CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:
New member of crossfit saying hello.

Hello, my name is Alec
Little about myself
M/14/5' 8.5"/140lbs
I am 14 years old and in ok shape, not fit by any definition. Recently I was introduced to Crossfit while I was at Boyscout camp by one of my friends in the troop. He showed me some of the crossfit workouts he does for track and field and he got me hooked.
That was July 26th (last day of camp) and since then I have worked out almost every day,except rest days, and have just started a Paleo diet (today is day 5 of me being strict about, it no bread or milk) and have already seen improvement.

My Goals in the following months are:
Be able to do 30 consecutive pullups; can do about 8 straight without stopping.
Have a sub 5:30 mile run; at 6:26
Lose the fat around my thighs, and waist
Be able to lift 100+ ( I have never lifted because I do not have the materials. 100lbs seems like a good goal I may be wrong)

Questions;
Currently I cannot do workouts that require weights, a rope, or rings. Coming this September I am starting high school, do you recommend I do some crossfit WOD at the school gym, or should I save my money and get a gym membership?
Are my goals reasonable and what changes do you think I should make

Also I am going to be keeping a log of my workouts for personal fitness merit badge for 3 months. Also I am going to stay on a paleo diet for this time and will post the results when I finish.

Thanks in advance,
Alec Kellish
Old 08-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Beth Eternick

Profile:
Re: New member of crossfit saying hello.

Welcome!!
Just thought to say hi - although I'd like to add, with your frame and age, I'd say lifting 100 lbs. would depend on the type of lift. Once you have basic form down, I'd guesstimate you'd deadlift that fairly quickly - but another lift, a press for example, might be a little bit behind. ^_^

As for a school gym vs. a 'globo' - I'd for certain take advantage of the FREE option if you're only worried about lifting days; many WODs are equally awkward in a globo or another 'traditional' gym. I'd say give it a few months and feel your way around the school first, and consider going to an affiliate sometime for a "ramp up" style course- they seem to be cheaper than a regular monthly price tag, and you'll still get initial coaching in the lifts. After that, you'd have a better and clearer idea of what all your options may be.

Enjoy!!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

awesome thanks! Ill try to talk my one of my parents to taking me to a affiliate. As I'm guessing a "globo" gym is a non crossfit gym?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Have you considered doing a Starting Strength cycle for at least a few weeks?
You should get the book, it's called Starting Strength 2nd edition by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore to learn how to do the main barbell lifts correctly.
Having never lifted before, the program will get you fairly strong, relatively quickly, but more importantly, build up technique and after that you can dive straight into Crossfit.

The program is outlined here:
http://****************.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs (wfs)

I recommend you finish the linear progression, since at 140/5'9", you could easily put about 30-40lb of muscle on your frame before starting Crossfit. This functional mass will make you a better Crossfitter long term as well.

Having never lifted more than 100lb, it wouldn't make much sense to scale something like 275lb or 315lb deadlifts to 135 or even 95, especially if technique is shaky. You could probably add to your pull up numbers while doing SS (maybe not 30: doing 30 full range deadhang pull ups with elbows straight at the bottom is quite difficult, 15 is more realistic short term), and a 6:30 mile will be a relatively easy once you get back to Crossfit. I ran a 5:50 a few months ago, doing no running whatsoever. It's good you've discovered this stuff at 14, you can do a linear strength progression, get really strong, really quickly and then become a Crossfit monster by the time you are in your 20s. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Beth Eternick

Profile:

Some people use 'globo' as a non-CF gym, but I don't believe it's fair or accurate. Mostly just chain gyms - the type you might find in a strip mall, even - although there are a fair number of YMCA's and other gyms that also hold CF classes.

And I'd second the suggestion of SS (Starting Strength) - I haven't gotten it myself, but I hear that the progressions are very VERY functional, and logical, and that the movement descriptions and depictions are about as good as you might get without either video or personal coaching. I've been going to an affiliate regularly for the past few months, and I'm still thinking of getting the book for myself, just to have as an extra handy-dandy reference. ^_^

If you choose not to go the SS route - which is, btw, entirely your prerogative - it's still possible to make excellent lifting gains as a newbie CF'er, even likely. Newer lifters have a great potential to make "beginner gains" in their lift numbers, just from a bit of practice, confidence, and learning the proper form and technique. The first time I tried to deadlift, for example, I believe was in February or March - (OH how I wish I'd kept a better log! Keep that in mind!!) and I maxed out at 90 lbs. A couple of months with regular CrossFitting (3/1/2/1 schedule) and I just made a PR 1-rep deadlift the other week, at 95 *kilograms*. So no worries that you won't improve strength on a straight CF program; SS may get you stronger faster, but you won't have the same activity level for cardio-type endurance or met-cons. *shrug*

It all depends on your specific goals.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Have you considered doing a Starting Strength cycle for at least a few weeks?
You should get the book, it's called Starting Strength 2nd edition by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore to learn how to do the main barbell lifts correctly.
Having never lifted before, the program will get you fairly strong, relatively quickly, but more importantly, build up technique and after that you can dive straight into Crossfit.

The program is outlined here:
http://****************.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs (wfs)

I recommend you finish the linear progression, since at 140/5'9", you could easily put about 30-40lb of muscle on your frame before starting Crossfit. This functional mass will make you a better Crossfitter long term as well.

Having never lifted more than 100lb, it wouldn't make much sense to scale something like 275lb or 315lb deadlifts to 135 or even 95, especially if technique is shaky. You could probably add to your pull up numbers while doing SS (maybe not 30: doing 30 full range deadhang pull ups with elbows straight at the bottom is quite difficult, 15 is more realistic short term), and a 6:30 mile will be a relatively easy once you get back to Crossfit. I ran a 5:50 a few months ago, doing no running whatsoever. It's good you've discovered this stuff at 14, you can do a linear strength progression, get really strong, really quickly and then become a Crossfit monster by the time you are in your 20s. Good luck.
Wow sounds great. I will definetly try it once I have access to weights, thanks for the tip. But have to stick to regular crossfit for now until I gain access to that.
But I will still look into it
Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 AM   #7
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

er also advice for where I can get the book? just check barnesandnoble.com and they don't have it in stock.
Also what should be the starting weight for my squats dead lifts and bench presses (once i start), or is that something I will need to figure on my own

Last edited by Alec Sean Kellish : 08-06-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #8
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Sean Kellsh View Post
er also advice for where I can get the book? just check barnesandnoble.com and they don't have it in stock.
Also what should be the starting weight for my squats dead lifts and bench presses (once i start), or is that something I will need to figure on my own
Start with a broomstick, then just the bar (45lbs) and work up from there.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

ok thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
Michael Travis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Sean Kellsh View Post
check amazon, thats where i got mine... good luck bro, wish I had started fitness when I was 14...