CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #251
Amber Mathwig

Profile:
Re: Kick the Sugar/Grains habit Challenge II

Jennifer - I'd be scared to cheat with that type of punishment looming on the horizon. Then again, I found the burpees in this challenge to be very soul-satisfying.

Lauren - I saw you already got some good info, but also check out Mike O'D's The IF Life Very basic and to the point, but somewhere in there I read that calorie cycling is not detrimental.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #252
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

I really meant to write WFS for the IF Life link, note to self: don't post when sleepy.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #253
Lauren Hall

Profile:

Hey guys,
Amber mentioned last week (or whenever) that it seemed easier to stay on board when she fasted. I was still stuck on the eating 6 meals a day because it somehow increases metabolism (I've been disabused of this idea since), so fasting didn't seem like a good idea.

However, I did some research on IF and fasted Sunday (to make up for cheats) to Monday at noon, and then again today until around 11am, after my workout. I must say that fasting has made everything easier. Granted, it's only been two fasts, but I didn't feel like I needed grains, and the fast seemed to do away with the sugar/grain cravings that I usually get hardcore after cheats. Today was easy too, and it was much simpler to keep the calorie count down (you know exactly how many calories you're eating when you're not eating anything). So, I'm a confirmed believer. I'll be doing shorter fasts for the rest of the week (possibly with the exception of tomorrow, since that's my rest day). It's also an incentive to avoid the alcohol, since fasting after drinking just doesn't fly.

At any rate, thanks for mentioning that Amber! Hope everyone else is doing well. Any other good advice is always welcome!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #254
Katie Jones

Profile:

Okay. I was really good at the BBQ place this weekend, had a sirloin steak and a sweet potato; quite excellent. But last night I ate m&m's, a small bowl of pasta, and cereal. Oh, and an awesome piece of banana bread, but the rest I could've done without. Looks like a lot of burpees this week...

Lauren, keep us updated about your IFing; I'm going to try it out one of these days and would love to know your experiences.

P.S. Welcome, Jennifer!

Last edited by Katie Jones : 12-16-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #255
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Lauren - I think part of the reason it is easier, because once you cut food out of the first part of your day, it leaves a lot to eat for the rest of the day! I started eating early last night, without a good plan in place for what i was going to consume, which left me totally vulnerable to the sweets (not that I minded today, homemade peanut brittle is what it is and should never ever be denied).

Hi Katie and all others!

Peace!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #256
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Ladies,

I've been IFing for over six months now, and it's been one of the best things I've done for my diet. A few tips:
  • Keep it INTERMITTENT - mix up your fasting hours, lengths and days.
  • Make sure you get all your calories in during the feeding window - which can be hard work if you need a lot of calories. Planning is key.
  • Listen to your body - on days when I plan to fast but wake up ravenous, I EAT.
  • And finally, as Mike O'Donnell says, don't IFOC (IF on Crap). It doesn't give you license to eat junk during your feeding window - that defeats the whole purpose.

Also, if you need another reminder of why you should get off the crack, check my blog post from today. (Generally WFS, although I do drop an f-bomb on occasion.)

Melissa
Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #257
Jennifer Woods

Profile:

I sent Melissa that card on her blog this morning with a list of all the bad food I wanted to get in before the next challenge. On the list was the anadama toast from our local breakfast hot spot, twizzlers and of course, my mom's homemade mac & cheese. I'm afraid of her punishments during the challenge, so I'll get them in now before it is considered cheating.
It is amazing the amount of junk food that surrounds us during the holidays. I try to eat clean, but people bring in homemade bake goods to work and my family feels it is necessary to leave holiday treats on my door step. I wanted to stay pretty clean until this Sunday, but couldn't not resist my mom's pineapple upside down cake today. Not only does it make me feel like crap the next day, but my workouts tank too!

I AM SO READY FOR THIS CHALLENGE TO START!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #258
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Melissa - good post. Last week when I was eating crap food, I started making a list of what I was feeling, thinking, etc; then a list of how my body felt after ingesting the crap. That list continued to be added to almost 24 hours later, and ended with a total of 11. Good food for thought for me though.

Jennifer - I'm a total sucker for homemade treats. I can say no to so many things, no matter how much I used to love eating it - but homemade desserts are a downfall. That's where I need to learn moderation (instead of just eating until they are gone).
Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #259
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
Melissa - good post. Last week when I was eating crap food, I started making a list of what I was feeling, thinking, etc; then a list of how my body felt after ingesting the crap. That list continued to be added to almost 24 hours later, and ended with a total of 11. Good food for thought for me though.

what did you end up with on your list? it would be interesting to compare.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #260
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
what did you end up with on your list? it would be interesting to compare.
The immediate effects:
1) Immediate gas
2) Lower abdominal pain
3) Yucky taste in mouth (not right away, more like after a couple hours)
4) Extreme stomach distention from bloat (if I was in civilian land, this would me off, because I wear fitted clothes)
5) Nausea

About 12 hours later, after a good nights sleep:
6) Headache upon waking up
7) Lethargy
8) Still gassy - how unattractive
9) Weight gain - like 5 lbs or more, usually goes away a day later provided I eat clean
10) Dehydration - extreme compared to usual morning thirst
11) Rt sided chest pain - heartburn?

All of the above happen when I have grains (the culprits this time were donuts and pizza), only a few happen when I have SMALL amounts of sugar. I'm glad I decided to start taking notes, because otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the difference between ingesting grains and sugar (keyword again being SMALL amounts). I might try small amounts of dairy again to see what happens.