CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: kg vs. lbs? G2S Kilo Bumpers (IWF colors) vs. Rogue Hi-Temps, etc...

Do you know why illegal drug deals are done in kilos and grams? It's because the barely-functioning brains of stoned drug dealers make fewer errors with their product when all the weight measurements are in nice round numbers.

Think about that the next time a hypoxic athlete who can barely stand never mind think has to load the bar with the correct weight!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
Timothy Gilday

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Strong thoughts, yes.

Kilo weight come in nice, round numbers. The international standard for color coding is also for kilos - green means 1x, yellow means 15x, blue means 2x, red means 25x, white means 5x. This means that a gym that uses color coded weights in kilos has much much much fewer misloads.

Pound plates come in a bizarre mix of kilo and pounds anyway so even if you want to by pounds you're going to get kilos, i.e. 45 lb. bars and plates are really just relabeled 20 kilo bars and plates. So why not just go all metric?

The very best equipment comes in kilos, because that's the international standard. Once you start buying bars and plates in pounds, you'll find it financially impossible to ever upgrade to kilos.

Oly meets are in kilos, as are almost all international powerlifting meets (even though they report the results in pounds the the weights are in increments of 2.5 kilos. For example, Shane Hamman's 1,008.61 lb. squat was really a 457.5kg. squat) Lifters who want to dabble in competing get totally thrown off by the kilo weights come meet day.

If you are used to lifting in kilos at home you'll have little trouble converting your prs to pounds. Double the number and add 10 percent. Easy, you can do that in your head. If you only know your prs in pounds, you'll need a calculator to figure out how much that is in kilos.
It makes complete sense so why are CrossFit WODs listed in pounds? Do they use kg or lb at the CF Games?

I think I'll ask the same thing in the affiliate zone as well. How many of them use which one?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I mis-loaded my friends bar. When he began benching, one side dropped pretty quickly. I was confused and started looking at form issues and what not. Then I realized that I put a 45 lbs instead of a 25 lbs. That might have been the reason
Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
James Orr

Profile:

My G2 bumpers came with a bunch of gouges, but the company replaced them free and without question. They didn't exactly ship without hassle (I had to remind them twice), but in the long run, they replaced them free of charge. They held up to garage/concrete use just fine. I sold them a month ago to get through the month, but we're planning to order some Hi-Temps from Rogue this weekend.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #15
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
so why are CrossFit WODs listed in pounds?
An unfortunate concession to the U.S. market that puts a bit of a chill in international expansion, IMHO. There was once an opportunity to easily differentiate Crossfit from the big boxes by being progressive in that way, but that moment is gone now. Once you go pounds, you'll never [be able to afford to] go back.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #16
Timothy Gilday

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
An unfortunate concession to the U.S. market that puts a bit of a chill in international expansion, IMHO. There was once an opportunity to easily differentiate Crossfit from the big boxes by being progressive in that way, but that moment is gone now. Once you go pounds, you'll never [be able to afford to] go back.

It's true. It is much easier to add on than change out completely at some point. I like the idea of staying close to IWF colors and measurements but I would also like to mirror CF. Personally I like colored bumpers, period.

However, at our affiliate, the Rogue Hi-Temps have held up the best and the 15s and 10s get alot of bar use by themselves and they hold up because of their width. Using technique plates on the affiliate level could get expensive but it seems like the best or only way if you are using the MHTY style bumpers and need the smaller denominations for beginners and older CF'ers.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #17
Timothy Gilday

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
My G2 bumpers came with a bunch of gouges, but the company replaced them free and without question. They didn't exactly ship without hassle (I had to remind them twice), but in the long run, they replaced them free of charge. They held up to garage/concrete use just fine. I sold them a month ago to get through the month, but we're planning to order some Hi-Temps from Rogue this weekend.
Yep, from what I've read, G2S doesn't have a Sorin, Henniger or Pendlay backing them up with quality cutomer service. Are you going with the kilo or lb Rogue's?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #18
James Orr

Profile:

I'm going with lbs. I was always converting kilos to lbs. in my mind anyway and thought of my green, for example, as 25 lbs.