CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #11
Brian Negrotto

Profile:
Re: Strikeforce "Nashville" predictions

That ended in a complete abortion.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:23 AM   #12
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Actually I picked grappling as the decising factor in this card. Jake's grappling would neutralize & control (and possibly finish) Henderson, and Melendez BJJ would overcome Aoki JJJ.

Jake & Melendes may have started their combat sport career as wrestlers, but as MMA fighters they have trained under Cesar Garcie for years, Jake being a black belt. Henderson is a wrestler, Jake is a grappler, and Melendez is from a grappling camp
However Gil used is wrestling and sprawl to neutralize Aoki, not his BJJ. Aoki looked like a deer in headlights with out being able to get a takedown. Why did you pick MO over Gegard?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

[quote=Celio Silva;770689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
What a terrible terrible night. Let's never speak of it again. QUOTE]

I thought every fight sucked and the whole night was a completely boring abortion. Well the Shields fight was decent, but then we had the thug life ending that left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
Everything else was awful. Aoki looked completely lost not being able to get the fight to the ground and just got slowly picked apart for 5 rounds in a snooze-fest and King Mo gassing after one round and laying on Mousasi was not entertaining either.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #14
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

The referee time-out and warning during Melendez v. Aoki was just bizarre. Melendez looked like he may have ended it there had the ref not intervened. I have no idea what he was thinking. The ref changed the fight dynamic too. You could tell that Melendez was tentative about hitting Aoki on the ground after that.

Last edited by Ned Ferguson : 04-18-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Reminded me of the WWF. Entrances with pyrotechics, a rumble at the end? How much was staged? Poor use of time by me.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
However Gil used is wrestling and sprawl to neutralize Aoki, not his BJJ. Aoki looked like a deer in headlights with out being able to get a takedown. Why did you pick MO over Gegard?
Yeah, but the only threat that Aoki suposely posed to Gil was a submission, so that's why I knew it would come down to grappling because even in the case Aoki got a hold of Gil, which I didn't see happening, Gil would have been just fine, as he proved by willingly going in and out of Aoki's guard & pounding him in the face without having ever faced the threat of a submission. There was just no way that a guy like Melendez, who for years trains under Cesar Gracie and rolls with Shields & the Diaz brothers everyday, was going to be submitted by Aoki! I am surprised Aoki survived, but he can thank Mazzagatti for that...

I picked Mo because I knew he was going to be a bad match up for Moussasi. Leading up to the fight you could see Mo's confidence; he had absolutely no doubt that he was gonna beat Moussasi. Mo is a he!! of an athlete, and I knew he was gonna come at Moussasi like no one did before, and that Moussasi wasn't gonna be able to respond to him.

I am just really happy for Jake! They guy deserves it all, and the "experts" of the MMA world deserve to look like the fools that they are for writing him off so easily with no respect whatsoever...

Overall it was a great night, minus the very unfortunate incident in the end which I didn't see and still haven't seen.

Last night 6 of the very top fighters in the world fought consecutively, for 25 minutes each, and people want to complain about the fight card.

I can't stand such a lack of appreciation for the sport and the atheletes! Such inconsideration comes mostly from people who have never fought themselves, have no understanding of the sport, or both. Whether be elitists "expert" writers from Sherdog who have never sparred in their entire life or "casual fans" who think they know $#!t because they roll at a dojo, most people lack the proper respect & appreciation this sport demands.

These athletes go out there, put it ALL on the line, while people sitting on their a$$ want to criticize their performances....
Old 04-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
Joel Chapman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
The referee time-out and warning during Melendez v. Aoki was just bizarre. Melendez looked like he may have ended it there had the ref not intervened. I have no idea what he was thinking. The ref changed the fight dynamic too. You could tell that Melendez was tentative about hitting Aoki on the ground after that.
Aoki was doing his "boot scoot" and the ref was behind Melendez, Melendez was facing Aoki. The ref came in to stand up Aoki, but was behind Melendez, so only Aoki saw him coming in. Just as this was happening behind Melendez's back, Melendez struck Aoki.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
Joel Chapman

Profile:

[quote=Jason R O'Dell;770710]
Quote:

I thought every fight sucked and the whole night was a completely boring abortion. Well the Shields fight was decent, but then we had the thug life ending that left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
Everything else was awful. Aoki looked completely lost not being able to get the fight to the ground and just got slowly picked apart for 5 rounds in a snooze-fest and King Mo gassing after one round and laying on Mousasi was not entertaining either.
So you think Mo gassed and just layed on Mousasi? What about Mousasi laying in guard for 25 minutes? He didn't do anything.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #19
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Chapman View Post
Aoki was doing his "boot scoot" and the ref was behind Melendez, Melendez was facing Aoki. The ref came in to stand up Aoki, but was behind Melendez, so only Aoki saw him coming in. Just as this was happening behind Melendez's back, Melendez struck Aoki.
Mario Yamasaki was the ref in charge (not Mazagatti). Yamasaki was not behind Melendez at all. Watch it on DVR if you have it. Yamasaki is walking beside the fighters passing both fighters as Melendez moves in. The ref did not make the slightest move toward the fighters until after Melendez moved in and struck Aoki. Yamasaki may have intended to stand them up, but he didn't telegraph it very well. Very sloppy.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #20
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:

I can't stand such a lack of appreciation for the sport and the atheletes! Such inconsideration comes mostly from people who have never fought themselves, have no understanding of the sport, or both. Whether be elitists "expert" writers from Sherdog who have never sparred in their entire life or "casual fans" who think they know $#!t because they roll at a dojo, most people lack the proper respect & appreciation this sport demands.

These athletes go out there, put it ALL on the line, while people sitting on their a$$ want to criticize their performances....
I hate this argument for any sport. If you're not entertained then you're not entertained. That simple.