CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
Donald Rice

Profile:
Talking Re: My Garage Gym (so far)

Thanks, I appreciate it. Now that the weather is warming up, my crew and I have been doing a lot more outdoor workouts. Lately I feel like I keep most of my gym in the trunk of my car. Gotta love picnic table plyo boxes and kettlebells covered in mud.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #22
Lars Brown

Profile:
Re: My Garage Gym (so far)

Donald,

Great work. My wife and I are in the process of finishing our garage and adding a workout area. I'll have a similar setup for my pullup bar.

Side note, how do you use the bulgarian bars and softball grips?

Lars
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #23
Donald Rice

Profile:

That sounds awesome, be sure to post some pics when you get it up and running. As for the softball grips, I use them just for static hangs and pullups (Great for grip strength). I absolutely love the bulagian bags. I have one that is 35lbs and one that is 55lbs. I have pretty much outgrown the 35 lb bag for big movements, but I still use it occasionally for getting loose and light shoulder work. I also use it for abdominal work (GHDs while holding it behind your neck). The 55 lb bag is perfect for "around the world" swings, overhead walking lunges, jump squats (hold it like a front squat), Sandbag cleans, sandbag snatches, and anything else you can come up with. Definetly one of the easiest DIY projects in crossfit. I highly recomend them.
Hope that helps
Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #24
Lars Brown

Profile:

Thanks, I definately will. Softball grip pullups, yikes. I've got a metolius grip trainer that we'll be hanging up. How did you make your sandbags, just sand in a regular sandbag?

For the pullup bar, I'm having trouble finding the fittings that secure the bar to the wall/ceiling. HDepot/Lowes apparently does not carry them. Did you have to go to special plumbing supply store?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #25
Lars Brown

Profile:

I stand corrected, I found the flanges at both those sites. You used standard 1" flanges?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #26
Donald Rice

Profile:

Yeah, I used the one inch flanges. They are a little pricey ($8.00 each), but the project is still significantly cheaper than a stud bar. Also, I used 1 1/4 inch long lag bolts to secure the flanges to the wood (very sturdy).

The softball pull ups definitely take some getting used to. I highly recommend them to anyone involved in grip based sports (like rock climbing). I also have a grip trainer over my door. I have the one made by "wood grips" instead of metrolious. You may also want to look into the rock rings by metrolious, they are great for getting a strong grip along with core strength.

The bulgarian bags are actually made from a tire inner tube which can be bought from any car parts store for roughly $15.00 and metal hose clamps that you can get from home depot or lowes for about $3.00. There is a great instructional video online made by someone much more experienced than me. (Go to Google and type in "Bulgarian Bag") Basically you cut the inner tube and remove a small portion. Then fill with sand to the desired weight and clamp the ends leaving about five inches of slack. Duct tape over the clamps and slack to make handles and you are in business. If you want to fill the inner tube with more than 45-50 lbs. of sand, I would recommend inflating it first to stretch it out a bit. It took me about twenty minutes to make two of them and they are stronger than any sandbag I have used so far.

I will post some pics of my latest DIY project which simulates GHD sit ups soon.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #27
Timothy Shen

Profile:

Great post with lots of valuable info for anyone interested in starting their own home gym - thanks!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:21 AM   #28
Bobby Smith

Profile:
Post Re: My Garage Gym (so far)

Could you explain to me alittle more about how you reinforced your ceiling for the rings and pullup station. I am getting ready to buy some rings and only have 2x4 rafters.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #29
Donald Rice

Profile:

Sure thing. I went into the attic and measured out the distance between the rafters (20 to 22 inches). I cut 2 x 6 boards to fit snugly between the rafters. I then went back into the attic and laid the boards between the rafters flat against the drywall. I secured them in place with 2 inch wood screws. I then went back into the garage and secured a second 2 x 6 board directly in line with the ones in the attic with large lag bolts. This essentially sandwiched the drywall between the two boards. I hope thats clear. If not then just let me know.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #30
James White

Profile:

Donald,

Very impressive!!! (save the FSU decor, LOL)

I'm kinda cheap and ghetto for now (four kids with one income will do that to ya). You asked about wall ball... I'm scouting my local Craigslist for an old portable basketball goal. My plan is to remove the hoop completely, so I just have the backboard, and keep it on the side of my house until I need it. I'll just "wall-ball" in the driveway. I dunno if that's an acceptable solution to you, but I think it'll work great for me, for now. Keep posting pics, man. It's MOTIVATING!