explained and a few others did weighted pull-ups, so they get another different metcon?

Thanks, really good stuff!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Kirksman Teo

Profile:

Quote:
Malacca as in the small state in Malaysia right?

And yea, have a look through all the talktomejohnnie posts, and also the FAQ on the crossfit football site. There's a good dose of info there.

Open a box here instead in southern (or south eastern) suburbs of Perth, I'll join
Yeap, 1 1/2 hours south of Kuala Lumpur.

There are plans of emigration (apparently, migration's only for birds) to Perth in a few years. However, location for a CF gym in Perth remains, tough to find. My friends and I searched from Burswood, to Canning Vale, but we just couldn't find a good location. It didn't help that you guys use square meters, while I'm used to square feet. (I have no clue why we're a metric country, but use imperial for space) so the first two locations I went to was like 100-120 SQM or smtg. Least the ceilings are high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I like it. A lot..

For the strength portion, do you choose the exercise or do they?

If you choose, then my question is answered. If they choose, then do you program a metcon that compliments the strength chosen for each individual?

4 people do the 'Squat' based metcon, 3 people did Deadlifts so they do the metcon you explained and a few others did weighted pull-ups, so they get another different metcon?

Thanks, really good stuff!
I think, that'd be well and truly into personal training. Also it'll be difficult to run in a class environment. I'd end up having to teach 3 different strength movements, to 3 different sets of people, in 1 hour.

Crossfit's a smart system economically. I well and truly believe, Crossfit's limitation that is "individual specific training", opens a market for 1-1 coaching. Hoping to find some potential strength athletes while in this!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:

David, thanks SO much for introducing me to that blog! I'm always on the lookout for solid CF strength related info (it's my biggest weakness)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Hah! Biting the bullet, Kirksman? I think I saw you over on Pendlay's.

For part 2, you can also use 1s, 2s as well. You might even be able to pair up some exercises (squat and press). You can also sub in gymnastics strength instead of barbell strength or the olympic lifts. For gymnastics strength, you can pair some exercises, maybe even 3 different exercises. ( Front Lever, Back Lever, Planche/HS/ring support ) or weighted pullup/dips or HSPU/pullups.

Some gyms like to do Team WOD, Chippers, or Hero Wod's on Saturday. This might be also a day to do something like a 5 or 10k.