CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Mike Hollister

Profile:
Building a lifting platforms: 6 X 8 or 8 X 8?

So my R3 is coming on Friday and I'm going to have a lifting platform on either side of it to accommodate two lifters. I can fit two 8x8 platforms in the space but I'm wondering how necessary that will be? How important is the extra two feet? I've haven't lifted on platforms at all really, so I don't know.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Chris J. Campbell

Profile:
Re: Building a lifting platforms: 6 X 8 or 8 X 8?

My assumption on the 8x8 lifting platforms was the ease of construction since the majority of plans I've seen involve the use of 4 sheets of 4x8 plywood as the foundation.

I'm also going to be building a platform soon and I bookmarked the Ironmind article to follow (WFS) http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...weathome6.html
Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Mike Wazowski

Profile:

6 x 8 is fine, but 8 x 8 is so much nicer.... Once you lift on an 8 x 8 you will look at 6 x 8 as a poor man's version of a "real" lifting platform.... If the two lifters follow similar programming, you can fit them both on an 8 x 8, so you could build just one 8 x 8 and see how it goes, if they feel too cramped then you can add another platform.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

If you have the space.. go as big as you can..
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wazowski View Post
6 x 8 is fine, but 8 x 8 is so much nicer.... Once you lift on an 8 x 8 you will look at 6 x 8 as a poor man's version of a "real" lifting platform.... If the two lifters follow similar programming, you can fit them both on an 8 x 8, so you could build just one 8 x 8 and see how it goes, if they feel too cramped then you can add another platform.
Pretty much this^^^

I would build one to start with and I would go with 8x8. That's what I had in my garage and I loved it. If you go with 8x6, it will feel too small and that can mess with people a bit. You can easily fit 2-4 lifters on one platform, just rotate them through the exercises!!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Damien Archambault

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hollister View Post
So my R3 is coming on Friday and I'm going to have a lifting platform on either side of it to accommodate two lifters. I can fit two 8x8 platforms in the space but I'm wondering how necessary that will be? How important is the extra two feet? I've haven't lifted on platforms at all really, so I don't know.
Were you planing on attaching the rack to the platform? Assuming so, If the rack is centered on a 16x8 plat form, that would give you 6'9" at each end to be used for as a plate form. Thats a nice area that could be used for deadlifts, WODS and mobility work. I have my r-3 set up on a 8x8. The plat form is against the wall with 13" of space from the rack to wall then 4'5" of platform for me to do most any excercises that I want to do. However, I have been thinking about adding an extra bit of length since the mats I have 4x5 and I wouldn.t mind a little extra room.

As far as width, 8' is perfect as I would not go any narrower. When you figure that plywood or cdx comes 8x4, you would have to rip it to make 6' any way making for some waste. If my assumptions are correct and you are going for 8x16 then you will want get 8 3/4" sheets(making a two layer plat form) and lay them out so the first layer is perpendicular to the second layer. then use 1 1/4" deck or dry wall screws to fasten the sheets together.

Before I attached my rack I laid down some some tough 1/8" rubber/ plastic matts that cover the wood. This makes a nice surface that is easily cleaned that protect the wood and yourself. Once you have your rack set up( bolted together but not tight because the bottom will want pinch in narrower than the top dimention if you do) you can mark the holes of the base then pre-drill. Then move the rack onto its spot, lag bolt in, the tighten the pull up bar assembly at the top and your ready to go. Anyhow, thats what I did and could not be happier.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Mike Hollister

Profile:

My plan is to make it in 3 pieces. I'll have the R3 on a separate smaller portion that fits between the two platforms and locks into place. That way it is technically somewhat portable.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

6' x 8' is cramped especially if one side is against a wall. 7' x 8' is workable if space is limited. 8' x 8' is perfect for training. Competitions need 12' x 12' minimum. 4 meters X 4 meters (13'1" square) is the international competition standard.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Cortney Cortes

Profile:

I want to get an R-3 rack, but we are not allowed to bolt anything to the garage floor and we move a lot so we need to be able to move the rack when we move.

Does anyone have a picture of instructions on how to make a platform and then bolt the R-3 rack to it?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Craig Freel

Profile:

Check out Donald Rice's home gym thread and watch the video he posted. He talks about how he bolted his S-1 to his platform, which should work the same as an R-3. Might not be easy to do, but is possible.