CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Stomach Pain, No appetite

I had a flash of this 3 weeks ago now and suddenly last thursday I had it again. Basically what happens is I go to eat something and then I get this flash of heat and start sweating and I suddenly lose all appetite and I feel nauseas if I even think about food. Last time this happened it only lasted a day. So far this time it's been ongoing since last thursday. Sometimes I can get a decent chunk of a meal in but I often times feel nauseas when I think about food and I continually have stomach pain. I went to the Doc and he just gave me Zantac and shoed me away. Hasn't seemed to help too much.

It's not the flu or anything. I have no fever and quite honestly I feel totally fine other than my stomach. It's beginning to concern me because when it first happened I didn't eat for two days. Now I can get small meals in here an there but I know I'm in caloric deficit and its definitely going to affect my training in a more serious way than it already has if it keeps up. Interestingly enough when I get one of those sudden heat flashes it's often accompanied by sudden emotion so I'm thinking it's hormonal. I've never had this before in my life and it all the sudden started happening. Could my Pancreas or Gall Bladder be on the fritz for something? If it keeps up for a few more days I'm gonna head to the Doc again and tell him Zantac isn't doing anything. This is really freakin annoying... I used to enjoy eating now it feels like torture. Fluids seem to go in fine but they don't make it any better, they're just easy to get down.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: Stomach Pain, No appetite

What is your diet like on a day to day basis, did you make any major recent changes to it, and what did you eat last before you had an episode?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
I had a flash of this 3 weeks ago now and suddenly last thursday I had it again. Basically what happens is I go to eat something and then I get this flash of heat and start sweating and I suddenly lose all appetite and I feel nauseas if I even think about food. Last time this happened it only lasted a day. So far this time it's been ongoing since last thursday. Sometimes I can get a decent chunk of a meal in but I often times feel nauseas when I think about food and I continually have stomach pain. I went to the Doc and he just gave me Zantac and shoed me away. Hasn't seemed to help too much.

It's not the flu or anything. I have no fever and quite honestly I feel totally fine other than my stomach. It's beginning to concern me because when it first happened I didn't eat for two days. Now I can get small meals in here an there but I know I'm in caloric deficit and its definitely going to affect my training in a more serious way than it already has if it keeps up. Interestingly enough when I get one of those sudden heat flashes it's often accompanied by sudden emotion so I'm thinking it's hormonal. I've never had this before in my life and it all the sudden started happening. Could my Pancreas or Gall Bladder be on the fritz for something? If it keeps up for a few more days I'm gonna head to the Doc again and tell him Zantac isn't doing anything. This is really freakin annoying... I used to enjoy eating now it feels like torture. Fluids seem to go in fine but they don't make it any better, they're just easy to get down.
What you are describing sounds quite a bit like my own experiences with low blood sugar, are you coming off of a fasted state (or extended period without food) and your meal sets this off?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

When it happened on thursday I was at my parents house for the week as exams had just finished and I was going to bed fairly late and sleeping in a lot. The only thing I changed to my diet was that I drank coffee in the mornings for the couple of days I was there and I had a few of my dads muffins here and there. Honestly nothing I've never done before. I in fact had just done the exact same thing for a longer period of time when I was there over christmas. So for my going to bed time till waking up and having 'breakfast' was probably 12 hours. So that's an intermittent fast right there. Only thing is I do periodically sleep in long like that and it's never done anything like this before. Also, if it was anything like that wouldn't it be gone by now? It's been 5 days now. I can imagine my blood sugar isn't too hot right now since it's been hard to get food in the past while. When it first happened I didn't eat for 2 days after because I just couldn't get anything down but water.