CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-28-2002, 12:24 AM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
i'm new to cross fit. i've ben checking out the site for a while now and how finally decided to start training using the crossfit method. i'm just not sure how to do the following exercises and see them a lot in the wod. any help would be greatly appreciated.

tabata squat
power clean
hang clean

just in casr you're wondering, i go to the gym regularly and have seen results, but for the most part have gotten bored with my normal routine eventhough i switch it up a lot, and honsetly think that the cross fit method will benefit me more in what i do because the movements mimmic more "real world" situations than simply moving weight on a bar up and down. i'm an ice an alpine climber that recently moved to the east coast to go back to school, and there really aren"t many mountains out here, and it's a haul to get to some nice ice!

i'm very excited to start working out with crossfit and any help/advice on getting started would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
Old 12-28-2002, 07:45 AM   #2
Jeff Arms

Profile:  
Tabata Squat is basically a bodyweight squat done in intervals. Tabata is 20 seconds work followed by 10seconds off x 8, which is 4 min total. Try to average 15-20 squats per interval. Do a search on power clean and hang clean. I am sure you can find these on the internet.http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/pwrclean.htm http://www.biofitness.com/demo33.html Hope these help.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:47 AM   #3
Scott Parker

Profile:
so the tabata squat is just a regular squat done in that sepcific sequence mentioned above? thanks for the info!
Old 12-28-2002, 10:56 AM   #4
Scott Parker

Profile:
i found links for both power cleans and hang cleans and it looks like they are both exactly the same, except for one thing. power cleans start with the bar on the ground and hang cleans start by holding the bar. is this correct?
Old 12-28-2002, 12:43 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Yes, that is it!
Old 12-30-2002, 03:57 PM   #6
Coach

Profile:

Let me clear up some of the terminology confusion I've caused.

Hang: Is starting with the bar at the hip standing straight - full leg and hip extension.

We generally are looking for a hang version in the WOD unless we are doing multiple/high rep C&J or Snatch and then we go to floor every rep. The hang variety focuses on the more challenging aspect of the lift and reduces cycling time increasing intensity.

"Power" and "Squat" indicate another distinction.
Power Clean/Squat: refers to a clean/squat pulled high and caught high. Big uppper body contribution. Contrast with squatclean or squat snatch.

Squat Clean/Squat: refers to a clean/squat caught low - in a squat. Big Hip contribution. Contrast with powerclean or powersnatch.

In the "power" mode the weight comes to me; in the "squat" version I come to the weight.

It won't make much difference which you do. Play with both - experience their advantages and disadvantages. Some "power" loads will require the "squat" on fatigueing within the set.

There's a power-squat continuum with load, speed, and hip's contribution increasing together from the high catch power versions to the low catch squat version.