CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
James A Stevens

Profile:
Best Combative Option for the Military

Hi Guys,

I am in the Army Reserve in Australia and have notice we have basically c.r.a.p unarmed combat training, mostly some MMA done in groups of 40 or 60 and very basic. I think because the military in Aus is pretty weapons focused (all the high tech stand off stuff especially) when it comes to combat they totally neglect the fact that hand to hand combat still happens.

Anyways, I am thinking of getting a group together and starting some better training in my unit (it's a recon unit so I think there is a need for better training for soldiers in this area).

So, with that in mind suggestions as to how to train better anybody got any?

Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Best Combative Option for the Military

Krav Maga ftw. I'm into MMA myself, but for real-life purposes, Krav Maga would probably be ideal.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Krav Maga ftw. I'm into MMA myself, but for real-life purposes, Krav Maga would probably be ideal.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Krav Maga for striking, I agree. Also you might want to canvass your unit for any practicioners of Jiu Jitsu (useful especially if your opponent is wearing body armor and strikes aren't gonna work and for ground work) or ne waza or groundfighting specific Judo.

Kali/Escrima are also quite useful for blade (especially in jungle warfare where you're liable to have a machete to hand) and stick (batons for policing duties anyone?).

Some aikido or joint lock techniques are useful for detainee/prisoner transport/handling. Look through your formation for experts or practicioners in any of these arts - they do exist. And if they are practicioners they could even put you into contact with their teachers...
Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
John Corona

Profile:

Check out Joe Son Do.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
James A Stevens

Profile:

Looks like it's going to be Krav maga mainly cause we have found some trainers who will work in with our schedules. But various other suggestions have been taken on board, I reckon I should be able to find some guys that have done various Martial Arts to supplement our Krav Maga training.

Thanks for you input guys, greatly appreciated!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Always glad to aid a fellow trooper (or squaddie if Australians use the same slang British troops use). Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
James A Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Always glad to aid a fellow trooper (or squaddie if Australians use the same slang British troops use). Let us know how it turns out.
Greatly appreciated, we are troopers in the Aus army in the Calvary units (lot are a Lift Calvary Scout outfit), we like to differentiate ourselves from our colonial past mostly.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Carl Amolat

Profile:

We're callled Troopers in US Army Cavalry formations as well. BTW you're not with the Australian 10th Light Horse (a formation I've heard of) by any chance are you?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

hey buddy,
if your looking for KM drop us a private msg if you havent found a school and ill shoot you off a list of all the certified schools.

Cheers
Jake