CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
Casey Crookston

Profile:
Marathon #1 was all LSD. Marathon # 2 will be all CF and CFE

Greetings!

Earlier this month I completed my first marathon... Twin Cities, and it was an incredible accomplishment. What a great feeling to cross that finish line!

I am 39 years old and when I started training I weighed 250 pounds (most of it NOT muscle) and had very high blood pressure. When I got married at 25, I weighed 190 and was in great shape, but over the years, the pounds have slowly been creeping up on me. The main reason I wanted to do the marathon was because I needed a goal that was physically challenging to get me back in shape, and I also wanted to do something that would give me a very real sense of accomplishment.

When I made this decision back in March, I looked over a lot of training plans (had never heard of CF or CFE at the time) and picked a 24 week long, slow building LSD program. As far as LSD programs go, it was just what I needed. Along the way I dealt with a few minor injuries, but nothing that was a show stopper. For one week I stopped running and used bikes and elliptical until my foot stopped hurting just under my left ankle on the outside. And, I also must say, in the days leading up to the marathon my right knee was giving me trouble and I was glad we were nearing the end.

On the day of the marathon I weighed in at 250 lbs. Yep, that's right. I didn't loose a single pound even though I had jogged over 500 miles to train for the marathon. That being said, my pants all fit a lot looser (to the tune of two inches or more) and my blood pressure had dropped well into the safe zone. But I was still baffled at why I had not lost any weight.

I had followed the diet program that my training program suggested: lots of carbs from starches, grains and fruits, especially just before the long weekend runs. At the time I had only briefly heard of Zone but had not looked into it, and I'd never heard of Paleo.

I finished the marathon in a whopping 6 hours and 4 minutes. Nothing to brag about, to be sure. But my only goal had been to cross the finish line, period.

Leading up to the big day, I was pretty sure this marathon stuff would be one time and out thing for me, but as soon as I crossed that finish line I knew there would be more. My next will be Grandma's in June.

While I was training for Twin Cities, my brother, my mom and a good friend started dropping not so subtle hints about Crossfit. For a while I ignored them, but towards the very end when I was not losing any weight any my long runs were not getting any faster, I started to wonder. I was not about to swap out my training program just a few weeks away from the marathon, so I stuck with the LSD program. But as soon as the day was over, I sat down and started to digest the Crossfit web site, and I looked in particular for evidence that it could help me train better for the next marathon.

I found and read every thread in this forum about marathon training and learned a ton. THANK YOU to everyone who has offered so much valuable insight. It's been great. I have more research to do, but I can tell you that my second marathon training program will look VERY different then my first, hopefully with better results all around.

It took me a good three days after the marathon to recover, and even a few more days before I stopped feeling it all together. But the Monday following I took up CS and Zone and have been faithful every day. "Tabata Something Else" from Tuesday followed by all the sit ups and squats the next day still has me pretty darn sore (and grateful for the rest day) but I'm loving it!

My goal right now is to keep doing CF/Zone all winter long and then start doing CF + CFE about 2-3 months before Grandma's. I also need to get the book "Paleo for Athletes" and follow it as well. Hopefully by then I will weigh a lot less and be a lot stronger over all. One of the things I noticed on the long runs and during the marathon is how tired and heavy my arms, neck and upper body would get, and I knew it was because I need more overall upper body strength. Being week on top slowed me down.

Following the advice on this forum of people who have done this, I think I'll still do some longer Saturday runs as well, starting about eight weeks out topping out maybe around 16 or 18 miles, just to get my head used to the idea and to get my pacing down. But GONE will be the short weekday runs of 4 - 6 miles, and GONE will be the 24 weeks of long Saturday runs.

In the mean time, any advice, tips or pointers anyone has on how to blend CF and CFE in the months before a marathon are welcome and invited.

Thanks again!

Casey

Last edited by Casey Crookston : 10-22-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Casey Crooks

Profile:
Re: Marathon #1 was all LSD. Marathon # 2 will be all CF and CFE

Props on your name!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Justin McGinley

Profile:

It sounds as though you know what to do. Eat paleo, follow CF as closely as you can, and supplement with some CFE workouts. Congrats on the first marathon. That is an amazing feat and something to always be proud of. Sadly (as you've already seen) LSD training isn't a very effective way to loose weight. Most weight loss happens in the kitchen.

Are you training at an affiliate?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

I have run three marathons (2 Boston, 1 Chicago.) Each marathon my time gets better and better. Each marathon I run less and less. Each marathon I train more and more CF style. I'm convinced.

Boston 2008- 4 months LSD training: 4:47
Boston 2009- 3 Months CF, 1 month LSD: 4:37
Chicago 2009- Ran at most, a 9 mile long run. Training was a bit spotty, but all CF. Mostly short metcons, some heavy lifting tossed in: 4:29

I would like to note that I DO have a running background with 9 or so seasons under my belt from high school, but I was a sprinter! Go Figure.

Congrats on your first finish, and good luck on your next one(s)!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post
Are you training at an affiliate?
Justin, (if you are Justin... noticed you tended to log in as Justin when you were really someone else ...)

I wish there was an affiliate somewhere close by, but the nearest one is 1.5 hours away. So I spend lots of time reading the web site and watching the videos before doing the wod's. I do them in my garage when I have the equipment, and if not I go around the corner to a traditional gym. A certified coach would be nice.

If I had more time and some spare cash I might think about getting certified and opening my own affiliate, but, I don't. And I'm not sure the small market I'm in would support it.

Thanks for the congrats!

Hey Casey Crooks... is that really your last name, or do we share the same name?

Casey
Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moriconi View Post
I have run three marathons (2 Boston, 1 Chicago.) Each marathon my time gets better and better. Each marathon I run less and less. Each marathon I train more and more CF style. I'm convinced.
Denis, that's amazing, and is so contrary to all of the traditional LSD advice about training. But your posts in the other threads were a big part of convincing me that CF and CFE are a better training program.

Thanks!

Casey
Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Christian Groenveld

Profile:

First of all, congrats on sticking through your training and finishing the marathon. Second, I'm glad you found crossfit & CFE!

I'm not a trainer and can only offer my opinion and what little experience I have, but I think the CF/CFE is the best way to prepare for your next marathon. Definitely keep up with the CF daily WOD's. Maybe someone can provide more information, but there doesn't seem to be any programming w/ CFE when it comes to training for an event, so I'm not sure how you would know how much CFE is enough. Three months of CF/CFE training seems like enough to be prepared, but it is a lot of work. I would suggest slowly building up to the suggested 3x's/week CFE WOD's. CF 5-6 times a week plus CFE 3 times a week is a lot and you may overtrain quickly, so that is why I suggest building up slowly…maybe one CFE WOD/week 4-6 months out from the event, building up to 3x's week at 2-3 months out.

I have run two marathons, one before finding CF and one after. The one after was much easier to train for, to run, and to recover from using CF & CFE. I started CF April '08 and for some unknown reason was doing the Navy SEAL wod's, which then included a lot more running, so I was logging about 6-7 miles a week just through CF. So my base endurance was pretty good to start with when I began training for the marathon, which late July '08. I was slow to learn, but started training with only CF & CFE in September '09 for a mid November marathon. At that time, I jumped right into 4 CFE WOD's/week. Even after all the running I was doing up to that point, I was totally burned out for the first three weeks and had all symptoms of overtraining. So my point is, even though the combination of CF & CFE will prepare you for the marathon and you will run less w/ CFE, it is still intense and not something to jump right into, so try and build up to multiple CFE WOD's/week. Best of luck!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Great job on the training. One thing though, I don't think the long runs are supposed to get faster on a typical LSD training program. I also don't think marathon training is designed for weight loss.

Good luck with the CFE and keep us posted.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Casey Crooks

Profile:

This is my name. Just thought it was odd they are so close. And congrats on your run!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Thanks Christian. All very good to know. For your second marathon did you do any long runs?