CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #21
Jason David

Profile:
Re: Steroids or DesSTROID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lanza View Post
The whole steroids debate is pretty comical, when you think about it. Imagine for a minute a hallucinatory drug that allows a Hollywood actor to better become his movie role and, thus allows him to reap financial rewards and accolades among peers and admirers. This drug, however, has potential health consequences but he eschews the warnings in search of greater fame and wealth. Would it be wise for an average Joe to also take this drug simply to better his performance while playing charades once a week with the neighbors? Of course not.

The same goes for steroids. Professional athletes have a financial stake in their own physical performance, and have to weigh the potential health issues against this monetary need. Steroid use by a CFer whose motivation is to achieve a 2-minute Fran or a 1000 CFT seems completely ridiculous.

Seriously, just look for ways to naturally increase your growth factor, endocrine response, etc. It's certainly more work, but it's safer, more rewarding and is laden with common sense.

Please don't do 'em.
Great post!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #22
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Murphy View Post
Are you saying that professional athletes that use steroids are motivated by a bigger pay check? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Isn't that why most do it?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #23
George Noble

Profile:

Most people who do it are not pro athletes.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #24
Davis Murphy

Profile:

I could be way off base here, but I was always under the impression that professional athletes used performance enhancing drugs more in order to perform better, be the best, win more, etc...

Of course, a bigger paycheck will come as a added benefit to better performance, but I think the primary motivation is the desire to win. There are some professional athletes that are motivated more by income than desire to play their sport and win, but I would venture a guess that they are a minority.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #25
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
I could be way off base here, but I was always under the impression that professional athletes used performance enhancing drugs more in order to perform better, be the best, win more, etc...

Of course, a bigger paycheck will come as a added benefit to better performance, but I think the primary motivation is the desire to win. There are some professional athletes that are motivated more by income than desire to play their sport and win, but I would venture a guess that they are a minority.
They do but the majority of users are of recreational type; your regular meathead at the gym who has some sort of deep-rooted insecurity and just needs to impress the world with his 20inch guns and thin/frail legs.

I don't blame athletes, if their livelihood/supporting their family depends on winning/making money, who knows what that kind of situation does to a person. I am not gonna be self-righteous and claim that my morals are so much better than theirs because I am in a different situation.

But if there is no financial/physical motivation to take them, and it boils down to a person being obsessed about looks, then I would suggest therapy.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #26
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:

For professional athletes, money is one of the ways you keep score. At that level, I don't think its possible to disentangle desire for money and desire for performance.

Katherine
Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #27
Kevin Cox

Profile:

Quote:

I have to disagree with this. Most pro athletes in the big four are chasing pay days not championships.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #28
Mark Lanza

Profile:

Quote:
Are you saying that professional athletes that use steroids are motivated by a bigger pay check? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Davis ~
The wording was "they have a financial stake in their own physical performance," and they surely do since it's their livelihood. How did you read this sentence and paraphrase it as "professional athletes that use steroids are motivated by a bigger pay check?"

Maybe they choose to do steroids simply to keep their jobs due to concerns of recurring injuries, competition or an aging body. No doubt, there are a myriad of reasons why people (pro and amateur) choose to use them, and to borrow a line from Katherine (who always seems to weigh in with good posts), it's how everyone keeps score (money, championships, strength, size, power, etc).

Last edited by Mark Lanza : 07-28-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #29
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Dave Tate says the issue of drugs in elite level sports is an irrelevance, as everyone is on something, but this comes with the clarification that most of these people would have risen to the highest levels ANYWAY on genetics and talent alone, but have been wise in the timing of WHEN they chose drugs to enhance/prolong performance at that level.
The problem, according to Mr Tate, is when high school kids start injecting steroids in the quest for bigger biceps, and when mediocre sporting talents begin using in the hope that somehow, like Roger Ramjet's proton energy pills, they will be elevated to the upper echelons of 'bigger, faster, stronger' overnight.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #30
Mark Lanza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Shipley View Post
Dave Tate says the issue of drugs in elite level sports is an irrelevance, as everyone is on something, but this comes with the clarification that most of these people would have risen to the highest levels ANYWAY on genetics and talent alone, but have been wise in the timing of WHEN they chose drugs to enhance/prolong performance at that level.
The problem, according to Mr Tate, is when high school kids start injecting steroids in the quest for bigger biceps, and when mediocre sporting talents begin using in the hope that somehow, like Roger Ramjet's proton energy pills, they will be elevated to the upper echelons of 'bigger, faster, stronger' overnight.
For many decades, American society has been blamed for perpetrating on American women via the media the unattainable body, complexion, lifestyle, etc. This, obviously, leads to issues of self-esteem, which results in plastic surgery, fad diets and a host of expensive and unnecessary behaviors.

In turn, the "elite" athletes who use artificial performance enhancers are not without their victims as well, for they too portray a physique unattainable without external chemicals. Not unhealthy for adult and young men? Do a Google search on the "Adonis Complex" and/or "Muscle Dysmorphia" and see for yourself.

So the problem isn't the "when," as cited by Tate. It's simply a problem.