CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Best Fat Loss/Weight Loss Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Emily when she asked this question several weeks ago and ignored it.

IT'S YOUR F'ING DIET. IT'S NOT YOUR F'ING PROGRAM!

No, it's not the only way, but it's been proven time and again. Since I don't know you, your exercise history, or your nutritional habits, I can do no better than to commend this program to you. Zone portions. Paleo foods. CrossFit WOD. Don't substitute. Don't deviate. Don't add to the program.

Train and eat for funtion, and form will follow. I promise you. I can't make it any clearer.

Subtle, yet to the point.
PM me when the MOD's strike, I'll cover for ya.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Wise move
Thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Green View Post
please consider me no longer in search of advice on this subject, in this thread.
No offense, but I don't think you ever were in search of advice. I think you were hoping someone would bless your current diet. Most people ask this same question and ignore the usual answers (Paleo/Zone/CrossFit) until somebody suggests a little extra HIIT or some ****.

We're just trying to save you time and help with your program. If you want to take the advice, great. If you're in a better position to evaluate your prospects, that's ok, too. Why am I so adamant about this? I've been there. I CF'd for weeks without following a diet. I was just a stronger, fitter, but still chubby guy. Then I listened to other people, got my **** squared away, and lost 40 pounds while getting stronger and fitter.

Weighing and measuring sucks, but it will teach you how to eat. Once you get this figured out, you can toss the cups. But learn it. Study it. Live it. You'll see the results. Time is the one commodity you can't get back. Don't waste yours like I wasted mine.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 05-08-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
No offense, but I don't think you ever were in search of advice. I think you were hoping someone would bless your current diet. Most people ask this same question and ignore the usual answers (Paleo/Zone/CrossFit) until somebody suggests a little extra HIIT or some ****.

We're just trying to save you time and help with your program. If you want to take the advice, great. If you're in a better position to evaluate your prospects, that's ok, too. Why am I so adamant about this? I've been there. I CF'd for weeks without following a diet. I was just a stronger, fitter, but still chubby guy. Then I listened to other people, got my **** squared away, and lost 40 pounds while getting stronger and fitter.

Weighing and measuring sucks, but it will teach you how to eat. Once you get this figured out, you can toss the cups. But learn it. Study it. Live it. You'll see the results. Time is the one commodity you can't get back. Don't waste yours like I wasted mine.
Huh? Bless my current diet? I could care less what you or anyone else thinks of my diet, just as I'm sure you could care less what I think of the Zone. I wanted to know people's opinions on the best type of training for fat loss, hence my original post. Instead, I got several stereotypical "do the Zone" replies not at all relevant to the best type of exercise for fat loss.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
Eric Machus

Profile:

I agree w/Gant. Diet plays a huge role. Exercise helps a lot, resistance training particularly to retain muscle and lose flab.

I found HIIT very effective for cardio fitness and fat loss. I tended/tend to run a lot (it works for me). I found doing fast 1/4 and 1/2 mile intervals with 1/10 or 1/4 mile recoveries for 3 or 4 miles (20 - 27 minutes) worked/works wonders. I used to run 5 or 6 miles steady state pretty regularly and cut that out in the winter to run inside on the treadmill. After a couple of months of interval training my next 5 miler I ripped off in just about 40 minutes flat, an improvement of several minutes.

That said I got a great quote from a buddy. "You can't outrun the fork." Truer words were never spoken ;>

p.s. I dropped about 35 lbs while getting stronger doing regular runs and BB. About 1/2 way through I started incorporating Crossfit by basically doing the CFWU as my workout with some ab and other presses thrown in. I am not sure weight loss accelerated but body composition certainly did. I think multi-joint movements + a lot more leg work (besides running)...

ooh, other critical change that was/is part of my CF/zone transformation. eat more freqent but smaller much better meals. I make sure to eat breakfast. Typically instant oatmeal ( i know, i know... better than fricking pop tarts or McD's tho) and some protein (i find microwave eggstarts/beaters whatever with salsa) a good combo. I also incorporated smoothies as a tremendous snack (a few frozen strawberries, a little low-fat yogurt or milk, a scoop of costco protein powder, dash of honey, water, ice... sh*t rocks). I eat a light breakfast, lunch and dinner (aiming for 400 - 700 calories) with a smoothie type snack in between. thus eating about ever 2-3 hours. really smooths out my blood sugar and helps me not binge or crappy snacks. sometimes at the 2-3 hour mark I am not really hungry. Regardless I will munch an apple w/ dab (tsp) of peanut butter or some almonds. Eating when not hungry seems counter-intuitive but I found pre-emptive, good snacking forestalls finding myself starving and binging on crap. The combination of cross-fit + better meals in the 5-6 meals a day got my metabolism pretty fired up. basically eat a lot more veggies (broccoli, corn (i know high GI) but better than chips) too.

This combo worked for me. I can gain weight dynamically ( practically visibly) but I can also get in shape and strong quickly. Trying to get the CF/Zone ideal has worked wonders. I can only imagine if I got a scale and actually used it ;>

I still can't figure out how many blocks... I know I read fricking CFJ #21 or whatever but it seemed to suggest what seemed like a retardedly high number of blocks and I've never delved deeper to figure it out yet.

Any, sorry for the ridiculously long post. I started editing and got out of control.

To sum up (a la Inigo Montoya) 1) eat much less and much better 2) eat 4 - 6 meals a day 3) incorporate high intensity training, preferably of the interval cardio and CF type. You will drop weight fast. planning is easy, execution is hard.

Last edited by Eric Machus : 05-08-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
Ryan Green

Profile:

Thanks Eric. As I said in my original post, I eat a healthy diet with moderate portions, and I definitely agree that you can't outwork poor eating habits. That said, I'll probably incorporate more HIIT training into my routine and less maximum strength training.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

Crossfit in conjunction with the Zone is a fat loss diet! Of course, it is not the only diet. The Zone diet will take you to greatly improved performance and increased energy level. These two side effects will allow you to train harder and more often with much quicker recovery. Gant Grimes has the best answer to the original question. The Zone is the way to go. Study the Zone, do it, do the WOD and you will see the results. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #18
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Peck Fletcher View Post
Crossfit in conjunction with the Zone is a fat loss diet! Of course, it is not the only diet. The Zone diet will take you to greatly improved performance and increased energy level. These two side effects will allow you to train harder and more often with much quicker recovery. Gant Grimes has the best answer to the original question. The Zone is the way to go. Study the Zone, do it, do the WOD and you will see the results. Good luck!
Thanks man, but the Zone isn't for me. PS I visit Murfreesboro regularly, I love it there. Beautiful area!
Old 05-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #19
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Also, Alex, thanks for the well thought of reply. I guess my frustration comes from knowing that if I lost 30 lbs, I'd be able to do 21 pullups, instead of 5. But I like your suggestion, maybe I'll stick to the metcon WODS, and then on max effort days do HIIT rowing.
No, you'll be able to do 21 pullups by doing a lot of pull-ups. I take the logic the other way. Do the wods, pull ups will suck, but you will lose weight and get better at crossfit at the same time as opposed to one or the other.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #20
Steven Low

Profile:

For 90%, it's the diet.

For the rest of the 10% these things will work the most effectively: metcons, HIIT, tabatas, heavy lifting

Sleep is also important.