CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Brian Dolan

Profile:
Swordfighting...Are there classes offered anywhere?

I have a Celtic Broadsword (NOT a Claymore) and would love to learn to use it properly. Are their people out there that teach that type of fighting style?

Mamybe a Ren. Fest or something...How cool would it be to have the skills and ability of wielding a true broadsword competently.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Rich Borgatti

Profile:
Re: Swordfighting...Are there classes offered anywhere?

The only one I know of is in Massachusetts at the Higgin's Armory Museum:
http://www.higginssword.org/ (WFS)

Maybe some of the links on their site will help.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Find an SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) chapter near you. SCA's fighting style isn't hugely realistic, but the SCA people will either be or know the sword experts in your area.

Katherine
Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Chris Lampe

Profile:

There are many groups out there that are working to create historical sword styles from fight manuals left by the masters. These manuals all date from approximately the 13th or 14th century and onward so earlier fighting styles (such as appropriate for your Celtic sword) are simply unknown. However, there have been plenty of people using what is known about fighting styles in the 13th and 14th centuries to speculate on the styles used in earlier centuries. Probably a system call "I.33" would be the closest approximation for you. It's the earliest known system and it's sword and shield, the same weapons set used by the Celts.

These groups are generally categorized as "Western Martial Arts" if you want to do an internet search.

Also, be very careful with that sword. Many "swords" are simply "sword-like objects" or "wall-hangers". It could be very dangerous to use it for anything other than decoration.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Greg Gagnon

Profile:

I would second the recommendation that you check out the SCA, and the comment that the fighting style is generally ahistorical and sport oriented. There are many groups that are more historically oriented under the category of Western Martial Arts (WMA), as noted. The advantage to checking on the SCA is that it is an international group with a large number of local chapters, giving it a better geographic coverage than the more specialized WMA groups.

SCA general site
http://www.sca.org

Kingdom of Trimaris web site (large geographic group for Florida)
http://www.trimaris.org/

Feel free to PM me. I am looking for more SCAdian CFers.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Brian Dolan

Profile:

Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to get in touch with the local SCA Chapter...
Old 06-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

FOR WMA, your best bet is to look up http://arma.org (w/f safe ). They were once known as HACA and they are a lot closer to actual WMA than most SCA tend to be though some SCA'rs actually train in WMA rather than just stick fighting with their boffers.

Another possible forum to look through is http://www.swordforum.com, http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi which is more of a sword buyer's enthusiast forum, and http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/index.php which leans more towards western swords. These are all w/f safe.

Some Renaissance faires actually have groups that train WMA. There is one in Sacramento that does traditional fencing as well as WMA and another around the SJ so it's out there. It's much like JSA of 30 years ago where you really have to look for it ( though it's much more widespread now besides the BS American JSA systems ).
Old 06-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

You might find it easier to get into classical fencing than broadsword fighting. Of course it's very different, but there are some really handy lessons to be learned from classic fencing that can inform you if you're learning another sword technique at home. (judging distance and timing, point control, good target areas of the body) If there isn't a salle open to classic fencing in your area, the best books I know are by Maestro William Gaugler and Nick Evangelista.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Except that classical fencing doesn't have that much to do with handling a broadsword of any type.

This often is one of the follies of those kendoka who only "play" kendo vs training in at least the iai curriculum or another JSA as striking with a shinai does not nearly have the same dynamics as a bokken or bokuto which still lack the feel of a shinken or iaito/mogito.

A saber is not a broadsword, especially as most celtic broadswords are double edged. I'm thinking his sword is something like a spatha or perhaps before that in the anthromorphic sword forms.

Broadswords are pretty neat. I need to get a nice spatha one of these days.

Pending on the time period and culture and thus the style of armour and weapon, the targets are completely different especially the context of being mounted or on foot or if the sword is merely a civilian sidearm or a battlefield implement.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 AM   #10
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

That's quite true. I would recommend epee instead of saber anyway, for the (small as it is) applicability factor. I was recommending a sport that would be more possible to find on a local level than any sort of broadsword fighting. Probably just as applicable as SCA type fighting anyway, given the mods they do. Plus. Classical fencing is fun and I like recommending it to anyone who digs bladework of any stripe.