CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Cait Connors

Profile:
Less than a month in

and I've been sure since the first day that this is EXACTLY what I've been looking for for years.

I'm 27 years old, living in London and weaning myself off of sedentary academic desk jobs. I've been higher bodyfat than I'd like my whole life, although I've looked decent in clothing for most of it. I doubt I've been below around 26% bodyfat my whole life, and at peak was probably over 30%. At 5'6 I'm having a hard time remembering being under 130lbs, although I probably was some time around 2000 and never since. At peak I've been about 148 or so. Right now I'm at 139 and going down.

I found John Stone Fitness and got into bodybuilding a few years ago, and over time learned a great deal about health and nutrition and cleaned my diet up. I cut out most processed foods years ago, cut way back on breads and carbs, don't eat many sweets. I fall off the wagon on alcohol and weekend calorie counting, mostly, and if you're off that wagon for too long it becomes a general free for all.

The thing is, after a couple of weeks at any new fitness program I'm already tiring of it and trying to teach myself the value of dedication and persistence. A couple of weeks into crossfit and I'm gagging for more. The variety, the intensity, the comraderie, the strength orientation... it took until I was around 25 to get the importance of lifting heavy things and eating right, and I wish I'd figured out the crossfit approach then too. I'd be in wicked shape! As is, I'm just really excited about going out from here.

No scale movement yet, but I'm getting stronger, love the full body soreness (and the fact it's lessening quickly!), and am already noticing my waist coming back. Exciting stuff. And I've just started locking in the food so am hoping for good progress over the next few months.

I'm tracking my progress here if anyone wants to stop in and say hello - really appreciate the motivation: http://caitfit.blogspot.com/

Thanks crossfitters, loving the forum!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Jean-Francois Audet

Profile:
Re: Less than a month in

Good to have you here, welcome to the forum.

All the hard work we put every day with those WODs will pay off very soon. I already feel better after couple of WODs, my cardio is coming back slowly.

Like you said, dedication is the key. Keep going !
Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Cait Connors

Profile:

Thanks Jean!

In the first few weeks making gains in form is very motivating. A good place to focus til everything else comes into play.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
Caitlin M Connors

Profile:

Freaking awesome. After my weight hovering around 139-140 (or 141 depending on what I'd eaten) since February, in the last week I plunged down to 138 then 137.5 then 136.8. It seems to have taken my body a while to adjust but all of a sudden I am seeing a difference, only about three weeks in. Very cool!

Bodyfat analyzer on the home scale (which may or may not be remotely accurate) is down from 28.8 to 28.4.

And there's a new/old curve to my waist I haven't had for 6 months.

And the dress I wore to my engagement party, which hasn't fit since November, now fits.

Wheee!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Owen Bird

Profile:

Good work. Keep it up!